ADVERTISEMENT

“Over 60 Years”

Now is the time for each school to decide to make the most of and the best of the wide-open opportunities available to them. Phil Steele's college football magazine has CUSA ranked number 11 of 11 conferences in football. Mid-Atlantic is 10. Mountain West at number nine. MWC sure has fallen too. If we joined them, it would be an improvement but not by much. UTEP needs to quit looking for greener pastures somewhere else and make it better where they are. Go Miners. Go CUSA.

Now is the time for each school to decide to make the most of and the best of the wide-open opportunities available to them. Phil Steele's college football magazine has CUSA ranked number 11 of 11 conferences in football. Mid-Atlantic is 10. Mountain West at number nine. MWC sure has fallen too. If we joined them, it would be an improvement but not by much. UTEP needs to quit looking for greener pastures somewhere else and make it better where they are. Go Miners. Go CUSA.
That sux!! I know Alvernia, Delaware Valley, and Misericordia are on the rise, but damn…

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Yep, we are not getting to MWC anytime soon. Just make an effort to dominate! No matter how crappy you conference is if you rule it you will get recognition.

Reactions: 1KiddMiner
Yes and no. You are merely going by rankings. You are not including the TV deal. MWC teams make 4 million a year. They have a 6 year deal through 2026. Their deal is with CBS and Fox.

CUSA tv deal goes 5 years with CBS Sport Network, Stadium and Facebook. It pays only 400 - 500 thousand per team. Which conference would you rather be in?
MWC conference gets 3 to 4 basketball teams into the NCAA tournament every year. Combine the 2 rankings (football and basketball) , and go by straight RPI and NET Rankings you have a much better conference with a much better TV deal.
CUSA going forward with the teams that left and were added especially the loss of Florida Atlantic in basketball, it can only get worse.

Just like Dmanminer says: You have to dominate the conference.

Yes and no. You are merely going by rankings. You are not including the TV deal. MWC teams make 4 million a year. They have a 6 year deal through 2026. Their deal is with CBS and Fox.

CUSA tv deal goes 5 years with CBS Sport Network, Stadium and Facebook. It pays only 400 - 500 thousand per team. Which conference would you rather be in?
That is the old deal. CUSA is no longer with Stadium and Facebook and the per team payout is $800,000

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Ok so $800,00 per team vs 4 million. Which one do you want?
To be fair, if and when utep does finally get into the mwc, they won't be getting 4 mill a year anymore.

However, travel costs decrease significantly by moving to the MWC... and geography would make sense for utep regardless. And it seems the MWC has much better leadership and there's a market for western based conferences. So payout should still be better overall in the mwc in the long run.

It won't happen for awhile, so hopefully utep turns a corner before then.

SDSU just humiliated themselves on the national stage.

Feel as you may about UTEP athletic leadership, UTEP is not going anywhere after that “take me back honey! I love you” gaffe.

Wilson is probably having Liberty brass over for Thanksgiving dinner for the 11/25th game with chicken & dumplings and a “We are home” sign on Mesa Street.

Last edited:

That sux!! I know Alvernia, Delaware Valley, and Misericordia are on the rise, but damn…

I guess this officially puts UTEP in the Bottom 10 (errrr 9) with its Athletic Program. Sad days.

SDSU just humiliated themselves on the national stage.

Feel as you may about UTEP athletic leadership, UTEP is not going anywhere after that “take me back honey! I love you” gaffe.

Wilson is probably having Liberty brass over for Thanksgiving dinner for the 11/25th game with chicken & dumplings and a “We are home” sign on Mesa Street.
SDSU did not humiliate themselves. The Pac 12 bumbling their media deal did. Not getting their media deal done screwed them and SDSU had no other choice than go back to the MWC. They are leaving the conference the question is just when and where.

They chose not to go to the Pac 12 because they wanted to see what the media deal was going to be before they joined. That was the smart move. Why jump into the Pac 12 when the deal may not be much better?

SDSU was in a bad place because if they did not give notice by June 30th, their exit fees jump from 16 million to 34 million. Secondly, SDSU made a large amount of money for the MWC, most which they will never see.

Big difference from where UTEP is and SDSU. SDSU is consistently at the top tier of the MWC in basketball, and football. They have something to offer. UTEP has very little to offer.

The way schools jump around every few years, are we going to recognize any of the conferences 10 or 15 years from now? I just want to see us quit looking for greener pastures elsewhere and improve our own product to the point where someone actually asks us to join them instead of the Miners always going hat in hand to do the asking. I know that would be a miracle but you gotta start somewhere.

I thought the Dallas and San Diego markets were supposed to help the PAC media deal. Maybe they don’t really move the needle with the tv executives.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The way schools jump around every few years, are we going to recognize any of the conferences 10 or 15 years from now? I just want to see us quit looking for greener pastures elsewhere and improve our own product to the point where someone actually asks us to join them instead of the Miners always going hat in hand to do the asking. I know that would be a miracle but you gotta start somewhere.
The extent of looking for greener pastures is open to debate. Kappy stated a year or so back that UTEP invited and turning down the MW is speculative and not verified.

But you make a spot on point.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
With how greedy everyone is, these superconferences stand no chance at long term stability. There will continue to be split offs and movement.

Remember, back in the ancient history days of yore, the WAC was the very first super conference with 16 teams. It lasted what, maybe two years. The most successful football schools broke off to form the MWC. That's when all the shuffling of conference memberships started. That's what led UTEP to join CUSA. Now look where we are. Maybe some of these Power 5 conferences can max out at 16 teams, although at the moment 14 seems to be the upper limit. Of course, media rights deals will influence what conferences do to a great extent. It comes down to schools chasing the money in all this. Around and around and around she goes, where she stops, nobody knows. UTEP will have to hang on for dear life to not to be left in the dust. We shall see.

Reactions: Rocketsr
With how greedy everyone is, these superconferences stand no chance at long term stability. There will continue to be split offs and movement.
Super conferences will be around as long as the money is there. If or when tv money goes away, then these 16 or 20 team leagues will go away. You better believe the SEC would add Florida St and Clemson today if they could and they would happily leave the ACC to join.

They have no reason to split now, because the money is good. When half the league is getting NCAA bids and 7/8ths are getting bowl bids, splitting makes no sense. The WAC split because they didn’t get the extra tournament and bowl bids.

The NCAA is not allowing new conferences to form for exactly what happened with the WAC and MWC. They’re not wanting to give out a bunch of new automatic bids for new conferences.

The Power 5 conferences want to keep the multiple bids and bowls to themselves. A new conference automatic bid would cut into that. That's one reason the Sun Bowl game gets the fourth or fifth ranked teams from the PAC 12 and ACC. That and the fact that the Sun Bowl only pays out the fourth or fifth amount of money. On the surface, CUSA getting multiple bowl bids sounds good. It is as far as it goes. But the money payouts we get for the bowls we appear in are chump change compared to other conferences. Even the Sun Bowl looks like a big payout by comparison. CUSA gets a bowl game in Hawaii, but the payout doesn't even cover travel expenses. The conference has to subsidize the team that plays there. The rich get richer and everyone else gets shafted. Other schools must think that appropriate for the Miners. Ha Ha. I can't think of a solution at the moment.

No. They didn’t put out a press release. Only their internal emails were released by a FOIA request.

If the Pac 12 decides to expand, they’re still number 1 on the list.
So if the boss denies having an affair with the secretary (who is pregnant) but the hotel receipt is hidden in corporate offices, did the affair happen?

What difference does it make?

So if the boss denies having an affair with the secretary (who is pregnant) but the hotel receipt is hidden in corporate offices, did the affair happen?

What difference does it make?
You said they humiliated themselves on a national stage. They’re still in the MWC and they will still get a Pac 12 invite if they expand. They didn’t put anything out. The only people having fun with this are SJSU2Step and FresnoZay. Even then, they are secretly “thrilled” that SDSU is still in the conference and if SDSU wants to leave sooner, those schools will get more money when they do.

The Power 5 conferences want to keep the multiple bids and bowls to themselves. A new conference automatic bid would cut into that. That's one reason the Sun Bowl game gets the fourth or fifth ranked teams from the PAC 12 and ACC. That and the fact that the Sun Bowl only pays out the fourth or fifth amount of money. On the surface, CUSA getting multiple bowl bids sounds good. It is as far as it goes. But the money payouts we get for the bowls we appear in are chump change compared to other conferences. Even the Sun Bowl looks like a big payout by comparison. CUSA gets a bowl game in Hawaii, but the payout doesn't even cover travel expenses. The conference has to subsidize the team that plays there. The rich get richer and everyone else gets shafted. Other schools must think that appropriate for the Miners. Ha Ha. I can't think of a solution at the moment.
Right, no new conferences are forming. It’s still economically viable for West Virginia to fly their teams to Provo and Lubbock.

Until tv money shrinks, things will remain the same.

I thought the Dallas and San Diego markets were supposed to help the PAC media deal. Maybe they don’t really move the needle with the tv executives.
Not only that, it appears the current 10 Pac 12 teams are having trouble getting a good deal themselves. They pretty much have to have something before their media days in a few weeks.

The fact that they would even consider SMU, shows how low they’ve fallen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT