ADVERTISEMENT

30 Second Shot clock...

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
What will UTEP gain or lose because of it?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...-rules-committee-college-basketball-30-second

of Larry Brown saying 30 second shot clock will empower defenses
"Why does he say this? Because he’s smart enough to understand a 30-second cycle would profoundly enhance the strength of the defense. The coaches know this. I spoke with a handful of Division I head coaches and assistants at the adidas Uprising tournament near Indy last month, and unanimously they expressed that a 30-second clock would lead to more “soft” pressure designed to cut shot-clock time, more zone defenses and more unattractive late-clock shots attempted merely to avoid an impending turnover."

30 Seconds is plenty of time. An offensive player will always find a way to the basket.
If our guards can't get their points it will hurt UTEP.

GO Miners...

All the reasons proposed for why a shortened shot clock will help the defense alludes to more of an abstract mental hurdle for the offense rather than an actual disadvantage. The article uses Kentucky's 3 straight shot clock violations as an indicator for its position/stance. Ridiculous! Kentucky could have had the 45 second clock from the days of old (pre mid 90s), and still could have had the same violations. It wasn't a timing issue, they just couldn't get the shots they wanted because the defense was stifling. I think it's a good move for the college game. 30 seconds is plenty of time to set an offense and get a decent shot off. And if I'm wrong and it is an advantage for the D, this bodes well for CTF who's Miner teams rely on playing tenacious defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT