ADVERTISEMENT

Any Chance against NTU?

NT reminds me of the old Haskins miners, solid, solid D and play smart and 100%. Well coached and tough, bit short on talent inside. We matched their toughness tonight and you can't hold Boum down for long, man that guy is just a pure and simple scorer and finds a way into a game.

Reactions: utep2step
We lost the first time to them 58-66 even though we shot 54% from the field, 40% from 3. The difference was in turnovers, 19 us vs 9 them and in free throws. They shot 17-27 from FT, we were 6-6. I mean, we even out-rebounded them 26-21, surprisingly.

Anyway, I think the home crowd boosts us and we get the W in another close game.
Good call.

I turned off the game right after it was over and didn't stream the KROD's post game show, so I have no idea what this is referencing. What did Onyema do?
Late game emotion got me more than anything. I was upset Onyema fell asleep on a long, nearly full court pass from out of bounds by UNT to Ousmane. There were really several questionable plays from our guys down the stretch in terms of execution, but in the end, we got the big win. I honestly thought it wasn't our best game, but a team like UNT has alot to do with that. Hope these guys make a run next week.

I'm not sure what concert was in town last night but the DHC looked packed. Wish it looks like that today for the basketball game. I'm not expecting it to hit 7k.

I hope a chance to beat the conference champions is enough motivation for the team to come out and break UNT's 16 game winning streak.
Jo Koy yesterday. Monster Trucks today and tomorrow

Also the players asked for the fans to go down there. The fans didn’t just rush the court as soon as it ended.
Yes. It wasn't fans rushing the court. First Coach Golding yelled to the student section then Tydus came over and waved them onto the court. This was done to celebrate senior night, not for the win itself. This was after the post-game handshake. UNT was already headed off the court.

I've haven't seen a fan base with an inferiority complex this bad in years. UNT fans really got all offended online after losing.

Why are there so few fans in the stands? This is one of the best team in years. They are headed for 20 wins, and the place looks half full at best. Is this typical? It has been years since I have been to a home game, but growing up, I never remember it looking like that.

Why are there so few fans in the stands? This is one of the best team in years. They are headed for 20 wins, and the place looks half full at best. Is this typical? It has been years since I have been to a home game, but growing up, I never remember it looking like that.
Because ticket prices, etc etc that’s been hashed over various threads. It’s sad to see but yeah, who really knows why there’s this dive in UTEP basketball.

Had to miss today’s game. Wife’s birthday. Hard call. Not really. I was all hers except for the occasional score check online.

Asked jcorona whether we played good, UNT played bad, both? Something else? Like to hear multiple perspectives. Anybody care to share how you saw it go down?

Had to miss today’s game. Wife’s birthday. Hard call. Not really. I was all hers except for the occasional score check online.

Asked jcorona whether we played good, UNT played bad, both? Something else? Like to hear multiple perspectives. Anybody care to share how you saw it go down?
I thought it was a little bit of both. UTEP started out great jumping out to that 17-2 lead, due to good defense and KK hitting a bunch of shots. His length and athleticism on defense has been sorely missed, and it gave UNT problems on the perimeter. UNT also started out flat, missing a bunch of makeable shots. Bell was 0-6 from the free throw line early. UNT started cutting into the lead, but UTEP responded by hitting some big shots, including the Bieniemy 3 to end the first half; that shot was huge.

Starting the second half, UTEP started out poorly as has been an issue all year. Lots of bad turnovers, poor defensive rebounding, and just a lack of poise. UNT started making a run, but was hurt by their big man being in foul trouble. Bell was an absolute problem again, and we struggled to defend him with a variety of defenders including TV. Down the stretch, Boum was huge, making several tough shots to keep UNT at arms length. Again, we were not great down the stretch and made the game harder than needed. TV and Kennedy did step up, and made several big freethrows down the stretch. Overall, a solid, gritty win over a well coached squad.

I felt that overall UTEP played very well. North Texas didn’t shoot well to start, but after the Miners hot start, UNT‘s defense kicked in. Bienemy’s three at the halftime buzzer was huge! At the start of the second half, UNT made their move and cut into our lead. Once they got close, the Miners fended them off. From there, it became a game of mental toughness. In my opinion, the game was won at the free throw line. They missed a lot, mostly in the first half though, and UTEP finally had Boum drive continuously which lead to free throws from our best free throw shooter. Those free throws kept UNT at bay. The Miners earned this win and I loved that the fans semi-stormed the court.

Out of curiosity, what other games have you missed? And were they wins?
Ha! I know I missed pacific(w), UC Riverside(L) Bradley(L), UNT(w), and I know I missed another game somewhere in there. Can’t remember which, but I think I missed another one somewhere in there.

Trust me, I was wondering the same thing last night.

I think I just need to say I think they’re gonna lose again. That reverse psych thing.

As some of you pointed out, it’s funny to read comments from some UNT fans that said UTEP fans “stormed the court” because we beat some “power house” team. First off, UTEP basketball has a great history and solid tradition. Growing up in El Paso I witnessed some great Miner teams coached by Haskins, Gillespie and Barbie. I got to see Miner teams beat several highly ranked opponents like Indiana, Georgetown, Utah, BYU, Texas, Arizona and Kansas just to name a few. I never saw Miner fans “storm the court” after those impressive victories. Miner fans were respectful and were used to these types of upsets. UNT is a good team, but can’t compare with the other teams mentioned. This win was special for our players and coaches because they have endured so much this season with injuries, transfers and Covid related illnesses. Coach Golding and staff deserve a lot of credit for implementing a new system and new culture. Golding has done an amazing job his first year. Our players and fans have bought into this culture and see this as the beginning of great things to come.

I have to say I've never seen such a whining and offended fanbase as UNT after this game. One fan keeps trolling UTEP Twitter pages complaining about refs. One is apparently the mother of a player and shot video of the fans on the court. The way they whine it makes you wonder if they want a third column in the standings for "L but just barely and played badly so it doesn't count as much"

I hate the term "Karen" but it really seems to apply here.

Reactions: Rot and mikesarabia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT