ADVERTISEMENT

Religious affliliated universities question

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
I have a supervisor here in the San Antonio area that is a Notre Dame grad. The day after the Sun Bowl matchup was announced I asked him if he was going to go to the game, and warned him that El Paso's allotment of tickets would sell VERY quickly. The next day he came in to work shocked that tickets sold so fast. I pointed out El Paso's large Catholic population and reminded him that I warned him that tickets would sell quickly.

Growing up in El Paso, and growing up Mormon, I saw this phenomenon on two fronts: Catholics believing that God wanted them to place Notre Dame above all other schools, and Mormons will similar beliefs about BYU. I remember a Mormon missionary from Utah being appalled before a BYU/UTEP game that some members of the Mormon Institute of Religion (on Oregon across from the Baptist Student Ministry) were cheering for the Miners. I also remember thinking that he was an idiot. While my mom was one who cheered for BYU above everyone else, I only cheered for them when they played a P6, or, back when we were both in the WAC, a BYU win over a conference foe would help us in the standings. Now that they're in the Big 12 I just don't care.

The above is just to show that I understand the mentality of Notre Dame and BYU fans, even though I don't follow it. But I have more questions that I don't understand. Like why does Notre Dame get all of the Catholic love? El Pasoans wouldn't have shown this level of interst for DePaul, or Georgetown, or Villanova, or Loyola Marymount, or ... Also, is it only Catholics and Mormons that feel this way? I don't notice Baptists feeling like they must support Baylor, Methodist believing that God wants them to follow SMU, evangelicals don't appear to think that they must cheer for Liberty, or Oral Roberts, or ...

In the end I still don't understand why people feel that they MUST favor a religious affiliated university above all others. I can guarantee that God doesn't really care who wins on the field, court, diamond, links, pitch, etc. If He did, you'd see one or more of these schools dominating college athletics. They don't.

One word - football. Notre Dame is good at it. It also depends on the generation. Before the 2000s, you could always count on ND being on TV. Back then being on TV, was “special”. Now the expectation is that EVERY game has a video feed. So ND was on TV every week and they won.

Like I pointed out in another thread, give Notre Dame, UTEP football results and there wouldn’t be many Notre Dame fans around the country. Their religion wouldn’t matter much.

I think the next generation of fans, will see a downtick in ND fans. Every team is on tv now and they haven’t been a contender most years. Younger fans will gravitate to someone else, like Alabama or Michigan.

Reactions: MinerManiac
One word - football. Notre Dame is good at it. It also depends on the generation. Before the 2000s, you could always count on ND being on TV. Back then being on TV, was “special”. Now the expectation is that EVERY game has a video feed. So ND was on TV every week and they won.

Like I pointed out in another thread, give Notre Dame, UTEP football results and there wouldn’t be many Notre Dame fans around the country. Their religion wouldn’t matter much.

I think the next generation of fans, will see a downtick in ND fans. Every team is on tv now and they haven’t been a contender most years. Younger fans will gravitate to someone else, like Alabama or Michigan.
True that.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I have a supervisor here in the San Antonio area that is a Notre Dame grad. The day after the Sun Bowl matchup was announced I asked him if he was going to go to the game, and warned him that El Paso's allotment of tickets would sell VERY quickly. The next day he came in to work shocked that tickets sold so fast. I pointed out El Paso's large Catholic population and reminded him that I warned him that tickets would sell quickly.

Growing up in El Paso, and growing up Mormon, I saw this phenomenon on two fronts: Catholics believing that God wanted them to place Notre Dame above all other schools, and Mormons will similar beliefs about BYU. I remember a Mormon missionary from Utah being appalled before a BYU/UTEP game that some members of the Mormon Institute of Religion (on Oregon across from the Baptist Student Ministry) were cheering for the Miners. I also remember thinking that he was an idiot. While my mom was one who cheered for BYU above everyone else, I only cheered for them when they played a P6, or, back when we were both in the WAC, a BYU win over a conference foe would help us in the standings. Now that they're in the Big 12 I just don't care.

The above is just to show that I understand the mentality of Notre Dame and BYU fans, even though I don't follow it. But I have more questions that I don't understand. Like why does Notre Dame get all of the Catholic love? El Pasoans wouldn't have shown this level of interst for DePaul, or Georgetown, or Villanova, or Loyola Marymount, or ... Also, is it only Catholics and Mormons that feel this way? I don't notice Baptists feeling like they must support Baylor, Methodist believing that God wants them to follow SMU, evangelicals don't appear to think that they must cheer for Liberty, or Oral Roberts, or ...

In the end I still don't understand why people feel that they MUST favor a religious affiliated university above all others. I can guarantee that God doesn't really care who wins on the field, court, diamond, links, pitch, etc. If He did, you'd see one or more of these schools dominating college athletics. They don't.
Storied program- a lot of history. They have been here twice now- and both have been sell-outs… I don’t know maybe there’s something to be said just about that? Catholics- Fans- Alumni or even those that watched “Rudy”. I am just happy we got to experience a storied program helping El Pasoans enjoy the holiday season and New Year plus a Sellout. Enjoy the little things…🍀

In the end I still don't understand why people feel that they MUST favor a religious affiliated university above all others. I can guarantee that God doesn't really care who wins on the field, court, diamond, links, pitch, etc. If He did, you'd see one or more of these schools dominating college athletics. They don'
I don't understand how people believe in any "god". Forget Norte Dame front-runner fans. Someone have a rational explanation?

I don’t think it’s just Catholics that want to see Notre Dame. Not only are they a storied program with a rich tradition but they were also smart enough to ink a TV deal back ias far back as the early 90s if I remember. If you were a college football fan you can always count on being able to watch ND home games on NBC, and that was crucial to building the fan base.

Notre Dame is an institution, they could play anywhere and it is almost guaranteed to sell out. They played in front of 49k in Ireland this year and 62k in Las Vegas last year vs BYU. The year before that they played at Soldier Field. They are a brand and whether they play good or bad people will come out in droves to see them.

I don’t think it’s just Catholics that want to see Notre Dame. Not only are they a storied program with a rich tradition but they were also smart enough to ink a TV deal back ias far back as the early 90s if I remember. If you were a college football fan you can always count on being able to watch ND home games on NBC, and that was crucial to building the fan base.

Notre Dame is an institution, they could play anywhere and it is almost guaranteed to sell out. They played in front of 49k in Ireland this year and 62k in Las Vegas last year vs BYU. The year before that they played at Soldier Field. They are a brand and whether they play good or bad people will come out in droves to see them.
Just like the Yankees, Dodgers, Lakers.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I don't understand how some people don't believe in any God. Does anybody have a rational explanation?

Trump and evangelicals. There are tons of rational explanations available but one really need see no further than that.

Reactions: develman
No, I just don't understand it. Like I said, I don't care if you explain your opinion or not. I really was just curious.
I assume you believe in a "god". So what rational reason? I don't know if there is one, I do know there is no rational reason to believe in one. If there is then which god should I believe in? The one I was unsuccessfully indoctrinated with? Maybe spin a globe and wherever my finger stops it, and choose the god that they use in that part of the world? Sounds very unreasonable and unscientific.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I assume you believe in a "god". So what rational reason? I don't know if there is one, I do know there is no rational reason to believe in one. If there is then which god should I believe in? The one I was unsuccessfully indoctrinated with? Maybe spin a globe and wherever my finger stops it, and choose the god that they use in that part of the world? Sounds very unreasonable and unscientific.

I never stated either way. I was just looking for your explanation, or from anybody else, because I was curious.

But all see mentioned are Trump and zero explanations for your opinions.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I never stated either way. I was just looking for your explanation, or from anybody else, because I was curious.

But all see mentioned are Trump and zero explanations for your opinions.
I just answered you, you still don't accept it?

I believe, cause their are things that happen with my wife that could not be explained. Long story and if we ever met I would tell you. I’m not one to push it on anyone else, but I am offended when non-believers ridicule those who do. What makes you believe you are right and others are wrong.

I believe, cause their are things that happen with my wife that could not be explained. Long story and if we ever met I would tell you. I’m not one to push it on anyone else, but I am offended when non-believers ridicule those who do. What makes you believe you are right and others are wrong.
Oh no, the poor, overwhelming majority is persecuted. Gimmie a break, I asked for a rational answer, is that ridicule?

Why did the universe spontaneously burst into existence with the Big Bang? What is rational about the entirety of existence coming out of nothing? It seems to violate the first law of thermodynamics, and yet here we are. It seems to me that there is purpose behind it, something that atheism cannot describe.

Which Higher Power should you choose to believe in? Choose whichever faith system accords to the greatest degree with your conscience.

Why did the universe spontaneously burst into existence with the Big Bang? What is rational about the entirety of existence coming out of nothing? It seems to violate the first law of thermodynamics, and yet here we are. It seems to me that there is purpose behind it, something that atheism cannot describe.

Which Higher Power should you choose to believe in? Choose whichever faith system accords to the greatest degree with your conscience.
Science isn't afraid to say “we don't know.” You assert that your god, and its accompanying creation myth is correct. So does every other religion. You can't all be right. But you can all be wrong. Until you can prove YOUR god and YOUR creation myth is true, this is a moot point. Atheism is nothing more than an absence of belief. I don't believe. Show me I am wrong with empirical evidence.

Science isn't afraid to say “we don't know.” You assert that your god, and its accompanying creation myth is correct. So does every other religion. You can't all be right. But you can all be wrong. Until you can prove YOUR god and YOUR creation myth is true, this is a moot point. Atheism is nothing more than an absence of belief. I don't believe. Show me I am wrong with empirical evidence.
I'm not proposing any particular creation myth to you. Gödel's incompleteness theorems demonstrate that there are absolutely true statements that are impossible to prove with the axioms of math. This is mind-boggling to me. This is the realm of the Divine. You puny humans with your science are limited in the truths you can prove; you proved it yourself. There are problems that can never be decided by an algorithm (the Halting Problem). No empirical measurements can be retrieved from within the event horizon of a black hole. The Planck length imposes a lower bound on the smallest things we will ever be able to see. Some mysteries of the universe are forever hidden from us.

You want proof of God. Some things are absolutely true but impossible to prove.

Reactions: EPUTEP
I'm not proposing any particular creation myth to you. Gödel's incompleteness theorems demonstrate that there are absolutely true statements that are impossible to prove with the axioms of math. This is mind-boggling to me. This is the realm of the Divine. You puny humans with your science are limited in the truths you can prove; you proved it yourself. There are problems that can never be decided by an algorithm (the Halting Problem). No empirical measurements can be retrieved from within the event horizon of a black hole. The Planck length imposes a lower bound on the smallest things we will ever be able to see. Some mysteries of the universe are forever hidden from us.

You want proof of God. Some things are absolutely true but impossible to prove.
Spooky nonsensical language, if I can't explain it it must be magic(god).

Did Norte Dame go visit Cathedral High School?? I wonder if they know a school in El Paso is like them??

Did Norte Dame go visit Cathedral High School?? I wonder if they know a school in El Paso is like them??
Notre Dame definitely knows about Cathedral High School 😂🤡

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT