ADVERTISEMENT

Close but no cigar

minergabe

Rookie
Dec 27, 2007
UTEP played LA Tech hard for about 37 minutes and definitely had their chances to win but no cigar. The turnovers, poor defense against the 3 pointer, and missed free throws doomed them. This team is seriously lacking a lock down defender and a closer, someone to take over at the end of the game. I feel like that last few years, UTEP has been a player or two away from being really good. If UTEP can somehow regain their confidence and play with that "refuse to lose" mentality, they might make a run. NOT GIVING UP JUST YET.

That's the problem.... UTEP is always a player or two away from being really good.

You know who else is a player or two from being really good -- USM, La Tech, Rice, UCF, and pretty much every other mediocre college team in the country....

That's the problem.... UTEP is always a player or two away from being really good.

You know who else is a player or two from being really good -- USM, La Tech, Rice, UCF, and pretty much every other mediocre college team in the country....

I agree with you USAF in regards to always being a player or two shy. However, I don't think we're a player or two from being REALLY good as minergabe suggests. Maybe PRETTY good, but no way in hell does a player or two change the dynamics of this team that much.

Trolls? Please...

The difference between those really good teams and us typically relies on their ability to recruit that extra one or two key player(s) . Most schools can get a few good players who excel in their role ( like us), but they're usually a couple of players shy of creating those special teams that are successful in the post season. That is what separates the top ~10% from the rest.

Like I said, we're always a couple players shy of doing something special....same as the other 90% of college bball teams...

@FanatiCoog-- if Hunter had stayed and wilmms was healthy, we would have had a chance to be pretty good, but only because Hunter is such a special kind of beast and Wilmms would have at least been better than Hooper on the glass and defensively. So, in a sense, minergabe is possibly right.

But Like I stated before, that can't be the excuse every year. Eventually, you have to get that extra player or two and keep them in a damn Miner uniform.... Something Floyd can't seem to do..

Last edited:
Reactions: minergabe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT