ADVERTISEMENT

Who Does CUSA Add?

It may not be a great move for those schools going to the AAC. Schools like UTSA and UNT don’t have deep pockets and will have to pay CUSA exit fees, $3 million per school. It looks like the AAC will be protecting the current AAC schools by offering less of the TV revenue to the incoming schools.
UNT actually does have deep pockets and it would behoove you to go see their “newer” facilities. Very impressive

It doesn’t matter when, they will be accepted within the next two weeks. Any other movement will follow that.
MW could wait two years or longer to make their move. We're still waiting to see what the SB will do. Like I said that's a stupid bet.

Might take a few years but constantly having bowl seasons will get UTEP invited one day.

That has always been the objective, and it has never been reached. We did not dominate the WAC in our final days. We did not dominate CUSA in any of its incarnations. We have consistently shown who we are as an athletic program, we are cheap and uninterested in development. In over two decades as a Miner fan I have not seen a commitment to athletics. We reap what we sow.

Our best bet is stick it out in CUSA, drag NMSU and Texas St. into CUSA. The MWC has never wanted us and they never will. If UTEP was not desperate to abandon the CUSA ship I say we should reject any MWC invites. (not that any are coming) F the snotty, think of themselves as Ivy league schools that singled us out for exclusion out the MWC.

Our best bet is stick it out in CUSA, drag NMSU and Texas St. into CUSA. The MWC has never wanted us and they never will.
They did and UTEP blew it, twice according to some sources. That's why you are hearing on sports media the MW publicly stating, "No" to UTEP. Utah State took UTEP's slot.

That has always been the objective, and it has never been reached. We did not dominate the WAC in our final days. We did not dominate CUSA in any of its incarnations. We have consistently shown who we are as an athletic program, we are cheap and uninterested in development. In over two decades as a Miner fan I have not seen a commitment to athletics. We reap what we sow.

Our best bet is stick it out in CUSA, drag NMSU and Texas St. into CUSA. The MWC has never wanted us and they never will. If UTEP was not desperate to abandon the CUSA ship I say we should reject any MWC invites. (not that any are coming) F the snotty, think of themselves as Ivy league schools that singled us out for exclusion out the MWC.
Texas St isn’t going to join CUSA without Rice, UNT, and UTSA. Fantasyland

Reactions: kickballpro
The sky is falling! It’s just wait and see what happens. Can’t pick up El Paso and move it closer so now its Senter’s job to figure out what to do.

Reactions: nattybry
The sky is falling! It’s just wait and see what happens. Can’t pick up El Paso and move it closer so now its Senter’s job to figure out what to do.
Yup. But ya have to let the spouse nag after you didn't except the job that now pays their spouse's more and there is a brand new Range Rover in the driveway (yes, this really does happen in El Paso with some corporate employees).

This is a doomsday scenario for UTEP athletics. I’m betting CUSA folds leaving UTEP an independent just like the Aggies. I blame Bob Stull and Natalicio for declining invitations to the MWC on two occasions. Utter friggin incompetence by UTEPs leadership combined with not giving a crap about your image and not funding your athletic programs has left UTEP starving and half-naked at the orphanage. Sucks being a Miner fan.
May be a tad ahead of yourself this early. Firstly if you're not group of 5 all other leagues are about the same. AAC is definitely not upgrading taking those teams and losing Cincy. Also at this point you don't even know what CUSA will do or UTEP for that matter in response. Relax, this thing is just starting not even close to over.

May be a tad ahead of yourself this early. Firstly if you're not group of 5 all other leagues are about the same. AAC is definitely not upgrading taking those teams and losing Cincy. Also at this point you don't even know what CUSA will do or UTEP for that matter in response. Relax, this thing is just starting not even close to over.
“About the same” isn’t really accurate. CUSA and SBC have never made an Access/BCS bowl. All the others have. It’s clear the SBC is an overall better league than CUSA. CUSA is horrible and will only get worse.

“About the same” isn’t really accurate. CUSA and SBC have never made an Access/BCS bowl. All the others have. It’s clear the SBC is an overall better league than CUSA. CUSA is horrible and will only get worse.
True, I believe CUSA will make a strong push to align themselves with Sun Belt to make a super league. I still believe Utep will be ok, but if course there is still a chance we get screwed. I will choose to stay positive and the MWC can go f themselves I've said it for years! That's why I love beating up on UNM and I hope we face one of them in a bowl game and Smack em in the mouth!

True, I believe CUSA will make a strong push to align themselves with Sun Belt to make a super league. I still believe Utep will be ok, but if course there is still a chance we get screwed. I will choose to stay positive and the MWC can go f themselves I've said it for years! That's why I love beating up on UNM and I hope we face one of them in a bowl game and Smack em in the mouth!
Not happening. For many years, CUSA laughed at “merger” talks with the SBC. The LaTech AD even has a soundbite you can find that he says “We paid money to be in CUSA and we’re better than that league” or something similar. So the Belt isn’t going to come and “rescue” CUSA. Fantasyland

Reactions: JCorona
There's a reason why CUSA tried to align with AAC instead of SB. It's exactly cuz of what NoWins said. No FBS team other than NMSU and UMass will join. Maybe Liberty. Their fans seem to suggest they would but they don't speak for the administration.

The best we can hope for is not to lose more than two teams to the SB then rebuild with the best available FCS teams that are ready to jump up.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
There's a reason why CUSA tried to align with AAC instead of SB. It's exactly cuz of what NoWins said. No FBS team other than NMSU and UMass will join. Maybe Liberty. Their fans seem to suggest they would but they don't speak for the administration.

The best we can hope for is not to lose more than two teams to the SB then rebuild with the best available FCS teams that are ready to jump up.
Ball is in SBC’s court.

I think something ultimately happens involving the Sun Belt. Whether that means CUSA offering more money and taking some teams or some sort of merger.

Well then I guess fantasy land is being reported as being talked about lol. I didn't just come up with this brotha, it's being discussed already in response to the teams expected to leave. Of course talking doesn't mean anything at this point, buy you can't call something fantasyland when it's being discussed by the Commissioner lol
SBC has the upper hand. It’s like you wanted to start a business with someone and you’re putting in 25k and they’re putting in 5k, but they want to make all the decisions and call it their company. Why would the 25k person want or agree to that? CUSA is trying to contribute 5k. The SBC doesn’t really need them.

I think something ultimately happens involving the Sun Belt. Whether that means CUSA offering more money and taking some teams or some sort of merger.
The only thing that is going to happen is they'll offer the best teams in CUSA a lifeline out of there. Who knows if the CUSA teams take it. USM is as good as gone.

To be fair he's no longer the AD of LT.
Sure, but “rumor” has it that that is or was the feeling of recent SBC to CUSA teams too. No matter what, LaTech has some weird issues with not wanting to be in a league with ULL and ULM. They will probably get their wish!

Just because those six teams are all sending applications to the American doesn't mean that the American wants all six of them.

If you're the American, do you want all six of those teams? There are some better teams from the Sun Belt they can raid.
They’re gone man. FAU’s name wouldn’t be on there is they weren’t getting accepted. I’m sure Georgia St and Coastal Carolina probably had conversations and informally “applied”, but their name isn’t on there because they weren’t chosen.

What he said. They can only try to force UTEPs hand by accepting only Eastern members and hope we go away on our own.
Definitely, thats why I don't think NMSU or any of the WAC schools will be added. If CUSA survives we are going to be on island all by ourselves. With so much uncertainty CUSA is in no position to remove teams. The conference is on life support and desperately needs FBS teams or FCS teams that are ready to jump up. There really isn't that many options out there.

Definitely, thats why I don't think NMSU or any of the WAC schools will be added. If CUSA survives we are going to be on island all by ourselves. With so much uncertainty CUSA is in no position to remove teams. The conference is on life support and desperately needs FBS teams or FCS teams that are ready to jump up. There really isn't that many options out there.
Right, NMSU would probably only be added if it were a crucial move to survive. Like CUSA with other leagues, UTEP has no leverage with the rest of CUSA to demand adds. I posted this before, but will say again, NMSU has baseball, so adding them means, the rest of CUSA is sending their teams out here, when they haven’t had to in the past.

If you are a WAC team or Texas St, why would you want to join? Does anyone really want to be in a league that spans from El Paso to Miami to Norfolk? And keep in mind, it will be for a small amount of tv money and exposure.

With that being said, all UTEP can do is hope football becomes a respectable program and that 0-3 win seasons don’t happen as often and that the basketball program starts winning 20 games again.

Recruiting probably got a lot harder for football too.

So far the interim AD at Marshall and AD at ODU have given statements. When is Senter going to give one? I know a statement is worthless but even the interim AD at Marshall took the initiative to try and calm his fan base

So far the interim AD at Marshall and AD at ODU have given statements. When is Senter going to give one? I know a statement is worthless but even the interim AD at Marshall took the initiative to try and calm his fan base
I see your point. Those schools are working together and have options. Stay and rebuild CUSA or join SB.

We're basically at the mercy of everyone.

UTEP and Senter are in full panic mode. Anything they say to calm us down would be a lie.

I see your point. Those schools are working together and have options. Stay and rebuild CUSA or join SB.

We're basically at the mercy of everyone.

UTEP and Senter are in full panic mode. Anything they say to calm us down would be a lie.
Anyone think we would've been in a better position if we had gotten Lisa Campos? She's killing it at UTSA. I feel she would've been more proactive and less reactive than Senter.

They’re gone man. FAU’s name wouldn’t be on there is they weren’t getting accepted. I’m sure Georgia St and Coastal Carolina probably had conversations and informally “applied”, but their name isn’t on there because they weren’t chosen.
I find it hard to believe they're excited to add Charlotte with their 15,000-capacity field. Nobody cares about Rice (unless they want to add them for academic reasons).

I can understand UNT and UTSA, and UAB would be a good fit. FAU has made major investments in their football program.

But I'd think App St. or Troy would be worth a look before adding Charlotte and Rice. Or from outside the Sun Belt, Liberty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT