ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Luncheon

I couldn't go this year.

Did Floyd just live in the past with the Jeep stuff, or did he also say anything meaningful about this season?

He sounded like he was defending his job more than anything. Still talking about Barbee leaving 11 seniors, all the transfers and what could have been with Isaac Hamilton/Vince and Lee Moore staying. Saying this is another in his words TRANSITIONAL year. WTF man that was a downer luncheon. I could go on but F it just makes me sad haha. Definitely tell hes on the hot seat.

You all do know the Osborne will not play this year as reported my MR.com? He has to sit out a year.

He sounded like he was defending his job more than anything. Still talking about Barbee leaving 11 seniors, all the transfers and what could have been with Isaac Hamilton/Vince and Lee Moore staying. Saying this is another in his words TRANSITIONAL year. WTF man that was a downer luncheon. I could go on but F it just makes me sad haha. Definitely tell hes on the hot seat.

Wow -- sounds like last year's speech downplaying expectations. Did he sound like he might be sandbagging, or more like he thinks his team will struggle?

Dont think he was sandbagging. Seemed a bit bitter for me. Even mentioned Kappy (didnt say his name) with the whole Jeeps #, that a local reporter had issue with it. Even talked a little too long about how our team will stand for the national anthem. Overall kinda weird, not a ra ra speech felt more political. Talking about Vince possibly regretting his decision to declare and how there are now 4x the transfers than a couple years back.
Personally im tired that all he does is make excuses and keep looking at the rear view mirror of what could have been. Our issues are the same issues other programs deal with. He did say he wants to retire here even if some people wish that would come sooner rather than later haha.

Beauty (and ugly) is in the eye of the beholder krappasig. I, for one, saw an engaged and positive coach talking at the Luncheon. You would of hated Coach Haskins during his career based on his preseason prognostications. And I don't buy "Mind Reading" people like you telling me what other people are thinking or whether they're bitter or what they're saying are excuses.

Reactions: unihorn
We hear so little from him, I'm always interested to hear what he has to say when he does speak.

In the end however, it doesn't really matter what he says.

Floyd's days have come and gone. He's in bs mode and hopefully will retire after this year.

This is first time in years that I can remember where UTEP basketball expectations have been so low. Wow!

Beauty (and ugly) is in the eye of the beholder krappasig. I, for one, saw an engaged and positive coach talking at the Luncheon. You would of hated Coach Haskins during his career based on his preseason prognostications. And I don't buy "Mind Reading" people like you telling me what other people are thinking or whether they're bitter or what they're saying are excuses.
Dude I go to all the lunches and his annual speech at the DT rotary club. I've seen him being positive and i've seen him making excuses. Guys on yr 7 and feeling the heat, making excuse after excuse. Still bringing up Tony Barbee yesterday for godsakes. I was all in until after year 5 id say then it hit me this wasn't working out. Wish it was...

Dude I go to all the lunches and his annual speech at the DT rotary club. I've seen him being positive and i've seen him making excuses. Guys on yr 7 and feeling the heat, making excuse after excuse. Still bringing up Tony Barbee yesterday for godsakes. I was all in until after year 5 id say then it hit me this wasn't working out. Wish it was...

Bringing up Barbee at this point is pathetic, stupid, and sad.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think Barrett will be in the NBA someday and will be El Paso's favorite player by year's end ... LOL. This is the only way I can post on the board without getting slashed.

Reactions: CubsFan81

Kappasig said "seemed bitter", which indicates an opinion. You might want to take this year off from the forum or you might go full tirade and blow a fuse from all you are going to vehemently disagree with from posters who are fed up with the shit show.

And honestly, I would rather read kappa's opinion than yours. At least he realizes that the coin has two sides. You might want to get those foggy orange lenses that you watch Floyd and the Miners through, looked at. Reading your bs would have somebody believing everything is great in Minerland and that utep has been to 6 or 8 straight NCAA tourneys if they didn't already know any better.

How do you continue to settle for this shit dude? You are either close to Floyd personally, or you have gone full tard.

Bringing up Barbee at this point is pathetic, stupid, and sad.

Agreed. That's ****ing pathetic. A newby, that came in at the same time as ctf, could almost have graduated twice in the time Floyd has been at utep. How, in all seriousness, can Floyd think it's ok to still be using that lame ass excuse? CTF looks dumber by the day.

Last edited:
These are the ones that have a tendency to surprise people and be memorable.... Sometimes...

I actually think this team's best 8 or 9 players could make this team at least decent............if they had someone who could actually coach them up.

I will say, you may be right, because my expectations for Miner ball are at an all time low...so I may very well be surprised. Hope so.

Agreed. That's ****ing pathetic. A newby, that came in at the same time as ctf, could almost have graduated twice in the time Floyd has been at utep. How, in all seriousness, can Floyd think it's ok to still be using that lame ass excuse? CTF looks dumber by the day.

Barbee upon being told of Floyd's comments yesterday:

a_0.gif

I has been rough the last 4 or 5 years. The way some of you talk is just pity.
I am also frustrated, but you can't blame everything on the coaches. The lack
of leadership between players and motivation is what really kills me. A lot of
times you don't see the players play with heart. When McKenzie Moore more
got kicked out the team we had a good chance to make the NCAA tourney and
he messed it up. McKenzie was probably our best player when he wanted to paly
and not step on the floor with an attitude (what a waste). Some of the transfers are
not Coach Floyds fault and early departures for the NBA were bad decisions by the
players.

GO Miners...

of leadership between players and motivation is what really kills me. A lot of
and not step on the floor with an attitude (what a waste). Some of the transfers are
not Coach Floyds fault and early departures for the NBA were bad decisions by the
players.

GO Miners...

What could have been, but for a little gambling problem...

of leadership between players and motivation is what really kills me.
A lot of
not Coach Floyds fault
and early departures for the NBA were bad decisions by the
players.I don't know. Something has changed with this team. Beat the shit out of OU and then barely get by Tulsa. Then down to lowly SMU. Just not sure.

GO Miners...

I get what you're saying and it is rather simplistic to lay all the blame on a coach. However, there is but one common denominator in all of the last 7 seasons. Only one, and that is ctf.

To your points above:

Floyd is responsible for identifying leaders while he is in the recruiting process. If the team lacks leadership, look to who brought them in.

Look at some of the best coaches, regardless of sport. They are motivators. Of course each has his own way of going about motivating players, however, again the responsibility falls on the coach if there is a lack. Either find kids who are self motivated or as their coach, find a way to motivate them.

About the transfers, again, I tend to agree with you...unless there is a pattern and it keeps happening. I looked up the stats last year after Floyd threw out the % of kids that transfer these days and I posted the results. Floyd was outside the bell curve. UTEP's transfer situation, early departure and no show rate was considered extreme.

Dude, I love utep bb. I wouldn't waste my time and energy expressing my own diatribes if I didn't care. I just want Floyd gone...more than ever...especially because he is spewing the same old excuses rather than owning up to his responsibilities. If you really want to label that as pity, by all means, be my guest...while we watch another year of sub par bb. Don't you want to experience even just a taste of the old glory years?

I get what you're saying and it is rather simplistic to lay all the blame on a coach. However, there is but one common denominator in all of the last 7 seasons. Only one, and that is ctf.

To your points above:

Dude, I love utep bb. I wouldn't waste my time and energy expressing my own diatribes if I didn't care. I just want Floyd gone...more than ever...especially because he is spewing the same old excuses rather than owning up to his responsibilities. If you really want to label that as pity, by all means, be my guest...while we watch another year of sub par bb. Don't you want to experience even just a taste of the old glory years?

I think everyone on here does. At this point I think UTEP can plan on lackluster attendance in basketball. Floyd's Trump'ish banter is making things worse and it will show in butt's in the seat attendance figures. Heck, I don't even think anyone is listening to him other than the local sports media.

He still has some old cronies that support him. They buy into his resume, and his narrative about how flaky kids are these days.

It seems like Floyd is at that age where he is too set in his ways and he can't adapt to what college basketball is now. He's the equivalent of an old man ranting and raving about all these young whisper snappers and their "hippety-hop."

Reactions: unihorn
My biggest concern is that our lack of success is not only due to our coaching staff, but the position/perception of our program as a whole .

We are possibly in the worst conference in the country, and we're not even the best program in said conf. THAT'S a problem. Imagine what a quality athlete thinks when asked about UTEP . It's likely he will have never heard of us, or our conference for that matter. If he wants to research the accomplishments of our program, he'll need to search back 20+ years to find anything of note.

I think CTF is a problem, but I also think there's more to it than a coach who has "lost his way". Either way, fresh blood and fresh ideas are what's needed now. ..

I have spoken to Coach Floyd on a number of occassions and he is a very engaging, friendly person, but of course I don't feel I have the basketball backround to question his coaching ability. As a fan I am not happy with the way things have gone since his arrival. If you look at his coaching history you see that he has been successful everywhere he has gone with the exception of the NBA. Coaching is not an exact science and even the most sought after players are not always successful at the College level. Kids are not loyal, coaches are not loyal, and fan bases are not loyal anymore. Everyone is in it for themselves. It used to be a pride thing to play for a particular university but its not like that any more. UTEP has always been a respected name in college basketball. I remember in the 80's playing and beating teams like Georgetown at the Special Event Center. All of our successful teams of the past have always centered around a stud point guard, athletic wing players, and a decent big man. I believe Coach Floyd is looking for those type of players but we have been average for so long we can't attract the players we need to get where we were. The negativity is a cancer that is killing this program. Kids read these forums and who would want to come to a place that is always putting down the coach. I'm not saying that Coach Floyd has done a great job but we need to support whoever our coach is. Unless you have been a college basketball coach none of us know or appreciate what a difficult job they have. Coach doesn't need the money, and I believe he truly cares about UTEP. I guess we will see about the loyality issue if he happens to string a few good years together. But if he ever left for something "bigger and better" at least we know were on the right path again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT