ADVERTISEMENT

Jax State @ UTEP MBB game, prediction thread

groundrounds

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2017
The Mountains of New Mexico
The Miners come home to regroup at the Don where they are 10-2. This starts a home stand of 3 games with Jax, a stumbling Liberty, then a week off before a rematch with the Aggies the following Saturday.
A big question in CUSA is can Sam Houston hold their own after a very fortunate start with 4 of their first 6 games having been at home. CUSA teams are struggling on the road so far this season.
UTEP's schedule looks a lot easier than the beginning of conference play with 6 of the last 10 games at home which includes the top teams in the conference. And we'll see the worst teams on the road.
Prognosticators are saying UTEP 69-Jax 65.
Here is a very good breakdown https://www.docsports.com/free-pick...-college-basketball-picks-best-bets-odds.html

I'll have some of what the experts are drinking:
UTEP 69
Peckerheads 65

Last edited:
UTEP is a 4 point favorite.

Right now, I don't have faith in this team.

Jacksonville State 75
UTEP 70

Have to beat JV and Lib to get a big crowd for aggy.

It won't move the needle if UTEP wins both games. The casual fans are done for the year. You will get the usual bump in attendance for the game, but there won't be more than 8,000 (probably a lot less than that).

It won't move the needle if UTEP wins both games. The casual fans are done for the year. You will get the usual bump in attendance for the game, but there won't be more than 8,000 (probably a lot less than that).
Should play at Memorial Gym. It’ll give the illusion of a big crowd. 🤡

Home teams always win this year in pillow fight CUSA.

UTEP 69
Jax. 60

Last edited:
Not so fast Miner haters. Be ready for a 3 game sweep to catch up with the other pretenders for the conference crown... Golding better get his s##t together and get the 3 freshman on the court to run and gun ..
First team to score 80, wins...
Saturday game expect 6K then again for NMSU should see 8K for the shoot out ...
Get involved Miner fans-its our time now..
Can I get a high five ...

Not so fast Miner haters. Be ready for a 3 game sweep to catch up with the other pretenders for the conference crown... Golding better get his s##t together and get the 3 freshman on the court to run and gun ..
First team to score 80, wins...
Saturday game expect 6K then again for NMSU should see 8K for the shoot out ...
Get involved Miner fans-its our time now..
Can I get a high five ...
One of these days you are gonna be right. One of these days.

"Every day guy" Otis Frazier brings grit, leadership to UTEP men's basketball

Bret Bloomquist
El Paso Times

On a superficial level, Otis Frazier doesn't have the resume of a Conference USA player of the week, which he was a week and a half ago. The 6-foot-6 junior swingplayer is not usually the flashy scorer who makes the glamor plays that fill up highlight reels. Heading into Thursday night's home game against Jacksonville State, Frazier is third on the team in scoring and rebounding, first in steals, fifth in assists and the Miners' best defensive player.
UTEP's Otis Frazier III attempts to get past a University of Wyoming defender during the WestStar Sun Bowl Invitational at the Don Haskins Center on Dec. 21, 2023.

He sees his role — and coach Joe Golding very much agrees with him — as a glue player and team leader. "Taking more leadership," Frazier of the natural evolution of his role in his second season with the program. "If you look at last year, I was kind of just average, the way I looked at it.

"I've been trying to take an older guy, leadership role, going in and doing whatever my teams asks me."So what exactly does that mean? "Doing the stuff other people don't want to do," Frazier said. "Grinding stuff, getting rebounds, defensive stuff. I'm trying to teach the younger guys stuff you learn when you're older."

That was all on display the last time the Miners were at home. Frazier had 21 points with a school-record tying eight steals on a Thursday game against Middle Tennessee, then followed that up with a six-assist game against Western Kentucky that earned him CUSA player of the week.
He scored 11 points in the loss last week to Louisiana Tech to continue the best basketball of his college career, then was knocked out of the Sam Houston game with a back injury after a hard crash to the floor.
He'll be back Thursday night against Jacksonville State and his return is most welcome for a team that is 2-4 in CUSA but now has three consecutive games at home, where it hasn't lost in league play.
"He's playing really well, he's playing with a ton of energy," Golding said. "Here's the great part: We really don't run anything for him. We run stuff for other guys, he's the guy who goes and makes plays.

"He's our best defender on ball, him and David Terrell. He's going a great job on opposing players. Offensively he's attacking the basket. Obviously when you make shots it makes it better. He's going to the offensive glass and making some tough, winning plays right now for us." That adds up to a player respected by his teammates. "I tell you where he's really grown in my opinion is leadership," Golding said. "There's times he's said some things that are uncomfortable, pier to pier, player to player. "That's not easy leadership but we need guys to step up and do it. He's taken that role and the guys respect him because he brings it every day. When you're an every day guy and you bring energy and toughness, players respect that and your voice becomes louder." This is what was expected of him when he transferred in last year from George Mason to get closer to his home in the Phoenix area. A season ago he established himself as an elite defender willing to battle all over the court and do the little things.

He was always the glue. Now he's the leader as well of a team that he feels is about to break through. "The season, obviously, hasn't been great with wins and losses, but it's a learning curve," Frazier said. "I can't wait until March, honestly."

Bret Bloomquist can be reached at bbloomquist@elpasotimes.com; @Bretbloomquist on Twitter.

"Jacksonville State and UTEP are coming into this matchup with identical records, but are two very different teams as it pertains to efficiency and overall statistics. Jacksonville State is just 4-6 on the road this season, however, UTEP is just 5-12 against the spread this season and has very low efficiency from beyond the arc and from the field, at 31% from downtown. UTEP has only hit the money line in 11 of their last 29 games and I think Jacksonville State can even win this game outright as they were previously on a six-game winning streak and continue to play good basketball.
Take Jacksonville State +4 in this matchup.

Prediction: Jacksonville State +4"

https://statsalt.com/games/ncaab/2-1-2024/jacksonville-state-vs-utep-prediction-6775/

So for years you were allowed to bring into the Don an unopened bottle of water. Not anymore! Ushers said new policy no longer allowed. But of course they have water available for sale at the concessions ($6 a bottle). A dwindling fan base already pissed off with a mediocre basketball program gets even more screwed over. F-you UTEP!

So for years you were allowed to bring into the Don an unopened bottle of water. Not anymore! Ushers said new policy no longer allowed. But of course they have water available for sale at the concessions ($6 a bottle). A dwindling fan base already pissed off with a mediocre basketball program gets even more screwed over. F-you UTEP!

You can get water for free inside.

Or, you can just say you need water to take your medicine.

Sorry Joe, but you’re unable to complain about UTEP here. Just be happy they perform for you. It’s great to go 32 years without NCAA wins and 67 without a bowl win. Take the price increases in stride and don’t expect anything else. Inflation is beneficial to UTEP.

Just remember it’s okay to predict them to lose every game though.

If they can't get Teich, can they get the Kappy/Owens team on the ESPN+ broadcast? If they could get them for the YouTube broadcast, it seems like we could get them for at least some of the ESPN+ broadcasts. This duo is terrible

Stupid foul by Frazier, and bad decision by Golding to put him back in the game at that juncture

• Angry
Reactions: Lil_Train
Mando is a big wrestling fan. He used to host a terrible radio show about pro wrestling on KROD called “Slammin It.” You can tell when he goes into his Hulk Hogan voice mode for the big plays.

Reactions: EPUTEP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT