ADVERTISEMENT

Do we have teams or programs at UTEP?

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
Yes, this post may overlap a similar thread about Stull vs Senter, but I digress.

I saw a question posed somewhere, someone asked about another school - Do we have a team or a program?

Yes, the obvious answer is "a program", but think deeper and UTEP really has a football team, a basketball team. We cant rely on a championship from 57 years ago or a Sweet Sixteen from 31 years ago. Does it help telling a recruit, "Hey about 15 years before you were born, we beat Kansas"

In Senter's tenure we have a collection of teams, that play each season, try to win as many games as possible (usually unsuccessfully), and then look to the following season - and the cycle renews. They are individual teams that come and go.

Look at Twitter, people think the football team might go 7-5 or perhaps 5-7 next season - wow "we may go just above .500", show me a tweet where anyone thinks UTEP will compete for the championship. Do you think Men's Basketball will be predicted to go anywhere higher than perhaps 3rd next season (coaches pre-season or any publication or platform) - and in a watered down league.

We don't have programs that consistently build upon itself, that are devoted to winning championships (yes I know that's the goal at UTEP), and bringing positive national attention to the athletics department.

Senter was hired 11/22/2017, so since the 2018-19 season the 4 most visible sports/window to the university are as follows:

Football 17-40 (29.8%) - No Conference Championships, 1 Bowl Appearance (New Mexico)
Men's Basketball 71-80 (47%) - No Conference Championships, No NCAA Appearances, No NIT, 1 Basketball Classic
Women's BB 76-71 (51.7%) - No Conference Championships, 1 WNIT Appearance
Indoor Volleyball 69-64 (51.9%) - No Conference Championships, 1 National Invitational Appearance

So basically, women's sports are just above .500, Football is horrendous, men's basketball is semi-horrendous.
NO CHAMPIONSHIPS, NO PROGRAMS
Went from playing UNT, So Miss, Marshall, to Kennesaw State - yeah thats going to be huge draws, 3-4 UTEP vs 2-5 Kennesaw State on a Wednesday night in October. We will schedule more mercy games at OU, Texas, Tennessee and get decimated and be on ESPN with a score of 51-6 - that will most certainly help recruiting while App State goes out and beats A&M. Again, App State has a nice program.

How many 3 year stretches do we have where we finished top 3 all 3 years? I don’t think it has ever happened in football. I can only think of one in my time as a fan. 2004-2006. I’m sure there’s at least one of those in the 80’s.

How many 3 year stretches do we have where we finished top 3 all 3 years? I don’t think it has ever happened in football. I can only think of one in my time as a fan. 2004-2006. I’m sure there’s at least one of those in the 80’s.
They were more like bottom 3 in 2006.

Devils Advocate for Senter:

This will become a name lacking conference, not watered down. UTEP fans are going to be surprised with the new rivals. There is no watering down IMO on talent coming to CUSA. Kennesaw State basketball hired an Alabama assistant who was an architect of the offense that put them at #1. Liberty will be the big dawg in basketball since NMSU is in total rebuild & retrust due to serious allegations. SHSU will be tops as well.

My point is this, what if football and basketball get into a bowl and NIT? Does Senter get credit? That will be bowl #2 for Dimel and Golding did get 20 wins in year one. Year two for Golding in basketball played out to be not so bad as CUSA did fantastic in post season and proved Golding right as he stated CUSA was a tough league.

Reactions: chicotown

This will become a name lacking conference, not watered down. UTEP fans are going to be surprised with the new rivals. There is no watering down IMO on talent coming to CUSA. Kennesaw State basketball hired an Alabama assistant who was an architect of the offense that put them at #1. Liberty will be the big dawg in basketball since NMSU is in total rebuild & retrust due to serious allegations. SHSU will be tops as well.

My point is this, what if football and basketball get into a bowl and NIT? Does Senter get credit? That will be bowl #2 for Dimel and Golding did get 20 wins in year one. Year two for Golding in basketball played out to be not so bad as CUSA did fantastic in post season and proved Golding right as he stated CUSA was a tough league.
Oh boy. Asking that question around these here parts, I hope you have some thick skin 2step.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I'll happily give credit to Senter if he wins championships. When he was hired, he said that was the goal. So by his own admittance, he is failing. Our athletic department isn't winning and successful.

OffSenter gets credit for hiring a crappy, undeserving coach, who slides into a crappy bowl in his 6th year?

Oh, so Bronzeing was “not so bad” because the conference “excelled” in postseason? Didn’t UTEP finish in 9th out of 11 places? That’s what you consider “not so bad”? You do realize that Bronzeing made almost 3x what a coach that made the Final 4 did? UTEP had better attendance than FAU and UNT, and accomplished what?

Helen of Troy Softball Complex​

The Helen of Troy Softball Complex opened in 2003. At an estimated cost of $1.8 million, the Helen of Troy Softball Complex is the envy of not only schools in Conference USA, but across the country.

The multi-purpose complex is equipped with sizeable locker rooms for the softball and soccer teams, a locker room and offices for coaches of both programs, shower and restroom areas, two lounge/video areas, a conference room, a meeting room, a reception area as well as a storage area.

The softball field measures 200-feet down the left and right field lines and 220' to center. The 607-seat facility includes a VIP seating area, lights, a scoreboard, three batting cages and two bullpens. The Helen of Troy Softball Field is also equipped with 157 chair-backed seats as well as 450 bleacher seats for a total capacity of 607, including a VIP seating area.

It has been open for 20 years with few or any upgrades over the years.
1. Lack of LED lighting
2. No indoor batting cages (It does get cold in the winter and the dust storms)

3. Scoreboard has never been replaced (no video)
4. No shade from the 🌞 when it gets warm.
In other words, lack of resources from the administration and athletic department.

Reactions: kickballpro

Helen of Troy Softball Complex​

The Helen of Troy Softball Complex opened in 2003. At an estimated cost of $1.8 million, the Helen of Troy Softball Complex is the envy of not only schools in Conference USA, but across the country.

The multi-purpose complex is equipped with sizeable locker rooms for the softball and soccer teams, a locker room and offices for coaches of both programs, shower and restroom areas, two lounge/video areas, a conference room, a meeting room, a reception area as well as a storage area.

The softball field measures 200-feet down the left and right field lines and 220' to center. The 607-seat facility includes a VIP seating area, lights, a scoreboard, three batting cages and two bullpens. The Helen of Troy Softball Field is also equipped with 157 chair-backed seats as well as 450 bleacher seats for a total capacity of 607, including a VIP seating area.

It has been open for 20 years with few or any upgrades over the years.
1. Lack of LED lighting
2. No indoor batting cages (It does get cold in the winter and the dust storms)

3. Scoreboard has never been replaced (no video)
4. No shade from the 🌞 when it gets warm.
In other words, lack of resources from the administration and athletic department.
Even with lack of resources from the administration and athletics department, shouldn’t there be a winning season out of 13? It should not be that hard to have 1 season out of 13 with a winning record. Not even a successful season, just 1 game above .500.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT