ADVERTISEMENT

Who Does CUSA Add?

You have. What started out as me thinking about mailing you a tin foil hat to go along with your conspiracy theory, has morphed into me wanting to mail you funding so that you can take your, in-my-eyes now credible theory, and expose ESPN for the dirty bastards they appear to be.
They didn’t “touch each other” because it wouldn’t have made sense. Are Rice, UNT, UTSA, UAB, Charlotte, and FAU, MAC schools? Why would UNT and FAU go back to the Sun Belt?

Why would Marshall go back to the MAC? Been there, done that. Go join the SBC with your old 1AA rivals, along with Old Dominion and James Madison. Why would ODU and JMU join the MAC, when they can join Marshall in the Sun Belt?

Is Southern Miss ever considered a MAC prospect? No. All being with ESPN, means it’s easier to ask them “how much for x?” That’s it. There’s no conspiracy.

I think you’d want UTEP and NMSU in the same division so visiting teams play both on one swing.
Sure, but the divisions would be imbalanced. Unless you’re shipping GCU with the Texas teams. Not sure they would be all that happy about it.

They didn’t “touch each other” because it wouldn’t have made sense. Are Rice, UNT, UTSA, UAB, Charlotte, and FAU, MAC schools? Why would UNT and FAU go back to the Sun Belt?

Why would Marshall go back to the MAC? Been there, done that. Go join the SBC with your old 1AA rivals, along with Old Dominion and James Madison. Why would ODU and JMU join the MAC, when they can join Marshall in the Sun Belt?

Is Southern Miss ever considered a MAC prospect? No. All being with ESPN, means it’s easier to ask them “how much for x?” That’s it. There’s no conspiracy.
So why didn't the AAC take Louisiana or App St or CC? All of them have spent time in the top 25 the last two years. Yeah Charlotte and their 12k fans per game is better than a top 25 team that gets 30k.

I already explained it all. I don't care what you think. The evidence shows a different story.

So why didn't the AAC take Louisiana or App St or CC? All of them have spent time in the top 25 the last two years. Yeah Charlotte and their 12k fans per game is better than a top 25 team that gets 30k.

I already explained it all. I don't care what you think. The evidence shows a different story.
If they care about markets and recruiting, that’s why they wouldn’t take Louisiana, CC, or App St. One good run of football, doesn’t mean they’re the best candidate. Continue on believing what you want. No conspiracy here. Everyone in CUSA wanted out, they went to leagues where they were wanted.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
If they care about markets and recruiting, that’s why they wouldn’t take Louisiana, CC, or App St. One good run of football, doesn’t mean they’re the best candidate. Continue on believing what you want. No conspiracy here. Everyone in CUSA wanted out, they went to leagues where they were wanted.
Why do you think those schools wanted out? Could it because CUSA didn't have the TV exposure and financial backing of ESPN?

Why do you think those schools wanted out? Could it because CUSA didn't have the TV exposure and financial backing of ESPN?
Yes, because they chose that years before. ESPN didn’t choose revenge on the worst FBS league. Just how it worked out. You have to be kind of stupid to believe ESPN told the AAC, “only take 6 CUSA teams”.

The CAA has spurned ESPN too, why haven’t they taken revenge of them yet? The A10 and Big East aren’t ESPN properties either. I wonder why other ESPN leagues haven’t raided them?

You are being far too literal.

Yes, because they chose that years before. ESPN didn’t choose revenge on the worst FBS league. Just how it worked out. You have to be kind of stupid to believe ESPN told the AAC, “only take 6 CUSA teams”.

The CAA has spurned ESPN too, why haven’t they taken revenge of them yet? The A10 and Big East aren’t ESPN properties either. I wonder why other ESPN leagues haven’t raided them?
And you have to be stupid to think AAC expanded to 14 on their own. Didn't everyone said CUSA was stupid for going to 14?

I don't know didn't the CAA lose their two biggest brands?

Reactions: kickballpro
Trying to synthesize the news over the last day with the caveat that you don't know how much you can trust any of these sources. Taking them at face value:

- CUSA is negotiating with NMSU, Liberty, and UConn.
- UConn and NMSU deny this.
- Marshall is having second thoughts.
- Marshall leaves for the Sun Belt.
- MAC is looking at WKU and MT.

What struck me was the initial speculation last week that CUSA was looking west (NMSU, SHSU, and Tarleton I think was the first leak). The leak last night was 2 eastern teams. Was last night simply to try to hold the Eastern teams as all 3 of them were on the way out? With the denial from UConn, was that the last straw for them? If so, I would expect there to be a lot more smoke with the MAC rumblings tonight.

Add on that the better FCS prospects have allegedly told CUSA no (Missouri St. and SHSU).

Funny how in 24 hours, we've gone from hoping that we had something decent in the works to being on the brink of oblivion.

From the AAC news last week to now, I was confident that there was too much money out there not to have the conference go on. Tonight, I've changed my mind and I don't see CUSA surviving. Pretty much everyone's left and I just don't see enough calls up available to make a difference.

Enjoy the rest of this year and hope we can continue our success next. After that, I think we're in for a world of hurt.

Or I could be wrong.

Trying to synthesize the news over the last day with the caveat that you don't know how much you can trust any of these sources. Taking them at face value:

What struck me was the initial speculation last week that CUSA was looking west (NMSU, SHSU, and Tarleton I think was the first leak). The leak last night was 2 eastern teams. Was last night simply to try to hold the Eastern teams as all 3 of them were on the way out? With the denial from UConn, was that the last straw for them? If so, I would expect there to be a lot more smoke with the MAC rumblings tonight.

Add on that the better FCS prospects have allegedly told CUSA no (Missouri St. and SHSU).

Funny how in 24 hours, we've gone from hoping that we had something decent in the works to being on the brink of oblivion.

From the AAC news last week to now, I was confident that there was too much money out there not to have the conference go on. Tonight, I've changed my mind and I don't see CUSA surviving. Pretty much everyone's left and I just don't see enough calls up available to make a difference.

Enjoy the rest of this year and hope we can continue our success next. After that, I think we're in for a world of hurt.

Or I could be wrong.
My only question then, is if as you say CUSA is done, then so what nobody gets the 30 Million? I don't see CUSA just letting that go. They don't have many options left, but whatever option allows them to receive that 30 Million, I'm sure they'll make sure to take.

My only question then, is if as you say CUSA is done, then so what nobody gets the 30 Million? I don't see CUSA just letting that go. They don't have many options left, but whatever option allows them to receive that 30 Million, I'm sure they'll make sure to take.
By my math, that's $11M per school in exit fees, not including the other monetary perks for being FBS and NCAA basketball credits. CUSA leadership would have to be totally inept to let that slip away.
That's assuming WKU and MTSU leave which I think is a certainty.

By my math, that's $11M per school in exit fees, not including the other monetary perks for being FBS and NCAA basketball credits. CUSA leadership would have to be totally inept to let that slip away.
That's assuming WKU and MTSU leave which I think is a certainty.
I agree and thought the money would be enough to keep the conference alive. But at some point, you have to add teams.

Assuming WKU and MT stay, I think it's manageable. NMSU would be in and I think we'd have a shot at Liberty. That's 7, and you could probably find an FCS team to move up. Add UMass or UConn football only to get to 9 if you'd like.

If they go, the best case scenario is only having to add 4 teams. NMSU is still probably in, but I would doubt Liberty would be.

Worst case scenario, it's us and LT. NMSU says no (I think that's unlikely though they say they haven't been contacted yet), and FIU drops. There's 6 call ups.

Assuming Missouri St. and SHSU are nos, who's left in the area? SFA is probably also a no with SHSU a no. I've read ACU and McNeese. No offense, but we're going from the Omar Thomas side of the bench to the Merle Heimer side pretty quickly.

Last edited:
“Hope springs eternal: “it is human nature always to find fresh cause for optimism.”.

Some FCS AD parks right next to you in a bar and he says “CUSA wants us to join but I don’t know?”. You’re a UTEP alum, so what do you say? (Hoping it’s not a NoWins at that bar).

You get to play in Texas (it’s all about the recruiting baby)

[AD] “ How does coming to UTEP help recruit?”

El Paso is just a three hour drive to the Permian Basin, man! And El Paso has come leaps and bounds along in HS. Some of Texas’s top backs have come out of EP within the past few years. And….aaand no one recruits New Mexico. UTEP’s starting qb was “Mr New Mexico” and no one gave him a sniff. He is a major reason we’re off to a hot start.

[FCS AD] “And basketball?”

“You wanna play AT UTEP AND AT La Tech every year?!”. Right behind Gonzaga, La Tech is the top mid major to play this year”.

[FCS AD] “You all have no ESPN contract”.

“I don’t see your school on ESPN plus often, nor any money games against a FBS opponent? It’s not worth their (monetary) time for viewership. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Look at UTSA? They had to start somewhere, Mi Rey?”

[FCS AD] “Travel costs are tough on our budget!”

Once again, UTSA had too start somewhere? You make that budget happen. Sell your history WHEN you are on TV and sell the licensing merchandise to your name like UTEP does (66 team). Hell, Marshall sells a horrible tragedy and “We are Marshall!” that came out of that tragedy. Sad but true. Just calling a spade a spade.

You buy another round……..

[FCS AD] “You’re a one bid league for NCAA’s. La Tech wins the tourney and is in but what if we win 25 plus games.”

True. The NCAA committee has made it clear, every mid major has to put some big boys on the schedule. No if’s, and’s or but’s and it’s still no guarantee even if you beat them. WKU is a great example. This is not horse shoes, close doesn’t count. Name a mid major that was the exception? Also, I didn’t even see your team on STADIUM TV? Once again, back to the cake slogan.

[Sauced by now FCS AD] “Playing in mid December is not ideal of bowl deals?”

I don’t see the MAC biatching about it or people saying “ah, screw going to Albuquerque!”. You all were not exactly lighting up the FCS playoffs like NDSU or JMU and you’re going to turn down that bowl check?! We all got womens programs that need money, by law.

Just sayin’.

Last edited:

Or I could be wrong.
IMO it was always oblivion (or as Mike Tyson says bolivian) IDK who the football gods are, but I do know they don't give a shit about UTEP football (Unfortunate). But what the hell, CUSA or not, we will still be playing football at UTEP.

IMO it was always oblivion (or as Mike Tyson says bolivian) IDK who the football gods are, but I do know they don't give a shit about UTEP football (Unfortunate). But what the hell, CUSA or not, we will still be playing football at UTEP.
And they will be playing football longer than your tattoo’s last when you 80 years old, lol.

j/k

Reactions: develman
I agree and thought the money would be enough to keep the conference alive. But at some you have to add teams.

Assuming WKU and MT stay, I think it's manageable. NMSU would be in and I think we'd have a shot at Liberty. That's 7, and you could probably find an FCS team to move up. Add UMass or UConn football only to get to 9 if you'd like.

If they go, the best case scenario is only having to add 4 teams. NMSU is still probably in, but I would doubt Liberty would be.

Worst case scenario, it's us and LT. NMSU says no (I think that's unlikely though they say they haven't been contacted yet), and FIU drops. There's 6 call ups.

Assuming Missouri St. and SHSU are nos, who's left in the area? SFA is probably also a no with SHSU a no. I've read ACU and McNeese. No offense, but we're going from the Omar Thomas side of the bench to the Merle Heimer side pretty quickly.
UCONN said they had "exploratory" conversations with CUSA and everyone jumps on the it's not happening train.

MAC says they will "explore" expansion but clearly say nothing is imminent and there's no urgency to expand. Everyone jumps on the it's happening CUSA is dead train.

Seems a little biased to me but what do I know.

UCONN said they had "exploratory" conversations with CUSA and everyone jumps on the it's not happening train.

MAC says they will "explore" expansion but clearly say nothing is imminent and there's no urgency to expand. Everyone jumps on the it's happening CUSA is dead train.

If I knew the future, I'd be a billionaire right now.

Like I said, I'm taking the statements at face value. I have no idea who's being truthful or not. I just found it suspicious that CUSA puts out a leak that they are onsidering eastern teams right before the eastern flank is rumored to be out the door. Imminent or not, it just kind of tells me there are a lot of legs to the MAC rumors.

Last edited:
And you have to be stupid to think AAC expanded to 14 on their own. Didn't everyone said CUSA was stupid for going to 14?

I don't know didn't the CAA lose their two biggest brands?
Going to 14 protects you from raids. ACC, Big 10, SEC, all are at 14. Speaking of which, if the Big 12 takes 2 when OU and UT leave, they will be safe at 12, instead of below 10 like they were before their expansion. Safety in numbers. CUSA would have been “fine” even after they lost 6, but then they lost 3 more.

Everyone does what’s best for them and with the backing of their tv partner(s).

Here’s the difference. A representative from UConn spoke about said rumors. Have we heard from WKU and MTSU about these rumors?

Or I could be wrong.
Thank you for not suggesting ridiculous expansion candidates and letting reality set in.

Going to 14 protects you from raids. ACC, Big 10, SEC, all are at 14. Speaking of which, if the Big 12 takes 2 when OU and UT leave, they will be safe at 12, instead of below 10 like they were before their expansion. Safety in numbers. CUSA would have been “fine” even after they lost 6, but then they lost 3 more.

Everyone does what’s best for them and with the backing of their tv partner(s).
CUSA would have been fine if they were signed with ESPN.

Maybe. Doesn’t mean there’s a vendetta against them. Or an evil plot to destroy UTEP, FIU, and LaTech. Nobody is hurt except those 3.
Once again the only two conferences that were poached or attempted to be poached are non ESPN controlled conferences.

You don't see the big picture.

In the moment it's just those 3 schools. ESPN isn't playing checkers they're planning 10 moves ahead on the chess board.

With CUSA gone ESPN now has control of 3 of the 4 G conferences and can influence decisions on voting matters.

It has exclusive control of 2 of the 5 P conferences. They share media rights with the other 3 P conferences. All three of those conferences will soon have to renegotiate. With a weakened Big 12 they can now let it go or get it at a much lower price. It will be interesting to see if one of those 3 P conferences signs exclusively with ESPN and thus giving ESPN major control of all decisions.

Once again the only two conferences that were poached or attempted to be poached are non ESPN controlled conferences.

You don't see the big picture.

In the moment it's just those 3 schools. ESPN isn't playing checkers they're planning 10 moves ahead on the chess board.

With CUSA gone ESPN now has control of 3 of the 4 G conferences and can influence decisions on voting matters.

It has exclusive control of 2 of the 5 P conferences. They share media rights with the other 3 P conferences. All three of those conferences will soon have to renegotiate. With a weakened Big 12 they can now let it go or get it at a much lower price. It will be interesting to see if one of those 3 P conferences signs exclusively with ESPN and thus giving ESPN major control of all decisions.
Those conferences were “poached” because they had “valuable” properties. Not to just take them and have them.

What decisions are the G5 conferences making? They’re a fly on a cows ass. Their decisions don’t matter. That’s why they’re playing on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday nights.

ESPN cannot have all P5 conferences. They don’t have enough television windows. No conference is going to have their marquee matches on ESPN2 instead of Fox or CBS. If Bama and LSU is on ABC, the Big 10 doesn’t want an ESPN game going head to head. CBS might be out, but Fox isn’t going anywhere. Even if they have to overpay, they will.

ESPN has to delegate some Big 12 and SEC games to ESPN+, they don’t have that much more room.

Those conferences were “poached” because they had “valuable” properties. Not to just take them and have them.

What decisions are the G5 conferences making? They’re a fly on a cows ass. Their decisions don’t matter. That’s why they’re playing on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday nights.

ESPN cannot have all P5 conferences. They don’t have enough television windows. No conference is going to have their marquee matches on ESPN2 instead of Fox or CBS. If Bama and LSU is on ABC, the Big 10 doesn’t want an ESPN game going head to head. CBS might be out, but Fox isn’t going anywhere. Even if they have to overpay, they will.

ESPN has to delegate some Big 12 and SEC games to ESPN+, they don’t have that much more room.
If 11 of our 14 members are "valuable properties" then why was our TV deal shit?

These are some of the things FBS commissioners have to agree on and vote. ESPN will influence whatever makes them the most money.

ESPN doesn't want all the P5 conferences just the most valuable ones.

If 11 of our 14 members are "valuable properties" then why was our TV deal shit?

These are some of the things FBS commissioners have to agree on and vote. ESPN will influence whatever makes them the most money.

ESPN doesn't want all the P5 conferences just the most valuable ones.
“Value”, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Does being in a conference with UTEP make Old Dominion valuable? Not really. Does Marshall being in a conference make Old Dominion more valuable? Possibly. Certainly makes for better TV. With what should be a better crowd and a heightened “rivalry”. Old Dominion never had a shot at that happening with UTEP.

Again, Rice and UNT aren’t being added for 300,000 Thursday night football viewers. They’re “valuable” because they give the other teams access to recruits. That is why they’re “valuable” to the AAC. Their TV deal is likely going down, there’s no way that it doesn’t, because they’re not that “valuable” to ESPN. But that’s their problem, not ours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT