ADVERTISEMENT

WOW!!! OT

Great win Miners!! But I missed it. Is there or will there be a replay somewhere on the web? And what about the panel discussion?

Helluva win! Definitely the best basketball they've played the last two games since the SIU and CSU wins. Our starting 5, along with Caldwell, are starting to put some things together. Really like the change of pace on the court, too.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I had them dead in the water with about 7 min to go but man that last 7 min and OT was inteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeense!

Reactions: miner1liner
I had them dead in the water with about 7 min to go but man that last 7 min and OT was inteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeense!
I'm thrilled with the amazing comeback effort. How could anyone dream of being down 19 points, with the way things were going and come back to win this very special meaningful game.
Disappointed that some certain steady critics of Floyd have yet to post. Guess they weren't as thilled as some us were.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I know this team stands no chance against most teams due to their lack of height/rebounding. They're also prone to playing sloppy basketball and taking poor shots. But I will not question their heart and hustle. That alone should make us proud.

Reactions: e-rick
I know this team stands no chance against most teams due to their lack of height/rebounding. They're also prone to playing sloppy basketball and taking poor shots. But I will not question their heart and hustle. That alone should make us proud.

Our Achilles heal is still the lack of a powerful inside post player. If Vint had another body to do the inside banging for him, that would most certainly open things up for him. I give Winn all due credit, but he is a bit small to be the biggest miner on the floor for whole stretches.

I thought we looked undermanned tonight, but our guys grabbed offensive rebounds against much bigger players. Caldwell is the epitome of a player who plays over and above his element; he made some key plays again tonight. Remember, this is the guy who gave up his scholarship so that we could sign another person.

I've been all about "firefloyd" lately, but after being at the last 2 games, I may be wavering once again.
Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think Floyd has all of a sudden figured it out. What I have been paying attention to is the shot selection. I honestly don't have a problem with 80% of the shots we take. The problem is our team is streaky. They ALL miss open looks at the same time frame of the game. To make it worse, they will then make STUPID plays right behind it (passing directly to W. Kentucky after they just scored last night....ugh) then can't guard a pole. These things always put us in a huge hole.

So, do I think Floyd be fired? Should he stay? Hell man, I just don't have a clue...

What I do know is when we press, the other teams sure get out of sync and our running game gets going.

Oh and.....I think this team really likes each other. AND their coach...Just an observation....

I have had the same emotions about Floyd but being 52 I remember the teams of the 80s very well. Our lack of an inside player like Hunter has hurt us big time. I look really close at the body language of the players and they are playing hard for one another. These last two games have really been awesome for the players. At this point I am not ready to be on the fire Floyd bandwagon. I respect those who are but I feel if he had lost the players then it would be different.
I will never forget this great comeback!!!

At the very least I like the fact that this team is showing life and fighting still. That goes for the players and coaches. A lot of us have given up on the season,, but clearly they haven't. Like Floyd said only one team from Cusa is going dancing. Who knows maybe we'll have some more 66' magic!

I'll rain on the parade. This is what the third straight home game that we've found ourselves down 20 late into the second half against mediocre at best teams. I'm glad they pulled it out. I'm no basketball expert, but I don't think being down 20 nearly every game is a great plan for success. It would just be nice if the coaches and players could figure out a way to play the first 35 minutes the way they play the last 5.

This is a good win given the circumstances. Mostly, given the exciting nature of the game, hopefully it wins over a few of the casual fans who came out. But, I still don't think it changes much as to the direction the program on the court is going.

Last edited:
You're post is right on tee and I hope they can win something away. But hope doesn't make it in the long run only smart and well coached teams do.

So UTEP beats 2 teams at home, coming back from huge deficits, that are .500 at best and everyone is saying this should save Floyd's job? Yes, we should be happy the team won, but isn't that what you are supposed to do against these teams at home?
The bottom line is what UTEP does from this point on. If we still can't win on the road, do these 2 wins save his job? Is this what everyone points to at the end of the season.
Maybe the ones that think they want Floyd back now after these HUGE wins, should say to themselves: If these wins were so big, maybe it is a bigger reason for Floyd to be gone since he does have the talent to win, but is still not winning. That would be a straight up coaching problem.
Now if you think they do not have the talent to win, but are such overachievers, then again, Floyd has had over 5 years to recruit, and develop talent and it has not appeared the way everyone has hoped. Again, reason to make a change or else this is the same thing we get over and over again. These are the players Floyd signed (and the ones that didn't come are also his fault), and you have to do the best you can with what you have. Whatever the talent level. Can we really say this team has done the best they could?
Now lastly, maybe this is the spark they needed and we run off a bunch of wins and take the tournament. That would be simply incredible and that is what really would make me excited. Not 2 wins at home against teams that we SHOULD beat.

Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
So UTEP beats 2 teams at home, coming back from huge deficits, that are .500 at best and everyone is saying this should save Floyd's job? Yes, we should be happy the team won, but isn't that what you are supposed to do against these teams at home?
The bottom line is what UTEP does from this point on. If we still can't win on the road, do these 2 wins save his job? Is this what everyone points to at the end of the season.
Maybe the ones that think they want Floyd back now after these HUGE wins, should say to themselves: If these wins were so big, maybe it is a bigger reason for Floyd to be gone since he does have the talent to win, but is still not winning. That would be a straight up coaching problem.
Now if you think they do not have the talent to win, but are such overachievers, then again, Floyd has had over 5 years to recruit, and develop talent and it has not appeared the way everyone has hoped. Again, reason to make a change or else this is the same thing we get over and over again. These are the players Floyd signed (and the ones that didn't come are also his fault), and you have to do the best you can with what you have. Whatever the talent level. Can we really say this team has done the best they could?
Now lastly, maybe this is the spark they needed and we run off a bunch of wins and take the tournament. That would be simply incredible and that is what really would make me excited. Not 2 wins at home against teams that we SHOULD beat.
Yours must be a really gray world. Can't help but wonder if you'd be willing to have your boss use the same rationale when deciding whether or not you should be fired or retained? But that's probably not a "fair" comparison.

"Everyone is saying this should save Floyd's job" - I'm reading the same board, I mostly have been reading joy for the comeback win and appreciation for not giving up and the effort. My position hasn't changed on the success of the season or Floyd's tenure here because of the last two games. I do hope, as others have shared that this team continues with this aggressive style of play.

Yours must be a really gray world. Can't help but wonder if you'd be willing to have your boss use the same rationale when deciding whether or not you should be fired or retained? But that's probably not a "fair" comparison.

I would be happy that a boss would use that rationale. If I don't do my job for weeks, or a crappy one at that, then one week I decide to do my job and do it well, should my boss use that one week when he decides to keep me or give me a raise? Or should he judge me on my body of work?

Reactions: Lucaminer1
I would be happy that a boss would use that rationale. If I don't do my job for weeks, or a crappy one at that, then one week I decide to do my job and do it well, should my boss use that one week when he decides to keep me or give me a raise? Or should he judge me on my body of work?

Your analogy is flawed. How many jobs make wins and losses so brutally clear? What's your job?

Your analogy is flawed. How many jobs make wins and losses so brutally clear? What's your job?

Every single job has metrics that are measurable. Doesn't matter what you do. Sales, planning, manufacturing.....whomever you are evaluated by determines if you have met those measurements or not. Nobody on this board will make that determination. But people are free to have opinions.

Every single job has metrics that are measurable. Doesn't matter what you do. Sales, planning, manufacturing.....whomever you are evaluated by determines if you have met those measurements or not. Nobody on this board will make that determination. But people are free to have opinions.

I spent 25 years in sales -- "you are your number." The difference is there was no limit on the number of pitches I could make, and if I hustled and lost more deals than I won, but still made my number, everyone was happy. In coaching, one team wins and one loses, and the number of games is fixed. I believe it's different than most jobs.

I spent 25 years in sales -- "you are your number." The difference is there was no limit on the number of pitches I could make, and if I hustled and lost more deals than I won, but still made my number, everyone was happy. In coaching, one team wins and one loses, and the number of games is fixed. I believe it's different than most jobs.
Fair enough. But within the profession of coaching they are all measured by the same thing. And they all know exactly how it works.

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
I'm an artist it's my job, my love, my calling......never cared much for these "metrics" of which you speak and pretty much ignored them most of my life.

Even an artist has metrics for and indicating success in their field: commissioned works, gallery showings, notoriety - it's all relative.
Unless you're independently wealthy and you don't want to show or sell your art...then, God bless you.

For a coach at the upper levels of sports - it's all about the W's. That's where the measurement begins and ends.

And Unihorn, what happens if you did not make your number? The company suffers, because you are not being productive enough. Do you really think they would have kept you without SUCCESSFULLY making that number? I am sure many were let go because they could not achieve their number.

And Unihorn, what happens if you did not make your number? The company suffers, because you are not being productive enough. Do you really think they would have kept you without SUCCESSFULLY making that number? I am sure many were let go because they could not achieve their number.

There would obviously be consequences, but that wasn't my point.

Even an artist has metrics for and indicating success in their field: commissioned works, gallery showings, notoriety - it's all relative.

Yes it is all relative, I have had only one of the "metrics" you mention, 1-3 by your measure makes me quite a failure and I never really thought of myself or my work as such. The human spirit and the ability to contribute to anything can't always be quantified or measured like art, or coaching a basketball team. It would be silly to dismiss the Pope because he failed to save the requisite souls this year or missed his quota of papal visits. To me coaching is a little bit like that and win and loses certainly are a factor, going to the NCAA is as well, but in Floyds favor I think his loyalty to UTEP and the miner community is worth something. I think he has worked hard to bring us back to the glory years, but this may take way more than we realize. We all want to hold him to that great past metric that UTEP once had only problem is our situation and college basketball has changed and it is not the same challenge it was for Barbee or Sadler et al. You may want Floyd gone because he hasn't got us to the big dance, that's your metric, others may have a different one and I am just as disappointed with his performance as you are. We all profess the bottom line stuff and that success is only measured in wins and losses, but I don't think the world should work that way, to cold and uncaring for my liking. Art would fail to exist if every artist was guided by and worked only to be commissioned, show in a gallery or become famous.

Yes it is all relative, I have had only one of the "metrics" you mention, 1-3 by your measure makes me quite a failure and I never really thought of myself or my work as such. The human spirit and the ability to contribute to anything can't always be quantified or measured like art, or coaching a basketball team. It would be silly to dismiss the Pope because he failed to save the requisite souls this year or missed his quota of papal visits. To me coaching is a little bit like that and win and loses certainly are a factor, going to the NCAA is as well, but in Floyds favor I think his loyalty to UTEP and the miner community is worth something. I think he has worked hard to bring us back to the glory years, but this may take way more than we realize. We all want to hold him to that great past metric that UTEP once had only problem is our situation and college basketball has changed and it is not the same challenge it was for Barbee or Sadler et al. You may want Floyd gone because he hasn't got us to the big dance, that's your metric, others may have a different one and I am just as disappointed with his performance as you are. We all profess the bottom line stuff and that success is only measured in wins and losses, but I don't think the world should work that way, to cold and uncaring for my liking. Art would fail to exist if every artist was guided by and worked only to be commissioned, show in a gallery or become famous.
I have seen good artist get burnt out trying to meet the quotas set by Gallerys and Agents. I got tired of Ladies coming into my Gallery, many years ago, and state, "oh, I love it, but could you paint it in a mauve pallet to match my livingroom decor!" :confused:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT