ADVERTISEMENT

“Four Corners” schools to the Big 12?

To survive as a conference. We’re one of two established fbs teams in the western part of the country.

A team to help them reach the minimum amount of teams needed to continue as a conference.

The MW wouldn’t have many other options to backfill with.

yup. Same reason why NMSU is in CUSA

Still to this day I have not come across anything from a reliable source that confirms UTEP rejected membership from the MWC. I still believe this was made up bullshit by someone that ended up becoming a fake rumor. If you have any links to disprove this, please post them.
There is no link to prove this as a “fact”. I believe Kaplowitz has said this was the case or had been told so. Kap also said that Senter tried to get into the Sun Belt when they plucked CUSA in 2021. There is also no evidence of that. Doesn’t mean it didn’t occur.

From what I remember, this was during the time Boise and SDSU were going to the Big East, which was in late 2011. In early 2012, the MWC and CUSA were going to merge, but decided not to, and then added their own expansion teams in May. It was during this time that Stull was allegedly approached by the MWC, but “wanted to remain with Texas teams”.

There is no link to prove this as a “fact”. I believe Kaplowitz has said this was the case or had been told so. Kap also said that Senter tried to get into the Sun Belt when they plucked CUSA in 2021. There is also no evidence of that. Doesn’t mean it didn’t occur.

From what I remember, this was during the time Boise and SDSU were going to the Big East, which was in late 2011. In early 2012, the MWC and CUSA were going to merge, but decided not to, and then added their own expansion teams in May. It was during this time that Stull was allegedly approached by the MWC, but “wanted to remain with Texas teams”.
I also recall hearing Granny Nati didn’t want to pay the admission fee.

Reactions: Lil_Train

To add onto this, yeah, I think it was just rumors. However, there were negotiations between the MWC and UTEP in 2016.

No concrete evidence of 2011 or 2016. But there were talks of a merge in 2011 when the MWC was feeling destabilized after potentially losing Boise State and others to the Big East.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT