ADVERTISEMENT

Can the Miners defeat Texas?

Fair enough. Beating UT in Austin is still not realistic. Hanging with them for four quarters and showing UTEP's no push-over is quite possible, if not probable. I'll be happy if we accomplish that feat.

Last two years they would've stayed close. This is the wrong year Texas will be much improved and their running game is what will dominate. With that said since they don't throe and we don't throw much game will go by quick and keep score down.
Texas 38
Utep 13

How long they hang with UT will be a good measure of our talent. If we hang a quarter or two we might be good, hang with them 3-4 quarters and we could be really good. Talent and depth will wear us down and how fast that occurs is a good way to measure our strength. As always mistakes and injury are huge factors for us, not so much for them. But upsets do happen every year and how fantastic it would be for the Miners to pull the upset, and if (BIG IF) they could pull off the win it would set us up for what could be an undefeated season. I agree with most however UT has too much at stake to have a bad showing and the pressure on them to win big is going to force them to torch little brother pretty good. I'd say 45-10.

Last two years they would've stayed close. This is the wrong year Texas will be much improved and their running game is what will dominate. With that said since they don't throe and we don't throw much game will go by quick and keep score down.
Texas 38
Utep 13

Obviously not familiar with the new Texas offensive coordinator. Runs the Baylor system. Freshman QB threw for 300 yards in one half in the spring game. Extremely high tempo offense.

Texas ripe for upset. They won't be that good. If Greenlee can recapture his fire, he could light them up. They are vulnerable to the pass. Jones could rip them up. Greenlee is the type of quarteback that can balance out the offense. With Jones, they could put the fear of God in them. Texas vulnerable on defense. Texas Oline iffy, running backs good, but lack speed. Punter could be a weakness as last year he shanked punts into the stands. Place kicker left early, so another suspect area. Qb young but good, came out against Oklahoma only by default. Receivers are tall and fast, but can Oline give enough time to throw.

JUST DRINK IT!
tumblr_o34ga4a9Aj1u1vkloo1_400.gif

Reactions: MINER63
I got My "Orange" sun glasses on at...

Greenlee almost won this! :cool: Jordan Palmer was one of his coaches! :p

Texas ripe for upset. They won't be that good. If Greenlee can recapture his fire, he could light them up. They are vulnerable to the pass. Jones could rip them up. Greenlee is the type of quarteback that can balance out the offense. With Jones, they could put the fear of God in them. Texas vulnerable on defense. Texas Oline iffy, running backs good, but lack speed. Punter could be a weakness as last year he shanked punts into the stands. Place kicker left early, so another suspect area. Qb young but good, came out against Oklahoma only by default. Receivers are tall and fast, but can Oline give enough time to throw.

I like your optimism, however I do believe your assessment of UT might be somewhat misguided. First of all, and let it be known that I hate the wHorns, they will be much improved from the last several years. They will likely set up the run by going pass early on. Their QB isn't the same kid as last year, as Buechele is a true frosh. Like someone mentioned above, the UT offense will look more like Baylor's or TT's offense than a clock killing ground and pound type. I hope UTEP can stay with them somehow but I have my doubts. Like I said, I like your optimism though, and I hope you're right.

Obviously not familiar with the new Texas offensive coordinator. Runs the Baylor system. Freshman QB threw for 300 yards in one half in the spring game. Extremely high tempo offense.
Then in that case 52-20

Kug is too conservative of a coach for these early money games. However, Strong is not stupid and knows Kugler has UTEP'S best players along the line on both sides of ball. Greenlee and Jones are UT's only worry because they can beat containment with their legs. Tons of video to show Jones will kill you if he gets outside the edges so look for UT db's getting a solid course on how to wrap up. UT also does have one the best linebackers in the conference. I can't wait to see Plinke against them; that should be very interesting. But then again, Kug is not a gambler in games like these so he will showing off his blocking skills for this game IMO

You know I give utep about a 2 percent shot at winning this game, however we could certainly use the good publicity from a win like that... But with a Baylor type offense I think we get shredded

The only knock is that particular OC gets stuck in ruts via running the same play or plays over and over again. His tendencies are his downside. His upside is he's pretty good at teaching QBs. This should help Texas.

Their offense is a big concern, but so is the state of their program. They have had two sub-par years and watched as Baylor/TCU stole their thunder so to speak. Strong is in a tough position and needs to make a big splash to get the program out of the doldrums. A slow start this year or a slip-up will signal an end to him as coach. On the other hand, you have to question why has UT underperformed the last few years? They have always had talent but never have seemed to develop it. Is this due to bad schemes, bad luck or bad coaching and does this trend continue? I do think if UT comes out not battle ready UTEP can give them a game. However, I don't think this is very likely due to so much riding on this game for them.

Texas' recent demise has been the result of several factors. First, there HAS been a falloff in talent, although you might not know it from the annual recruiting assessment polls. Second, the hemorrhage of players players since the Strong hire has had a significant impact. Third, and most important, Texas has neither recruited nor developed a bonafide quarterback since since the McCoy era. Just haven't. Parallel that with AnM. Bulletin - You cannot win at ANY level in college football - certainly at the P5 level - without a stud at the most important position on the football field. Just can't.

One might presume that point #3 would not be lost on Sean Kugler. Instead, his fourth season at UTEP begins with a projected starting QB who has yet to so much as take a snap in spring training...

Reactions: unihorn
I agree 100%, but the big question still is, will this trend continue or do they use UTEP as a "we turned the corner win". I think the talent gap is still to wide for UTEP to make a game of it regardless. They get Notre Dame a week before us and that could have a big effect, they beat ND and they will blow us off the field, they lose ugly and UTEP might give them a game for a quarter or two.

This is a very interesting game. In Kugler's fourth year I certainly wont give him a pass for games like this. Texas is still a middle of the pack big 12 team. They had a very difficult time getting a new oc. Just because you install a Baylor offense doesnt mean it will be as explosive as a Baylor offense.

One of the reasons they switched to a 3-4 was to better defend against spread offenses. I do think this defense will be much better against spread offenses.

There are alot of outside factors that make this game intriguing. The media and alumni are ready to throw dirt on the strong era. If they lose to perennially overrated Notre Dame at home, things will get really ugly around that program. Win or lose they play us on a short week which is to our advantage.

Strong is doing good things in Austin. Combining his recruiting class in February with the seven Baylor recruits he poached, the Whorns had the best recruiting class in the country. They will be very good in a year or two, but this year especially early on they will still be very vulnerable.

Speaking of Notre Dame, remember when Gerry Faust took over and Air Force drilled them. :eek: Same reasons as stated above; good talent, poor coaching!!! :p

Isn't Charlie Storm supposed to be on the hot seat? Sure sounds like it, for whatever reasons. That's not a good environment for the players to be in. His assistant coaches may well be looking for other jobs. The players are wondering who their next coach will be. If he loses to UTEP he'll be fired before he can leave the stadium. The players may not care.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Thanks for everyone's opinions. You guys are really smart. I think we can beat Texas. Imagine the joy!

Reactions: e-rick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT