ADVERTISEMENT

Blasphemous

Being the best basketball team in the WAC is like being the best country singer in Egypt.

Keep beating powerhouses like Chicago State and UMKC.

Hope you find a football conference soon!

NMSU's football situation is one thing, but the argument against their basketball success is weak.

Sure, the WAC is a trash conference, but the Aggies have swept us I don't know how many years and counting. So we can't even assume UTEP would have won a few WAC titles lately if we were in that conference.

We'd have probably been third or worse the last few years to NMSU, Grand Canyon and other similar world beaters.

Reactions: FixMyCrown
NMSU's football situation is one thing, but the argument against their basketball success is weak.

Sure, the WAC is a trash conference, but the Aggies have swept us I don't know how many years and counting. So we can't even assume UTEP would have won a few WAC titles lately if we were in that conference.

We'd have probably been third or worse the last few years to NMSU, Grand Canyon and other similar world beaters.

The WAC is no worse than CUSA. Last year they ranked higher in RPI. This year cusa was a little better. There is no tangible difference in the two leagues.

The WAC is no worse than CUSA. Last year they ranked higher in RPI. This year cusa was a little better. There is no tangible difference in the two leagues.
I think the fundamentals say C-USA should be better, however, many of the C-USA schools are mismanaged and under-perform. UTEP perhaps being the biggest offender.

Sweeping UTEP doesn't mean much these days. For all their bravado winning against top teams like UTRGV the team in Las Cruces seems to blow it after conference tournament

I think that CUSA has five or six teams every year that are good, but then the bottom five or six teams are always horrid and drag down everyone's RPI (or actually the NCAA uses the NET now instead). There is so little parity in CUSA top to bottom that it's ridiculous. Given the situation, I think it's smart the way the conference groups teams into tiered play for the end of the season, to help prevent the top teams from taking a hit in their NET by playing the bad teams.

The WAC, on the other hand, has NMSU, a step down is GCU, and maybe one other team (some years yes, some years no), and then the rest of the teams are terribad.

CUSA teams have won games in the NCAA Tournament (this season broke a streak of a few years, but even last season, Marshall, who finished 4th in the conference but won the conference tourney, won their opening game in the NCAA Tournament; can you imagine the 4th-place WAC team winning a game in the NCAA Tournament?). The level of competition among the top 5 or 6 CUSA teams just blows the WAC out of the water. It's such a shame that they're both one-bid conferences; there are some years that I believe CUSA definitely deserves two. Can't say that about the WAC.

Last edited:
Those pay for the womens programs what basketball and football lack in revenue.

I agree with life, it's not sustainable and FCS looks realistic as another year passes.
They basically have a mwc schedule this year. That makes their scheduling easier and more interesting but financially probably doesn't do much for them.

Reactions: Cube Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT