ADVERTISEMENT

Ark Pine Bluff

Very sub par performance. We’ve looked like dog shit the last two games. I’ll take any win, but damn if we don’t look like a JV high school team right now.

I’m not a betting man but I have a friend who put money on UTEP @-26. Right before the start I told him UTEP plays down to their competition and to not take it. He thought Vegas knew what they were talking about...
Sorry sucka!!!

Very sub par performance. We’ve looked like dog shit the last two games. I’ll take any win, but damn if we don’t look like a JV high school team right now.

I’m not a betting man but I have a friend who put money on UTEP @-26. Right before the start I told him UTEP plays down to their competition and to not take it. He thought Vegas knew what they were talking about...
Sorry sucka!!!

How much did he bet? I saw it at -21. I would have bet the farm at +26. If you bet the under for all the UTEP games you would be up big.

I have to assume that Terry selects his playing time based solely on practices, because if it's based at all on what's happening in the games, we are certainly seeing different things. Hawkins did some good things and some bad tonight, but, in my opinion, brought some energy and an attempt at playmaking that we don't see from all of our guards. If not for a bogus offensive foul call on what should have been a bucket for him and a couple of missed free throws, Odigie could have scored 11 points in just 8 minutes in the first half, but didn't see the court in the second half. I like the way that Verhoeven always plays within his abilities, but Odigie would have been much more productive for us. And the last couple of times that Tarke and Stroud got minutes they provided a lot of energy and some solid production, but they seem to be shut out from playing time right now. Finally, I had hoped coming in that Archie would play big minutes tonight, but that was when I expected the Miners to handle this team easily. We didn't. It was still anyone's game late in the second half, and Hawkins should have been in there instead of Archie. Again, playing time must be solely based on practices, which we don't see, because Terry's rotation makes no sense to me otherwise.

A couple of other notes:

On the post game Terry said he has to urge his players to shoot, not pass when they're open. He even said, " Souly" specifically. I hadn't noticed any timidity in his part to shoot it.
?????????????????????????????????????????

Souly? Seriously? If anything, my impression has been that Souly is too willing to shoot it. William's leads the team in shot attempts with 71. Boum is second with 65. Yet Bryson is shooting .704, Boum .308. I keep hoping that Boum stops shooting so much, and tries to get his teammates involved.

Lathon's offensive game is currently broken. I hope that Terry encourages him to be aggressive offensively against NCA&T. He is better than what we've seen the last three or so games.

I have to assume that Terry selects his playing time based solely on practices, because if it's based at all on what's happening in the games, we are certainly seeing different things. Hawkins did some good things and some bad tonight, but, in my opinion, brought some energy and an attempt at playmaking that we don't see from all of our guards. If not for a bogus offensive foul call on what should have been a bucket for him and a couple of missed free throws, Odigie could have scored 11 points in just 8 minutes in the first half, but didn't see the court in the second half. I like the way that Verhoeven always plays within his abilities, but Odigie would have been much more productive for us. And the last couple of times that Tarke and Stroud got minutes they provided a lot of energy and some solid production, but they seem to be shut out from playing time right now. Finally, I had hoped coming in that Archie would play big minutes tonight, but that was when I expected the Miners to handle this team easily. We didn't. It was still anyone's game late in the second half, and Hawkins should have been in there instead of Archie. Again, playing time must be solely based on practices, which we don't see, because Terry's rotation makes no sense to me otherwise.

A couple of other notes:

Souly? Seriously? If anything, my impression has been that Souly is too willing to shoot it. William's leads the team in shot attempts with 71. Boum is second with 65. Yet Bryson is shooting .704, Boum .308. I keep hoping that Boum stops shooting so much, and tries to get his teammates involved.

Lathon's offensive game is currently broken. I hope that Terry encourages him to be aggressive offensively against NCA&T. He is better than what we've seen the last three or so games.

I’ll be the first to admit that my hopes were higher than they’ve been in quite some time. It’s not panic or over reaction when I say, I may have been dead ass wrong to have let my expectations of them elevate to the higher side of mediocrity. As a team, we suck offensively.

Last edited:
I would have put 500 or more on +26. That was easy money.

Did you? I told him I thought we’d win by 18...at the most. Even I was way the **** off. Not that I’m some gambling guru, but I think I have a feel for Miner bb. I guess not, though.

Last edited:
Did you? I told him I thought we’d win by 18...at the most. Even I was way the **** off.

Nope, unfortunately not. I saw it at -21, but that was a few days ago. Completely forgot to look again.

UTEP beat them 110-60 in 2000. Don't think we will get to 80 points this season.

I liked Verhoeven starting over Vila. I thought it would be Efe, but Tydus is probably our 2nd best interior defender and it took a lot of pressure off Williams. Unfortunately Tydus is not a strong finisher and is a brick house at the line. If he starts finishing well then we could see a lot of him at the 5

Vila just needs to be backing up Williams. He is NOT a center.

Today was an awesome chance for Boum to break out. He hit a few long shots, but he needed to either drive to the basket and score/get fouled/facilitate or use his midrange aggressively. He really did neither.

I think Boum is playing so much because we have had no true SF step up. Terry and the team really expect Archie to play well and Stroud to keep learning. If Archie progresses, expect Boum to lose time or come off the bench.

IMO Hawkins needs more and more time. CRT has him backing up Lathon, but why not try him as the 3rd guard also? He making a lot of nice defensive plays. That block today was amazing.

According to the post-game, Terry is upset at how tentative Edwards and Boum have been at shooting. Not at actually taking shots, but taking them when the are open instead of hesitating. Somebody behind the bench apparently yelled "Let them shoot" and Terry replied that he agrees. Boum must be making a lot of shots in practice.

In regards to Tarke, I think his time has gone. Despite his prop 48 year, Stroud is like a true freshman and has a lot to learn. He is the future. Tarke is a junior and the 11th man on the bench when most all of us had him pencilled in as a starter. Barring any injuries, we won't see much of either this year.

Nope, unfortunately not. I saw it at -21, but that was a few days ago. Completely forgot to look again.

UTEP beat them 110-60 in 2000. Don't think we will get to 80 points this season.

We’ll get there. We just won’t know when it’ll be. Perhaps some game that we win by 30 points where everyone is “on”. We have dudes who can score. Do we have guys who can score on the same night? And consistently?

Apparently Boum went for 26 against GCU. Lathon went for 26 against Marquette. Williams went for 27 against NMSU. We have the fire power. At least once it’ll all come together, I think. That’s when we score 80+, but I get where you’re coming from.

Correction we're #82. Also Kent st dropped too, so never mind. NMSU losing to Washington st. also hurt us. However we have Houston and the Hawaii tournament to help us go up or down if we don't play better than last 2 games.

Hawkins. I'm thinking maybe he got his nose broken when he had to leave the game and never came back. Tiech never said anything, so I'm just guessing that's why we never saw him again He was definitely one of the few positive contributors.
Anyone out there in Minerland have the means to ask Terryt direct question, "Please explain why you refuse to play Tarke and Stroud? You can't be happy with the status quo".
Terry needs to figure out how to get Boum the the free throw line more often. The best way is repeated dribble/drives; not 25 footers. Right now it's 21for 21

And UTEP’s only Saturday non-conference game had an attendance of 4,928. Another great job by UTEP Promotions!

Hawkins. I'm thinking maybe he got his nose broken when he had to leave the game and never came back. Tiech never said anything, so I'm just guessing that's why we never saw him again He was definitely one of the few positive contributors.
Anyone out there in Minerland have the means to ask Terryt direct question, "Please explain why you refuse to play Tarke and Stroud? You can't be happy with the status quo".
Terry needs to figure out how to get Boum the the free throw line more often. The best way is repeated dribble/drives; not 25 footers. Right now it's 21for 21
Terry has gone on the record saying that under normal circumstances Efe would have redshirted last year. Last night he basically said the same thing about Hawkins. Terry thinks he is playing the best guys and feels that the shots will start falling. Edwards just needs to get his groove back. Unfortunately Boum is starting to fall into the category of Touchet and Ragland. CRT showed last night that he was willing to bench Vila and give Tydus a good run. He is seeing the same things we are in the games. Eventually Boum will have to put up or sit down. If Archie picks up the pace he will replace Boum, guaranteed. Terry is still looking for his starting center and SF.

I don't think Stroud will not see much playing time this year. We will see him more next year as his game progresses. We will see Kennedy as well. I expect Onyema and McGriff to redshirt and Tarke to probably be gone.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Terry has gone on the record saying that under normal circumstances Efe would have redshirted last year. Last night he basically said the same thing about Hawkins. Terry thinks he is playing the best guys and feels that the shots will start falling. Edwards just needs to get his groove back. Unfortunately Boum is starting to fall into the category of Touchet and Ragland. CRT showed last night that he was willing to bench Vila and give Tydus a good run. He is seeing the same things we are in the games. Eventually Boum will have to put up or sit down. If Archie picks up the pace he will replace Boum, guaranteed. Terry is still looking for his starting center and SF.

I don't think Stroud will not see much playing time this year. We will see him more next year as his game progresses. We will see Kennedy as well. I expect Onyema and McGriff to redshirt and Tarke to probably be gone.
I think Terry was sending a message to Vila for his performance against NMSU. When Terry mentioned that the team lacked toughness, that started with Vila's defensive effort against the Aggies. The challenge for Terry is that I don't see Verhoeven as much of an upgrade over Vila defensively. Plus he is even less effective on the offensive side, and that is really saying something. Defensively, Odigie is super limited due to his lack of athleticism. At SF, Archie has been pretty shaky on both ends of the court, although he has shown some potential. He has been pretty careless with the ball, and is not nearly as refined as I anticipated. Also, it is tough not mention the number of bricks Lathon has put up this year. He seems to regressed as a shooter, which is disappointing. Overall, tons of work to be done.

Last edited:

Thanks for the report axing. Let me say that I disagree with Terry's evaluations. I think the comparison of Boum to Touchet and Ragland is an apt one. I know that Touchet could shoot, I personally say him make 15 out of 15 and 13 out of 15 in a three point shooting contest, and I heard Teich tell me for years that Ragland never missed in practice. How well a guy shoots in practice however doesn't mean squat if he can't hit those same shots in a game, and so far Boum is laying bricks, much like Ragland and Touchet did in their careers. Like I said in a previous thread Boum still needs minutes, but not as much as he has been playing.

I'm trying to figure out Terry's issue with Hawkins. My eyes tell me that he is one of the five best players on the team currently. He certainly is miles ahead of Archie and Boum in my opinion at this point, and has been playing better than Lathon has these past three games. Terry's eyes appear to be watching different games than mine when it comes to Nigel.

Finally, even if he does believe that he is starting his five best guys, that doesn't mean that he shouldn't use his bench. He's playing Edwards and Boum 36 plus minutes in big games, and been playing Vila similar minutes until the last game. Lathon's minutes are close behind. Like I've said before, I don't believe that this is sustainable over the course of a season. While the bench may not be as talented as we all once thought, I believe that they are better than Terry gives them credit for

Thanks for the report axing. Let me say that I disagree with Terry's evaluations. I think the comparison of Boum to Touchet and Ragland is an apt one. I know that Touchet could shoot, I personally say him make 15 out of 15 and 13 out of 15 in a three point shooting contest, and I heard Teich tell me for years that Ragland never missed in practice. How well a guy shoots in practice however doesn't mean squat if he can't hit those same shots in a game, and so far Boum is laying bricks, much like Ragland and Touchet did in their careers. Like I said in a previous thread Boum still needs minutes, but not as much as he has been playing.

I'm trying to figure out Terry's issue with Hawkins. My eyes tell me that he is one of the five best players on the team currently. He certainly is miles ahead of Archie and Boum in my opinion at this point, and has been playing better than Lathon has these past three games. Terry's eyes appear to be watching different games than mine when it comes to Nigel.

Finally, even if he does believe that he is starting his five best guys, that doesn't mean that he shouldn't use his bench. He's playing Edwards and Boum 36 plus minutes in big games, and been playing Vila similar minutes until the last game. Lathon's minutes are close behind. Like I've said before, I don't believe that this is sustainable over the course of a season. While the bench may not be as talented as we all once thought, I believe that they are better than Terry gives them credit for
Exactly Maniac. Like I said before; too bad we can't sit down with Terry and ask some questions, so I guess we'll just have to keep speculating.

Agree with everything said here. Also hope Tarke gets a few more chances to show what he’s got before letting him sit the season so early on.

Like I said before, I never understood all the hype with Archie. He didn’t do anything with TCU and you expected him to be awesome at Utep? Don’t understand. MAybe he needs more time. With all the negative comments, I believe the miners will be alright. The key is making sure they play good defense. Someone will get hot and help out Williams. The miners just need to keep up the defense intensity and Williams need to stay healthy all year

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT