ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Veliz, new WR coach?

Dec 22, 2016
Not starting this thread to bang on my chest and say my guess was right, but to express major concern...

1) If Veliz left Montwood to become UTEP's video department whatever he was, then promoted to WR coach, I'd be okay with it as its a true promotion. The douche was basically canned for being accused of stealing funds from the Montwood program and now has a job here at UTEP. He shouldn't be nowhere near this program due to Kugler building this thing with character, and integrity, something I think Veliz lost when he was constantly throwing temper tantrums at refs and winning at the high school level.

2) There is no way in hell he is qualified. The ole Franklin coach Tony Grijalva might have been a better hire, hell even Julio Lopez (HC at Eastwood) who played under Veliz at Montwood and Price at UTEP. Someone even commented on here that they didn't feel he was qualified when I mentioned him in the previous thread. If I remember right, Montwood was blessed with talent due to the Eastside population boom but he was always pegged as a bad gambler and terrible game manager in playoff situations (was on the good side of one of his stupid moves when I played for Andress in '03 that cost him a District Title), and he never made it past the area round despite a string of district titles (five to be exact at Montwood). He dominated at Del Valle winning 3-district titles in a row before leaving to coach Montwood, but this is a terrible hire for a FBS program. This isn't El Paso High school football who hasn't had a team reach anything noteworthy in terms of coaches winning past the area round in 6A football. What recruiting ties does he have? Can he relate and gain respect of established college kids? Can he go into a house hold and sell UTEP's offense to potential WR's? Is he the answer to improve a position group that desperately needs to take a huge step with almost UTEP's entire 2016 offense heading to the NFL? I think not.

3) UTEP couldn't afford an FBS or FCS level coach and/or the market wasn't there, or we can't pay assistant coaches decent money to pry someone from lets say New Mexico, a Sun Belt school, or a small college. Aych I'm sure wasn't paid very highly coming from D-II, but Veliz is probably a cheap hire.

Overall, I hope I'm wrong, and not overreacting, but this hire could spell the beginning of the end of the Kugler era. A lazy hire....

Reactions: JCorona
Exactly not a good trade going from a coach that specialized in Houston to one that will most likely be in charge of El Paso.

Not starting this thread to bang on my chest and say my guess was right, but to express major concern...

1) If Veliz left Montwood to become UTEP's video department whatever he was, then promoted to WR coach, I'd be okay with it as its a true promotion. The douche was basically canned for being accused of stealing funds from the Montwood program and now has a job here at UTEP. He shouldn't be nowhere near this program due to Kugler building this thing with character, and integrity, something I think Veliz lost when he was constantly throwing temper tantrums at refs and winning at the high school level.

2) There is no way in hell he is qualified. The ole Franklin coach Tony Grijalva might have been a better hire, hell even Julio Lopez (HC at Eastwood) who played under Veliz at Montwood and Price at UTEP. Someone even commented on here that they didn't feel he was qualified when I mentioned him in the previous thread. If I remember right, Montwood was blessed with talent due to the Eastside population boom but he was always pegged as a bad gambler and terrible game manager in playoff situations (was on the good side of one of his stupid moves when I played for Andress in '03 that cost him a District Title), and he never made it past the area round despite a string of district titles (five to be exact at Montwood). He dominated at Del Valle winning 3-district titles in a row before leaving to coach Montwood, but this is a terrible hire for a FBS program. This isn't El Paso High school football who hasn't had a team reach anything noteworthy in terms of coaches winning past the area round in 6A football. What recruiting ties does he have? Can he relate and gain respect of established college kids? Can he go into a house hold and sell UTEP's offense to potential WR's? Is he the answer to improve a position group that desperately needs to take a huge step with almost UTEP's entire 2016 offense heading to the NFL? I think not.

3) UTEP couldn't afford an FBS or FCS level coach and/or the market wasn't there, or we can't pay assistant coaches decent money to pry someone from lets say New Mexico, a Sun Belt school, or a small college. Aych I'm sure wasn't paid very highly coming from D-II, but Veliz is probably a cheap hire.

Overall, I hope I'm wrong, and not overreacting, but this hire could spell the beginning of the end of the Kugler era. A lazy hire....
I feel confident that it is not a money issue. Last year according to the USAToday info UTEP had the highest pay for assistants in C-USA. May not be true now with the big splash hires at the F_U schools.

I think the thing at Montwood was a witch hunt, as he was never convicted of anything. The man can coach. Coach Kugler should be able to pick whomever he feels is adequate to help him run the program. I for one trust his decision (s).

If he wasn't guilty of anything, why would he quit? And why wasn't he hired elsewhere?

Where there's smoke......

I will always say, it's easy to win in high school when the talent flows to you. El Dorado took some of Montwood's talent. Would they be as good now? nope. New High schools get all the talent from around. It's the pretty shinny new school. It drags from existing schools. Great coaches can win even at lesser schools and get talent to want to come to them. Open enrollment sucks ass.

As for chuckie, I never liked him but respected the wins he got in town. I always wondered if he was that good seeing he couldn't take the kids deep into the playoffs.

I had heard that he got the job, that's why I comfirmed it on your other thread Roy. But I have similar questions that you have.

He will be fine coaching the position and Veliz is well traveled on the clinic circuit, probably will be a speaker in the 2018 circuits and will make lots of connections and hopefully bring talent to UTEP.

He's a confident guy, arrogant to some extent. But he's a good football coach. I think it will work out.

If he wasn't guilty of anything, why would he quit? And why wasn't he hired elsewhere?

Where there's smoke......

I will always say, it's easy to win in high school when the talent flows to you. El Dorado took some of Montwood's talent. Would they be as good now? nope. New High schools get all the talent from around. It's the pretty shinny new school. It drags from existing schools. Great coaches can win even at lesser schools and get talent to want to come to them. Open enrollment sucks ass.

As for chuckie, I never liked him but respected the wins he got in town. I always wondered if he was that good seeing he couldn't take the kids deep into the playoffs.

I have to agree on the smoke thing. I'm not, nor have I ever been a fan of hiring assistant coaches with baggage like that - especially with the scrutiny athletics have today. Those type of allegations bring with it an unnecessary distraction that few coaching staffs can absorb. Nick Saban could absorb this with no problem. Unless the story (allegation dies) and there's no interest in revisiting it, I don't think Kug's can. Having said that, I'm sure Kug's did his due diligence on the issue before making the job offer. At least I hope so.

I had heard that he got the job, that's why I comfirmed it on your other thread Roy. But I have similar questions that you have.

He will be fine coaching the position and Veliz is well traveled on the clinic circuit, probably will be a speaker in the 2018 circuits and will make lots of connections and hopefully bring talent to UTEP.

He's a confident guy, arrogant to some extent. But he's a good football coach. I think it will work out.

I would like to believe we are society of second chances, however, it the career criminally minded who keep receiving umpteenth chances that drives me insane (yes, I know many play the fence with law enforcement).

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Kugler has worked with Coach Veliz since last spring and got to know him by recruiting his players. Veliz volunteered last spring and then got a paid position for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT