ADVERTISEMENT

Elijah Jones

We could actually use him, thought he was one of the better players we had … and considering he is a freshman — we will now probably lose him this offseason and he will go do great things somewhere else ——-

He’s not eligible for a redshirt still was he ?

• Sad
Reactions: MINER.JAY
What a waste. Golding still thinks he's 'building' the program.

Hebb is playing so I doubt UTEP thinks that the NCAA threats about losing eligibility have any merit. Jones will likely be gone next year and be successful elsewhere.

• Sad
Reactions: MINER.JAY

Hebb is playing so I doubt UTEP thinks that the NCAA threats about losing eligibility have any merit. Jones will likely be gone next year and be successful elsewhere.
It must be something off the court or a disagreement with his role, because we all know he's talented. Has someone in the media just asked Golding about him?

It must be something off the court or a disagreement with his role, because we all know he's talented. Has someone in the media just asked Golding about him?
That’s what I’m thinking too.

I could understand if he wasn't playing at all or if Golding just said something like he's paying the piper and they are working on it, but nothing. Let's hope it is something relevant and they get it straightened out, otherwise Golding is just shooting himself in the foot. This team us not NCAA caliber. Let the kid play.

Golding has been starting 3 seniors and 2 juniors. What is our ceiling? I think we've already hit the ceiling of this team.

I could understand if he wasn't playing at all or if Golding just said something like he's paying the piper and they are working on it, but nothing. Let's hope it is something relevant and they get it straightened out, otherwise Golding is just shooting himself in the foot. This team us not NCAA caliber. Let the kid play.
I have to imagine that Golding’s decision to not play Jones is rooted in principle. Even CJG himself has to realize that he doesn’t have the luxury of dragging out a teaching “moment” to the detriment of the team as a whole. Which is why I believe its gotta be something fairly big…which is probably why we haven’t heard anything about it. Obviously just guessing tho.

I have to imagine that Golding’s decision to not play Jones is rooted in principle. Even CJG himself has to realize that he doesn’t have the luxury of dragging out a teaching “moment” to the detriment of the team as a whole. Which is why I believe its gotta be something fairly big…which is probably why we haven’t heard anything about it. Obviously just guessing tho.
Starting to get the 'Manny Cass' feel to it.

This also happened a few years later with Barbee too. I can't remember the kids name but he was a high flying 3 point shooter out of AZ. Didn't get to start to left the team.

Edit: Marcus Ruppel

Golding has been starting 3 seniors and 2 juniors. What is our ceiling? I think we've already hit the ceiling of this team.
Yep it may be time to go with next year's guys and Hardy. Let them play it out with the seniors coming in to form a 2nd unit.

Go with Terrell, Camper, Hebb, Cole, Frazier, Jones and Kalu. Keep Hardy on the 1st team. Let Powell and Solomon come off the bench for a while.

Reactions: MinerManiac

Hebb has 4 points in 16 minutes/2 games.

Last edited:
Yep it may be time to go with next year's guys and Hardy. Let them play it out with the seniors coming in to form a 2nd unit.

Go with Terrell, Camper, Hebb, Cole, Frazier, Jones and Kalu. Keep Hardy on the 1st team. Let Powell and Solomon come off the bench for a while.
Lol 😂, really it's not even conference play yet haha

The wussy ass El Paso media allows UTEP to control them. There's no way that they're asking Golding why his high scoring freshman isn't playing even though the team struggles to score, despite the fact it is an obvious question. They'll just ask softball questions and continue to regurgitate UTEP press releases.

Jones will have nobody in front of him next year (so far) so his decision to stay or leave will tell us a lot.

Jones played the 8th most minutes on the season.

Per 40 minutes he was the #1 shot blocker, 2nd leading scorer and 3rd best rebounder. He was very efficient at scoring, 3pt % and free throw shooting. He displayed 3 level scoring and had some very nice strong finishes early in the season. He has good size and athleticism for CUSA.

He should have at least split minutes with Soloman if not take most of DA's minutes. Despite this he has seemingly kept a positive attitude and has been very supportive of his teammates.

We can only guess as to why Golden shut Jones down. Aside from the unknown, he deserved more minutes and should be a big part of the team next year.

Jones played the 8th most minutes on the season.

Per 40 minutes he was the #1 shot blocker, 2nd leading scorer and 3rd best rebounder. He was very efficient at scoring, 3pt % and free throw shooting. He displayed 3 level scoring and had some very nice strong finishes early in the season. He has good size and athleticism for CUSA.

He should have at least split minutes with Soloman if not take most of DA's minutes. Despite this he has seemingly kept a positive attitude and has been very supportive of his teammates.

We can only guess as to why Golden shut Jones down. Aside from the unknown, he deserved more minutes and should be a big part of the team next year.
According to Miner Talk, the coaching staff wants Jones to get bigger, stronger and just better overall. That's apparently why he wasn't getting playing time.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Golding acted as if Jones killed his puppy 🐶 Jones 100% could've helped this year in conference and the tournament. I was very disappointed in C. Solomon's lack of improvement this year.
BS. Jones contributed out of the gate, game 1.

Coach Golding, don’t go Dimel on us. You never go full Dimel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT