ADVERTISEMENT

About officials

alvinosports

All Star
May 21, 2012
Is there a way UTEP can filed a formal complain against these referees so at least they are out for the rest of the season ?

The problem with filing a complaint is, and I'm sorry to say, Thomas DID foul Talley and the clock DID start about a half second late. And also, DA DID miss 2 free throws that would have won the game. Yes, the officials DO run the shot clock, but the fact that they didn't start it on time doesn't mean ODU deserves to lose. They hit their foul shots when they needed TO.

The problem with filing a complaint is, and I'm sorry to say, Thomas DID foul Talley and the clock DID start about a half second late. And also, DA DID miss 2 free throws that would have won the game. Yes, the officials DO run the shot clock, but the fact that they didn't start it on time doesn't mean ODU deserves to lose. They hit their foul shots when they needed TO.

The clock is rarely perfectly started and stopped, and last-second non-blatant fouls are often not called in tight games. These calls altered the outcome of the game and both went against UTEP.

The players couldn't have known the clock was off. If they had, they would have shot faster.

We got fvcked.

The clock is rarely perfectly started and stopped, and last-second non-blatant fouls are often not called in tight games. These calls altered the outcome of the game and both went against UTEP.

The players couldn't have known the clock was off. If they had, they would have shot faster.

We got fvcked.

Agree with this. I see what jdubb is saying, but this has been my point all along regarding the Thomas foul. At that point in the game with a few seconds remaining, you let the players win the games, you don't bail them out with soft fouls. Unihorn is correct, this was not a blatant foul. I will say that Coach Johnson mentioned that the ODU players would kick out their legs to draw fouls and that is what appears happened in this situation. If that was the case, smart play by ODU to draw the foul and put the onus on the officials.

Then they should done a redo or stop the play. Why did they let the play go on?
Correct, once the officials realized they didn't start the clock on time, they should have reset the clock to the 2.5 or 2.7 seconds and started that over. This way neither team is penalized. However don't know what the rules are for this type of situation. The way the game ended I felt UTEP was penalized due to the officials fault, but I would have felt the same for ODU had they allowed Wilmms basket. So have a do over.

Its over now, it sucks... and seems like CUSA has no backbone... MWC needs to realize they need Texas... and take UTEP/Rice... Hopefully not UTSA/Rice... Oh God that would be a dagger!

Reactions: mikesarabia
If the clock was the officials fault with more reason UTEP should file a Formal Complaint vs these officials. At least suspend them for the rest of the season.

Guys get over it. The officials ruled correctly according to the rules. They have flexibility to adjust obvious timing problems.
They did the right thing.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Correct, once the officials realized they didn't start the clock on time, they should have reset the clock to the 2.5 or 2.7 seconds and started that over. This way neither team is penalized. However don't know what the rules are for this type of situation. The way the game ended I felt UTEP was penalized due to the officials fault, but I would have felt the same for ODU had they allowed Wilmms basket. So have a do over.

Your solution would penalize ODU. Why should they have to defend UTEP a second time once Omega missed the shot? That's like the Russians and US in the Olympics. Do over.

What the referees did to fix the error was the correct way and has been handled that way many times.

See Boise State/Colorado State last year:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ame-winner-waved-off-after-hand-timed-review/

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerDave
Guys get over it. The officials ruled correctly according to the rules. They have flexibility to adjust obvious timing problems.
They did the right thing.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cube Jack
Soo no matter when utep scored the basket it wouldnt of counted is what they are saying. Do a do over. They screwed up.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Your solution would penalize ODU. Why should they have to defend UTEP a second time once Omega missed the shot? That's like the Russians and US in the Olympics. Do over.

What the referees did to fix the error was the correct way and has been handled that way many times.

See Boise State/Colorado State last year:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ame-winner-waved-off-after-hand-timed-review/
Rather they be penalized that way versus allowing Wilms tip in to count and lose the game. The way it ended UTEP did get penalized due to the officials fault. So in the end one team (UTEP) did get penalized.

In the end it's over and can't change anything so let's move on.

Rather they be penalized that way versus allowing Wilms tip in to count and lose the game. The way it ended UTEP did get penalized due to the officials fault. So in the end one team (UTEP) did get penalized.

In the end it's over and can't change anything so let's move on.

Instant replay was put in place in sports to either confirm an official's call or correct a mistake made by an official. I'm not a fan of it but that is what it is.

When a football official calls a touchdown on the last play of a game it can be reviewed. If it turns out that it wasn't a catch but an incomplete pass, the referee's call (mistake) is overturned. The team doesn't get another play....the game is over.

In this case the referee's mistake of not starting the clock on time was overturned. It was a mistake that instant replay is used to correct. You don't get another play.

Neither team is penalized if the call is corrected. Wilms did not get the shot off in time.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
The reason why I think they should do a do over in those occasions is because not starting the clock altered Omega's shot selection. He received the inbound pass looked up at the clock and saw it had time so he took a dribble then made the shot. Had the time started on time he most likely sees less than a second and takes the shot immediately after catching the pass. Maybe even draws a foul by shooting into the defenders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT