ADVERTISEMENT

Blasphemous

Terry ran the kid out of town. I can't blame him for looking out for number one.
He was our best point guard IMO, who has he been replaced with?

I can’t be mad honestly. College BB is such a dirty sport, and these players’ scholarships are far from guaranteed. If Gillyard felt this was the best spot for him then so be it. I wish him the best.... except when they play UTEP.

This reminds me of the day Hulk Hogan joined the NWO...

"... ..... you can go to he\\.... straight to he\\"

tenor.gif

Maybe a way to look at it is he loved the Borderland and had to find a way back after Coach Terry ran him out of town lol.

Reactions: JCorona
Maybe a way to look at it is he loved the Borderland and had to find a way back after Coach Terry ran him out of town lol.
Same thought I had. Imo this move adds evidence to the speculation that EG was forced out. He likes this area so much that he stayed around instead of accepting an offer closer to his hometown. The effects of this transfer may still be lingering after Terry is gone.

Last edited:
I have to give Gilyard credit because he got the last laugh with Terry. Gilyard is at NMSU and Rodney Terry still hasn't filled his open scholarship.
I mean, what was Terry thinking, if his purpose was to run him off? After seeing so much turnover during the Floyd years, I think it's just a horrible idea to run off your leading scorer. What was he thinking?

Reactions: FixMyCrown
I mean, what was Terry thinking, if his purpose was to run him off? After seeing so much turnover during the Floyd years, I think it's just a horrible idea to run off your leading scorer. What was he thinking?
None of us really know what happened do we? Gilyard didn't feel like he fit in to Terry's plans so he decided to transfer. We didn't win with him. I hope he loses every game to UTEP and his NCAA game too.

Terry doesn't care about Floyd or what happened before. He deserves the opportunity the build this team the way he wants. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that none of us will care about Gilyard after this next season.

I don’t think anyone here should be mad at either UTEP or Gillyard for that matter. Terry has his vision for the team and if these transfers are as good as advertised Gillyard may have found himself going from starter to role player come next year. If Gillyard feels NMSU is his best option then so be it. It will add some tension to the rivalry so that’s never a bad thing.

This did get me thinking: Have there been many athletes that have transferred between the two schools? Off the top of my head I can’t think of any.

Terry chose to build with "his" players, which is fine, I guess. To me, losing a guy like Gilyard is only justifiable if he is able to bring in a higher level player. If that turns out not to be the case, then this is a net loss. Him going to a rival school adds to the sting. I viewed Gilyard as a guy who could contribute to the program. Bottom line is that we need to start winning against a loaded NMSU team, and hopefully that will start next year. I like the team Terry has put together, but Jans has also built a talented and deep team which will be even more experienced next year. As for UTEP, I'm not going to be impressed with moral victories, competitive losses, or excuses this upcoming season. The program has been bad for too long. It is time to win again.

Last edited:
Terry chose to build with "his" players, which is fine, I guess. To me, losing a guy like Gilyard is only justifiable if he is able to bring in a higher level player. If that turns out not to be the case, then this is a net loss. Him going to a rival school adds to the sting. I viewed Gilyard as a guy who contribute to the program. Bottom line is that we need to start winning against a loaded NMSU team, and hopefully that will start next year. I like the team Terry has put together, but Jans has also built a talented and deep team which will be even more experienced next year. As for UTEP, I'm not going to be impressed with moral victories, competitive losses, or excuses this upcoming season. The program has been bad for too long. It is time to win again.
All I'm saying is stop assuming that Terry pushed EG away. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. If so, I do agree it's not the best approach in the world, but I will give Terry his chance. If it works out then nobody will care.

So far we are replacing EG, McGee and PT with Williams, Tarke, Boum, Stroud, Verhoeven, Archie, Vila and Zarzuela...so far. I feel we can also expect a graduate transfer as well. These guys have a ton of D1 experience and a LOT to offer.

All I'm saying is stop assuming that Terry pushed EG away. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. If so, I do agree it's not the best approach in the world, but I will give Terry his chance. If it works out then nobody will care.

So far we are replacing EG, McGee and PT with Williams, Tarke, Boum, Stroud, Verhoeven, Archie, Vila and Zarzuela...so far. I feel we can also expect a graduate transfer as well. These guys have a ton of D1 experience and a LOT to offer.
I'll take $20 on those odds. Once the fans see Tarke, Hawk and Lathon in a UTEP uni together and the media starts rolling out the high lights everyone will start salivating and tickets sales will go up and this will fade away. It stings rights now but I'm hopeful.

Reactions: axingfools1

Thing is, I don't think there was a scholarship available for either Magee or Gilyard, but that is history now. I agree that Terry has brought in some good talent. The next step is to win with that talent, and specifically against a rival like NMSU. It has been way too long for UTEP coaches to have not been held accountable for losing to their rivals. And it is absolutely ridiculous that UTEP has been dominated by NMSU in nearly all sports for years. In basketball, the challenge for Terry is that even with a much improved team, will it be enough to win? At a minimum, he needs to win one game against NMSU.

Reactions: MinerManiac

True, we don’t know the specifics of the departure. I guess it doesn’t even matter at this point.

If CRT wins, any and all will be forgiven. That is the bottom line.

Now, many of us seem to have different ideas of what “win” is. I’m not on board with 20 wins, in and of itself, being enough. A post season tourney starting with “N” is my expectation.

Thing is, I don't think there was a scholarship available for either Magee or Gilyard, but that is history now. I agree that Terry has brought in some good talent. The next step is to win with that talent, and specifically against a rival like NMSU. It has been way too long for UTEP coaches to have not been held accountable for losing to their rivals. And it is absolutely ridiculous that UTEP has been dominated by NMSU in nearly all sports for years. In basketball, the challenge for Terry is that even with a much improved team, will it be enough to win? At a minimum, he needs to win one game against NMSU.
The question is how long is sustainability possible for NMSU? Being a FBS independent in football has tough challenges and football is supposed to be the cash cow. The NCAA basketball revenue helps but is not enough to sustain. They have been owning UTEP but it's not enough to pay the bills.

The question is how long is sustainability possible for NMSU? Being a FBS independent in football has tough challenges and football is supposed to be the cash cow. The NCAA basketball revenue helps but is not enough to sustain. They have been owning UTEP but it's not enough to pay the bills.
I’m sure those million dollar plus payouts they get to get beaten vs Alabama, UCLA, Missouri, Ole Miss, Florida, Kentucky, Minnesota, Washington St, and others do more than makeup for the shitty payoffs CUSA or the Sun Belt offer.

Realistically they have 3-5 years to find a conference or drop to fcs.

I’m sure those million dollar plus payouts they get to get beaten vs Alabama, UCLA, Missouri, Ole Miss, Florida, Kentucky, Minnesota, Washington St, and others do more than makeup for the shitty payoffs CUSA or the Sun Belt offer.
Those pay for the womens programs what basketball and football lack in revenue.

I agree with life, it's not sustainable and FCS looks realistic as another year passes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT