ADVERTISEMENT

'88 jersey giveaway

Prospero915

Rookie
Nov 16, 2014
Anyone getting to the stadium early just for the jersey?
They're only giving out 1,000 and they'll probably be gone fast.

I was thinking about getting to the gates before 4pm.

Came up empty handed after arriving before 4. This is what we had to deal with.

Yup, I got there around 3. I managed to get one but it was pandemonium and poorly organized. Only one table was giving out the jerseys and when the gates opened the mob rushed the table and the staff was overwhelmed. People were pushing and elbowing. I saw elderly woman and ladies getting squished. Two guys next to me threatened to fight each other. Promotions and giveaways are a good thing, but it needs to be done better

Something like this, they should just have charged $5 bucks... under 13k, is really bad for homecoming... I have been following UTEP since 04, has there ever been a smaller crowd?

I didn’t even bother to try. I thought it was a quality giveaway, but 1,000 of anything is just too few. Plus if you’re not going to organize these things well you can’t expect people to do the right thing and not act like complete psychopaths.

The attendance is God awful. Even in 2003, the third year of Nord’s 2 win seasons the worst they had for a home game was 15k. Now, I remember being at those games as a student and those crowds were non existent. The Tulsa game for example had a listed attendance of 17k and there is no way it was that many. I remember being behind the band over half way up in The Sun Bowl, and i could hear the Tulsa Coaches on the opposite sideline yelling to the QB. And you could hear the guy pretty well. That’s how bad those crowds were.

Reactions: axingfools1
they had more shirts at two other entrances. not sure why they didnt direct people over to diffuse the cluster at the main one. there were no lines at the others. poor organization and a potentially dangerous situation.

Last edited:
Sad. A replica jersey for a team that didn't win a conference title or win a bowl game and there were people fighting over them.

Lowest attendance I ever saw was a snow game against Colorado State. It was the day Barron Wortham broke the tackle record. CSU brought their band, cheer and dance as UTEP lost 52-0. My brother and I stayed for the game which literally had under 200 fans in the stands not counting band and event staff.

Lowest attendance I ever saw was a snow game against Colorado State. It was the day Barron Wortham broke the tackle record. CSU brought their band, cheer and dance as UTEP lost 52-0. My brother and I stayed for the game which literally had under 200 fans in the stands not counting band and event staff.
My cousin and me and two flasks of Jack were there.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
My cousin and me and two flasks of Jack were there.

That's the game I always cited when people claimed to have gone to and stayed for "every game win or lose". I can honestly say there was an equal number of fans to players and personnel on the field

Last edited:
In recent times the 2015 UTEP vs UTSA had a small crowd. The announced attendance said 25k but after the two hour rain/lighting delay there might have been less than 200 people left.

Reactions: Cube Jack
In recent times the 2015 UTEP vs UTSA had a small crowd. The announced attendance said 25k but after the two hour rain/lighting delay there might have been less than 200 people left.

I remember that one well. It was also a homecoming game. I remember having few left at the end of the game because of the was a big loss, but UTSA had its share of fans so there were still people there for awhile.

Yup, I got there around 3. I managed to get one but it was pandemonium and poorly organized. Only one table was giving out the jerseys and when the gates opened the mob rushed the table and the staff was overwhelmed. People were pushing and elbowing. I saw elderly woman and ladies getting squished. Two guys next to me threatened to fight each other. Promotions and giveaways are a good thing, but it needs to be done better
People are idiots in general. Its ten times worse when crowds are funneled. UTEP obviously doesn't realize this.

That didn’t take long - there’s a jersey from last night still in the packaging on E-Bay
It’s going for $30 + shipping. The person selling it must be a real idiot. Can’t even get the year correct.

I was there for a half. Froze my ass off. Had my wife and kids couldn’t keep them out longer than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT