ADVERTISEMENT

CJG Recruiting Grades

Wow. So NMSU class is a B+? I respectably say you're way off. I think NMSUs class is 10 times better than Uteps. NMSU has the size and beat top programs to get their players. They also lost alot of players. NMSU class is definitely 2 letters above Uteps.
Aside from Dajuan Gordon, most of their recruits look very similar to ours. A bunch of 2 star kids. A couple of them may have played well at the JC level but we know first hand that they rarely pan out at the D1 level. Ivy-Curry de-committed already. That Bol kid is only a 2 star even though he stands out at 7’3” and had all recruiting eyes on him. What about their class makes them 2 grades better than the Miners?

Aside from Dajuan Gordon, most of their recruits look very similar to ours. A bunch of 2 star kids. A couple of them may have played well at the JC level but we know first hand that they rarely pan out at the D1 level. Ivy-Curry de-committed already. That Bol kid is only a 2 star even though he stands out at 7’3” and had all recruiting eyes on him. What about their class makes them 2 grades better than the Miners?
Xavier Pinson and Deshandre Washington were good gets.

247 has NMSU ranked 37 in transfers. Utep is not ranked.

i think Greg Heiar has done a better job recruiting.

I agree with the grades from a recruiting standpoint, but I think Golding is looking through a different lens. I’m thinking Moneyball, in a sense. We know that our past coach was all about the stars and that got us with a player consistently on or in talks to make the CUSA team but did squat in regards to wins. If Golding has found the secret sauce, then I’m good. I would rather have a true team with players that can consistently contribute versus to a team with one or two superstars that when their off, the team loses big. Time will tell…

I would agree with that statement about Heiar. NMSU sells itself better than UTEP does at this point in time. WAC or WAC tourney champs like 9 out of 10 years or something like that. Hard to compete with that.

Tell me who you think has a better recruiting class this year. NMSU or Utep??
You're the same guy who just said UTEP would have a first-round draft pick in 2025, correct?

Is such a prediction indicative of bad recruiting?

There is an old joke in Virginia that Virginia Tech resurfaced their football field using recycled newsprint because the team always looked better on paper. Grading the team before you actually see them play a game is idle speculation. Fun to do but doesn't change anything. Golding will have an almost entirely new roster. If he can still get 20 wins out of them, I'd say that is a positive. If that happens, then let's grade him.

There is an old joke in Virginia that Virginia Tech resurfaced their football field using recycled newsprint because the team always looked better on paper. Grading the team before you actually see them play a game is idle speculation. Fun to do but doesn't change anything. Golding will have an almost entirely new roster. If he can still get 20 wins out of them, I'd say that is a positive. If that happens, then let's grade him.
Yup. This is like one of those "Way Too Early" threads.

Although Golding admittedly missed out on several recruiting targets, he was able to bring in a few guys who are known commodities at the D1 level in Givance, Hardy, and Solomon. All three of these guys have the potential to be solid players in CUSA. Golding focused on getting older, experienced guys and that should be a major plus, although other coaches have also taken a similar approach. If the three holdovers from last year are able to make that sophomore leap, there is a chance to have a decent season. Ideally, this team will have more true depth than last year. So, there are some positives for the team, but like others have mentioned, we will need to see how pieces come together. I am confident Golding can motivate his team, but I do question if he was able to bring in enough talent. In particular, I'm not super confident that the team has a true offensive inside presence.

If there is one true point to the gripes on Golding's recruiting this season is that he didn't get a good big man to lock down the middle. Would he have lost other recruits by concentrating too much on that one area? Don't know.

Im changing my grade to a C-. I went to go see more highlights of the recruits.
i saw a newer highlight real of Dos Anjos and i was impressed. This team is going to be more
athletic up front with him. I think Golding can play Solomon and Anjos at the 4 and 5. ANjos is good shooter and he will open it up so the quick guards can do their thing.

Im changing my grade to a C-. I went to go see more highlights of the recruits.
i saw a newer highlight real of Dos Anjos and i was impressed. This team is going to be more
athletic up front with him. I think Golding can play Solomon and Anjos at the 4 and 5. ANjos is good shooter and he will open it up so the quick guards can do their thing.

Offensively, dos Anjos is pretty skilled at all three levels, but in the games I saw, tends to be turnover prone. His game is primarily perimeter based. Defensively, he would have huge issues guarding alot of interior 4/5s because he lacks physical strength. In JC, he spent the majority of his time as a 3 offensively, and defending SFs as well. I would consider him similar to Sibley in terms of physicality. I would be very surprised to see him at the 5.

Offensively, dos Anjos is pretty skilled at all three levels, but in the games I saw, tends to be turnover prone. His game is primarily perimeter based. Defensively, he would have huge issues guarding alot of interior 4/5s because he lacks physical strength. In JC, he spent the majority of his time as a 3 offensively, and defending SFs as well. I would consider him similar to Sibley in terms of physicality. I would be very surprised to see him at the 5.
Solomon will play center. I think Golding said he could guard all 5 positions . I'm not saying start like that but could definitely do that. Anjos has the most experience playing besides Solomon. Dont forget he started his career at Loyola.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT