ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Peay Players/Transfer Portal

Im not sure how many of those we have. Don’t really have the interest to look it up. I’m only referring to the “big time” transfer natty is talking about.
Gotcha.

Based on what I have seen thus far, the coaching staff is doing a good job recruiting. They still have some more recruiting to do.

Reactions: JCorona
I love UTEP, but I don’t know if you walk away from Miss St or Auburn. Do you play at UTEP, or do you experience SEC Football and maybe ride the pine?
This will sound counter intuitive. But it will be better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond. That is if you have borderline NFL talent. You can get lost with the other talent at Miss. St. or Auburn. You are more likely to put up video game numbers at UTEP assuming you have the quarterback to get you the ball if you are a wide out or have the offensive line to open holes for you if you are a running back. Of course, this doesn't take into consideration NIL money. If you don't have NFL talent then if makes sense to go to a P5 school if they offer.

RedRob has a great point and its a generally known tactic when recruiting (a great friend of mine was a P5 and G5 recruiting coordinator). When he was at G5 it was about showcasing your talent for the NFL and playing every down vs always fighting for a spot in P5 and not playing every. snap every season.

Although this is where the portal stinks -- have a extraordinary year or breakout season and you jump in the portal to play somewhere else.

So do we want Diego?? He isn't really getting any impressive offers. I thought he would be getting power 5 offers.

I believe in the one on one interview I saw of Pavia, it was stated that he’s closer to 5’10”. Now Manziel’s 6’0” could be exaggerated as well, but IMO, Pavia and Manziel can’t even be compared in performance. No way would Pavia single handily handle the Alabama defense like Manziel did. If a P5 takes him, I’ll be surprised.

I believe in the one on one interview I saw of Pavia, it was stated that he’s closer to 5’10”. Now Manziel’s 6’0” could be exaggerated as well, but IMO, Pavia and Manziel can’t even be compared in performance. No way would Pavia single handily handle the Alabama defense like Manziel did. If a P5 takes him, I’ll be surprised.

A P5 team has already offered.

I don’t think they count as P5 anymore as well. I saw Buffalo, WKU, UNT, Was. state. With those offers, he might as well stay at NMSU.

Tony Sanchez was on Kill’s staff, right? With all of their players that have entered the portal, it makes you wonder if they hired the right guy.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I don’t think they count as P5 anymore as well. I saw Buffalo, WKU, UNT, Was. state. With those offers, he might as well stay at NMSU.

Tony Sanchez was on Kill’s staff, right? With all of their players that have entered the portal, it makes you wonder if they hired the right guy.
Imo this is the new norm going forward. Every team will have a bunch of starters and players transferring at the end of the season. Some will chase money others playing time others whatever. Look at Jacksonville St. They had a good season, their coach stayed and they’re still getting beat up in the portal. I expect UTEP to see similar numbers transferring out next season.

As I was saying....LOL Pavia did well this year. The whole team did. That doesn't necessarily mean he will do that again elsewhere with a different coach. Is he better than what we had last year? You bet! Is he better than what is being brought in by our new staff? IDK I believe Walden is bringing in kids that can fit HIS system.
In this bs NIL days, most kids will at least test the waters to get paid. Annoying as hell, but I get it.

Didn't I read somewhere something like 70% don't get signed to D1?

Reactions: shyminer81
UTSA offered too. I’m glad we’re sitting this one out. I don’t really want players with FBS experience that have thrown for 4500 yards and won 17 games the last two years. I like our chances with the fcs kids. Maybe they’re up to this level maybe they’re not. We’ll find out though!

UTSA offered too. I’m glad we’re sitting this one out. I don’t really want players with FBS experience that have thrown for 4500 yards and won 17 games the last two years. I like our chances with the fcs kids. Maybe they’re up to this level maybe they’re not. We’ll find out though!
Yet UTEP did offer at least a couple of NMSU guys on the D-line. Maybe Pavia just isn't OKG? 😉

Last edited:
last thing we need is another QB on scholarship... we have 5 i think one of them better be a superstar!

Reactions: Rot
Imagine doing all that at NMSU, just to transfer to UTEP? He’s unattainable.

If I've learned anything -- he should despise wanting to come to UTEP that would be joining the enemy correct? and if the rivalry is that strong we wouldnt want him here !

If I've learned anything -- he should despise wanting to come to UTEP that would be joining the enemy correct? and if the rivalry is that strong we wouldnt want him here !
Well, there have been players that have transferred between the two schools in basketball recently. I think what your saying used to be true but the transfer portal free agency has changed all of that. Kids don't get a chance to develop the real feeling of what the rivalry once was.

Didn't he beat Auburn?

The rivalry is not strong anymore. UNM is NMSU's rival.

last thing we need is another QB on scholarship... we have 5 i think one of them better be a superstar!

Pavia probably would have taken UTEP to a bowl game in year one. That is definitely the last thing we need!

I was bored and looked up at the top 20 FCS quarterbacks of 2022. None of them led an FBS team to a winning record in 2023. Only one of them had an FBS job in 2023. Different circumstances and scenarios for every guy that I looked up. Some transferred down to FCS and others just rode it out with their FCS team. Pretty telling of the results and the type of success expected from these kids.

Of those five qbs in our locker room how many of them have made back to back bowl games? Are we sure we couldn’t make room for Pavia if needed to?

Sad that UTEP is a downgrade from NMSU.
It’s not until Sanchez can prove he can keep up what Kill was doing. More importantly, if CSW can pull a ten win season or two, we won’t have any issue with the inevitable surge of support.

And I would love Pavia if we can land him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT