ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball rumors

WestTxNA3

Four-star recruit
Oct 7, 2015
I've heard rumblings of a couple players that really hurts the team for next year. First rumor I heard is that Lee Moore is contemplating going Pro. Second rumor is that Omega has been or will be kicked off the team for grades and conduct.

For any of you that will challenge me, I have some pretty legit sources and used to report my claims under Bkelly. For reference, I reported about McFarland getting kicked off the football team weeks before any announcement.

https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/mcfarland-already-done.1716/#post-13692

Weren't we trying to get Moore an extra year of eligibility? Omega was already on thin ice from last year so it wouldn't surprise me. If we lose Moore, it would be a bigger blow than Omega imho.

Isn't this the time of year when fans should be titillated by the prospect of stocking the roster with new studs, not deflated by more holes springing in an already leaky bucket?

In some real news, Romine is transferring from the program via Twitter and ABC7

This is horrible news. You were right about McFarland even though everyone here doubted and some even ridiculed you. That explains why even though we need a big impact man we are going after guards.

I really wish the rumors about Floyd retiring after the season were true. In for another long season.

Hope lee Moore comes back!! Even I have had just about enough of this roller coaster!

If they lose Moore and Artis, look for another "rebuilding" yr...
Even if Artis stays, it might still be a rebuilding year. If this is true, this is what we have:

Vets
Artis
Touchet
Willms
Winn
Thomas
B. Jones
Flaggert
Venegas

Newbies
McSwiggan
K. Jones
Cameron
Barrett

Unless his family needs the money or something, I have no idea what Moore would be thinking. I'm hoping he's just wanting to go through the process as college kids can now do instead of being serious about it. It would be Europe or bust for him.

If the Harris thing is true, and I don't know why this is, but for me it's the straw that breaks the camel's back for whatever tepid support I had for Floyd. Guess I just see it as the latest example of him being more interested in meting out discipline than actually building a program.

Well, if you want some good news, Miner Rush is reporting that USC shooting guard Katin Reinhardt is transferring, and has UTEP on his list. The other two possibilities? UConn and Xavier. Which one of these is not like the other? Apparently, he has a close relationship with Floyd and Cantu. I hope that's true because they're going to need it.

So let me get this straight ! The straw that broke the camels back would be kicking someone off the team that is breaking rules ??? That's stupid!!! Everyone is applauding kugler and how tough he is but if Floyd does that he is ridiculed----- that doesn't make any sense

Enough with the constant rebuilding. Why couldn't it be Touchet and Flaggert who are leaving? It always has to be a player (or players) that actually contributes. Next couple of weeks will be interesting.

So let me get this straight ! The straw that broke the camels back would be kicking someone off the team that is breaking rules ??? That's stupid!!! Everyone is applauding kugler and how tough he is but if Floyd does that he is ridiculed----- that doesn't make any sense
I would say the difference is amount of players. A football team can have anywhere from 85-100+ players. We hear of maybe one or two players facing discipline issues in football.

A basketball roster has 13-15 players and we constantly every single year hear about one or two players having discipline issues. Big difference. If Floyd had to manage over 100 players we probably wouldn't have anyone left to field a team.

Who said Artis was leaving?
No one said Artis. Rumors about Romnie transferring have been confirmed. Now rumors about Moore going pro and Omega getting kicked off the team linger on everyone's mind.

I would say the difference is amount of players. A football team can have anywhere from 85-100+ players. We hear of maybe one or two players facing discipline issues in football.

A basketball roster has 13-15 players and we constantly every single year hear about one or two players having discipline issues. Big difference. If Floyd had to manage over 100 players we probably wouldn't have anyone left to field a team.
Kugler inherited an extremely different situation than Floyd did, and discipline and running players off was probably something that was needed. It looks as if he has some sort of plan in place, and I think he has the football program pointed in the right direction. I have no idea if you can say the same thing on either of those points with Floyd. If it's seven years on and Kugler's running his players off and the program isn't any better, then we would all probably reevaluate things.

Here are a couple of reasons the Omega thing bothers me. First, tacking on the extra game after he became eligible last year, then having Floyd publicly questioning whether he even wanted Harris on the team was just bad form. I don't know why you'd call a player out like that.

The bigger issue for me is that Floyd has had 7 (or is this 8?) recruiting classes. This would be at least the third time that I can think of when the class's top recruit failed to even make it to his junior year at UTEP (I'm thinking of Harris, Hamilton, and Twymond Howard). Never mind the role players that have come and gone. I'm not quite sure how you can building a program when you can't even retain the players that you're expecting to be the face of the program.

Here's to hoping that the Harris, Moore and Artis rumors are just that...rumors. This team cannot afford to lose even one of them. Please let the cards fall in UTEP's favor for once!

Reactions: mikesarabia
If Moore, Harris, and Artis return next season, and we can find someone, anyone to help out Winn inside, we have a shot at having a good season. If, however, these rumors prove true, with Moore and Harris departing the team, then I won't expect next season to be any type of improvement over this past season; in fact, it's very possible that we will be worse. Wow. WestTxNA3, I really hope that your sources turn out to be incorrect.

Last edited:

Kugler came in and tried to change the culture of the program when he inherited Price's recruits. I think as we move on, there be less and less of Kugler kicking off athletes because these are guys that he recruited and he has done his due diligence in researching the character of these athletes.

This is 100% Floyd's team that he blows up and reconstructs every offseason.

Reactions: Lucaminer
Losing just one of these players would significantly hurt our chances next year. Losing 2-3 would be devastating. Based on the staff's current recruiting pattern, it is pretty clear that the likelihood of at least some of the rumors having merit are strong. If they are able to get Reinhardt this weekend, that would provide a one year stop gap of sorts for losing Omega.

I wouldn't mind the turnover if Floyd were continually upgrading the talent, but he doesn't seem to be.

Reactions: liebestraum
I wouldn't mind the turnover if Floyd were continually upgrading the talent, but he doesn't seem to be.
And I wouldn't mind the turnover if Floyd had some current Conference banners or trophies to show us his way still works.

Reactions: unihorn

I mind either way.

He's not a GM. He needs to coach up the kids he brought here. It hurts any reputation he may have by stripping scholarships from Student-athletes season after season.

If you are lucky enough to not have to pay for your childs college education because he earned it on his own on the court, would you send him to UTEP?

We just offered another guard who is a transfer student so the rumors are almost certainly true. Freakin shame.

Idk if Moore has some money issues or what, but that's a head scratcher! Harris, that's sad if true, I like him as a player. Artis I think is complete Horse Poo, I just talked to someone who said that's a ridiculous rumor with no merit! If we lose the other two especially Moore we'll have to get two immediate impact transfers to replace him like the USC guy!

When will we know when this is all settled? Surely before August/September won't we?

UPDATE hearing now that Floyd is so sick Omega's antics and would like for him to leave but instead of giving him the boot, he is going to strip him of his scholarship. Forcing Omega to pay for school may make him leave. Also more info on Lee Moore, he is going to declare Pro but not hire an agent, this way if he doesn't get picked up he can come back to UTEP. (not sure how that works but my source close with the team told me that)

UPDATE hearing now that Floyd is so sick Omega's antics and would like for him to leave but instead of giving him the boot, he is going to strip him of his scholarship. Forcing Omega to pay for school may make him leave. Also more info on Lee Moore, he is going to declare Pro but not hire an agent, this way if he doesn't get picked up he can come back to UTEP. (not sure how that works but my source close with the team told me that)

Oh boy!!! That would explain the extra schollie, if true. Sigh...

How does one 'declare pro'? I mean there's no way he's going in the NBA draft. He won't get serious looks from any NBA team. To sign internationally he'll need an agent that speaks the language and has contacts. Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: miner661
How does one 'declare pro'? I mean there's no way he's going in the NBA draft. He won't get serious looks from any NBA team. To sign internationally he'll need an agent that speaks the language and has contacts. Doesn't make sense.

With one, and possibly two, year(s) of eligibility remaining, it would make much more sense for him to return to UTEP and at least give it one more year. If he has any draft stock, he'd stand a better chance of improving it with another year of college ball. I also remember making these same statements a year ago about Hunter. Problem for Moore? He's certainly no Vince Hunter, and even he failed to be drafted. He's hurting both himself and UTEP by leaving. He's wise not to hire an agent.

As long as they don't hire an agent, players can now enter the draft, go through the NBA Draft Combine and one team workout, and then pull back out of the draft if they choose. This allows a player to get in front of NBA people, get feedback, and then make a decision.

Players have to declare by April 24th, and have until May 25th to pull out of the draft if they want to return to college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT