ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Jones

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Anyone know why he wasn't in the game at crunch time and only had eight carries?

Is he in the doghouse from the suspension? He's clearly the best RB on their team

He is not in the doghouse. The head coach is just being stubborn. Everyone knows Aaron jones is the better back of the three. There is a bunch of other RBS in same situation. Phillip Lindsay, Nick Chubb all are talented. But coaches being cute and playing the other guys.

He's been terrible in pass protection. He missed two key blocks last night and had a big drop.
This is correct. AJ missed a read on a blitz early in the game that lead to a sack and was immediately yanked. Williams is much better in pass protection at this point.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I think the coach is trying to keep Jones healthy for later in the season.

He has to do a better job protecting the other Aaron. If not he won’t see much playing time. Without Rogers Green Bay is below average.

I read three articles where it states that yes Aaron Jones is not where he needs to be with his blocking but still grades out higher in that area than the other backs on the packers .... so you can take that argument away

“I think it’s very obvious the balance we’re seeking from our running back position,” McCarthy said. “I think it’s one of the strengths that we’ve had since Aaron’s came back. We have three young men that we believe in and three guys that contribute.

“But there’s more to playing the position than just running the football.”

And there’s the rub.

Aside from their traits as ball carriers, Montgomery is a good route runner and Williams is a strong pass protector. Jones is working to improve those aspects of his game. He caught 71 passes over four years at UTEP, but he rushed it 658 times. As a rookie he caught nine balls in 12 games.

As for pass protection, and all that entails regarding the pre-snap read, post-snap movement and then physically making the block, there’s still room to grow for Jones. He has made several mental errors that are probably weighing on McCarthy's mind when it comes to protecting quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

I read three articles where it states that yes Aaron Jones is not where he needs to be with his blocking but still grades out higher in that area than the other backs on the packers .... so you can take that argument away
Once again, like Dman said, being the best RB on the roster doesn't mean sh*t if you can't pass block. Especially with the Green Bay Packers. Rogers has an injured knee and is one hit away from being out for the season. When Rogers is gone for the season, the Packer's season is over. If you are a liability in pass protection for Rogers, you aren't going to be playing much. Simple as that.
And saying Jones is the best RB on Green Bay isn't saying much. Green Bay has one the weakest backfields in the NFL, and they will be looking to upgrade in the offseason.

Last edited:
You are not reading what I am saying!! The articles said Jones grades out as a better pass blocker than the other running backs on the packers

You are not reading what I am saying!! The articles said Jones grades out as a better pass blocker than the other running backs on the packers

Hes by far the worst of the three. If you dont believe me watch the game from the other night. It was bad.

The difference is, the other 2 guys seem to get a pass for their down falls. Jones, gets benched too quick. That fatass coach sucks... lol I can say fat, because I am too :) but Jones has potential.

The Ringer ranked him as one of the most under-used players in the league. He is leaps and bounds better than the other guys at running the ball. A good way to protect Rodgers is to keep him from third and long.

The common sense thing seems to be to make Jones the feature back, Montgomery the 3rd down back for catching and pass protection, and Williams as insurance and occasional punishment tool (play Williams a quarter if Jones screws up). Eventually, I think, Jones or Williams has to go. I think most people would pick Jones, I would. Jones can learn what Williams does better, Williams can never be a beast like Jones.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/17/17987530/misused-underused-players

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT