ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches better than Rodney Terry thread

UTEP2Step. Does PurpleFire still post? He defended Floyd all the way till the end.
I think purplefire posts under DBMiner...or something like that. Yeah, he sure backed Floyd til the bitter end. Pretty sure there was some nostalgia involved. Doesn’t seem to be nearly as committed to CRT. I don’t know...maybe I’m wrong.

2step...does NoWins speaketh thy truth? You’re not still on board with Terry, are you?

I think purplefire posts under DBMiner...or something like that. Yeah, he sure backed Floyd til the bitter end. Pretty sure there was some nostalgia involved. Doesn’t seem to be nearly as committed to CRT. I don’t know...maybe I’m wrong.

2step...does NoWins speaketh thy truth? You’re not still on board with Terry, are you?
NoWins is not a miner fan. Don't let his slight of hand, change with winds diatribe fool you. Let's not forget he has changed his handle one or two times. I think those on here have forgotten that but that's besides the point.

However, even a whisper of truth has slipped out of Trump's mouth believe it or not, so yes he spoke truth.

Terry can have the entire Baylor squad transfer to UTEP and he would still have them underperform. Second, his post game comments were excuse after excuse (he did mention one of the players had a tragic family loss and I'm sorry to hear that). This was his worst post game comments I have heard as of yet; Floyd would be proud. If Terry had a hint of shame, he would give that extension back to UTEP.

Second, his guard happy offense is not efficient. We're stuck with Boum another year and even if UTEP got a 5 star center, he would still jack up 80 shots per game to get his 20 points.

Third, year three you should see big improvement and Terry went backwards. Stop blaming Covid, stop with the "our guys played hard", stop with the "we gotta move forward". You blew two years in a row and it even wasn't against ODU or WKU..... Jeezus!. Next year, if I hear a commentator refer to Terry as a "one of the young up and coming new coaches for CUSA" like I did last night, I am going to hurl. He is not a good coach. In mid major ball you progress, then rebuild (because players graduate or transfer on) and create progress again. You see it at ODU, WKU and La Tech, there is a consistent pattern. Senter held Dimel's feet to the fire for the last game loss to UNT and he should hold Terry's feet to the fire for last night's loss. Senter, don't you dare point to the Kansas game as improvement during your interviews within the coming days, but you will, sadly.

In conclusion, I am now officially on the Fire Terry bandwagon because three years at the helm is more than adequate. Williams is gone and players like that come once every ten years or so. Boum is back next year and he is a "shoot first, look for the big man second" type player. Fundamental basketball teaches the opposite but coaches like Terry recruit dribble and slash players. FAU showed the classic "high low" is still tough to beat and still reliable decades later. Terry and Marshall's D'Antoni "3 ball" is inconsistent, and just doesn't work night in-night out. I don't see next year improving and one above average juco recruit isn't going to make it better.

But I will still "Cheer" for UTEP no matter. That piece of paper hanging on my wall is a prized possession and no punk will change that.

NoWins is not a miner fan. Don't let his slight of hand, change with winds diatribe fool you. Let's not forget he has changed his handle one or two times. I think those on here have forgotten that but that's besides the point.

However, even a whisper of truth has slipped out of Trump's mouth believe it or not, so yes he spoke truth.

Terry can have the entire Baylor squad transfer to UTEP and he would still have them underperform. Second, his post game comments were excuse after excuse (he did mention one of the players had a tragic family loss and I'm sorry to hear that). This was his worst post game comments I have heard as of yet; Floyd would be proud. If Terry had a hint of shame, he would give that extension back to UTEP.

Second, his guard happy offense is not efficient. We're stuck with Boum another year and even if UTEP got a 5 star center, he would still jack up 80 shots per game to get his 20 points.

Third, year three you should see big improvement and Terry went backwards. Stop blaming Covid, stop with the "our guys played hard", stop with the "we gotta move forward". You blew two years in a row and it even wasn't against ODU or WKU..... Jeezus!. Next year, if I hear a commentator refer to Terry as a "one of the young up and coming new coaches for CUSA" like I did last night, I am going to hurl. He is not a good coach. In mid major ball you progress, then rebuild (because players graduate or transfer on) and create progress again. You see it at ODU, WKU and La Tech, there is a consistent pattern. Senter held Dimel's feet to the fire for the last game loss to UNT and he should hold Terry's feet to the fire for last night's loss. Senter, don't you dare point to the Kansas game as improvement during your interviews within the coming days, but you will, sadly.

In conclusion, I am now officially on the Fire Terry bandwagon because three years at the helm is more than adequate. Williams is gone and players like that come once every ten years or so. Boum is back next year and he is a "shoot first, look for the big man second" type player. Fundamental basketball teaches the opposite but coaches like Terry recruit dribble and slash players. FAU showed the classic "high low" is still tough to beat and still reliable decades later. Terry and Marshall's D'Antoni "3 ball" is inconsistent, and just doesn't work night in-night out. I don't see next year improving and one above average juco recruit isn't going to make it better.

But I will still "Cheer" for UTEP no matter. That piece of paper hanging on my wall is a prized possession and no punk will change that.
Well, as one of the early members of the club, let me extend a warm “welcome aboard” to you, too.

And while I didn’t know your stance on CRT, your allegiance and fandom to UTEP has never been in doubt in my mind.

Well, as one of the early members of the club, let me extend a warm “welcome aboard” to you, too.

And while I didn’t know your stance on CRT, your allegiance and fandom to UTEP has never been in doubt in my mind.

My father was a traveling salesman and retired military who has been around the country and when I was a teen he told me there will always be your local group of "(put your local college name here) sucks". Las Cruces/Southern NM was his sales territory for years and years and he couldn't believe how horrible the locals there talked bad about NMSU.....and this was during the Henson and McCarthy years as well! No matter what the college does, they'll crap on the local college school and NoWins is one such person. El Paso has a plethora. For years, everyday on the radio and print media there was Natalicio bashing and how horrid of a president she was and what did she do? Made UTEP Tier 1 and now she was the greatest since Black Jack Pershing came to El Paso to chase Pancho Villa.

My father was a traveling salesman and retired military who has been around the country and when I was a teen he told me there will always be your local group of "(put your local college name here) sucks". Las Cruces/Southern NM was his sales territory for years and years and he couldn't believe how horrible the locals there talked bad about NMSU.....and this was during the Henson and McCarthy years as well! No matter what the college does, they'll crap on the local college school and NoWins is one such person. El Paso has a plethora. For years, everyday on the radio and print media there was Natalicio bashing and how horrid of a president she was and what did she do? Made UTEP Tier 1 and now she was the greatest since Black Jack Pershing came to El Paso to chase Pancho Villa.

Oh please, you’re pathetic. You don’t remember my posts from 2004-2010. Please enlighten me on all the great stuff UTEP athletics has done in the last 5 years. When I see crap, I call it out. I am not you, who was defending Terry yesterday, but now allegedly on the “fire him bandwagon”. Last year, you said this was “CRT’s town” and now you’re wanting him run out of town.

Yeah I am not a Miner fan, but can tell you who Franklin Jones, Maurice Thomas, and Ervin Youmans are. Good call out!

What do we get out of talking shit about Terry? That you get to be right? We get it he sucks and we're awful, but guess what? We're still stuck with him. If defending means supporting and wishing he surprises us with wins then I'm guilty too.

What do we get out of talking shit about Terry? That you get to be right? We get it he sucks and we're awful, but guess what? We're still stuck with him. If defending means supporting and wishing he surprises us with wins then I'm guilty too.

Hopefully someone at UTEP sees the discontent. You understand how feedback works correct?

Hopefully someone at UTEP sees the discontent. You understand how feedback works correct?
Do you understand how money works? Let's see some action. At other universities fans independently raise the buyout money to fire the coach they don't like. All we do is bifch and complain.

Hire Chris Jans

History says that's a bad idea. Every coach that's left NMSU recently has failed spectacularly at their next stop. Menzies was terrible at UNLV, Weir is the worst coach in UNM basketball history, Theus went to the NBA for a season and a half and then failed spectacularly at UC Riverside.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
History says that's a bad idea. Every coach that's left NMSU recently has failed spectacularly at their next stop. Menzies was terrible at UNLV, Weir is the worst coach in UNM basketball history, Theus went to the NBA for a season and a half and then failed spectacularly at UC Riverside.

Northridge not Riverside

Pitino is kinda expensive. I'm at the point where I just want to see winning. I wouldn't have mind a Pitino/Briles hires. Forget morals just win.

Pitino is kinda expensive. I'm at the point where I just want to see winning. I wouldn't have mind a Pitino/Briles hires. Forget morals just win.
Oh God no Corona! The "Faustian Bargain" or "The ends justify the means" is a rabbit hole fans should not want their colleges to go down into.

UTEP has historically turned a blind eye to player behavior over the decades but they have not done that and I hope they never do.

Grand Canyon about to finish off NMSU. Bryce Drew going to make it in his first season and only GCU’s 8th season in D1. Guess it’s easier to come from D2 than win at UTEP with the highest paid coaches ever.

He did have 6 losing seasons before turning that program around. Could Terry have success eventually at UTEP in a similar fashion? IDK but we have all lost faith that he can.
Yeah, I’d say the two big differences are that ACU has only been D1 since 2013. Golding slowly increased win totals almost every year during those first 5 years until making the tourney 2019. Now he’s made it twice...and won a game. The other difference is the evident chemistry the team has formed. They bust ass for each other. They were not the best team on the floor last night but they won with heart. I have yet to see a CRT coached team play with any heart...and it shows. They may have a game where they put it together but then they look completely disjointed the next game. No damn chemistry. This guy can coach circles around Terry.

It took him 8 years before he had his first winning conference record. Most utep fans want a conference title and ncaa appearance by year 2-3. No way we have the patience for that.

It took him 8 years before he had his first winning conference record. Most utep fans want a conference title and ncaa appearance by year 2-3. No way we have the patience for that.

Can’t compare. He was leading a transition from D2 to D1. UTEP is a bigger program than ACU. It shouldn’t take a UTEP coach 8 years to be “successful”. 8 years of “building” is acceptable at small schools, not here at UTEP.

Can’t compare. He was leading a transition from D2 to D1. UTEP is a bigger program than ACU. It shouldn’t take a UTEP coach 8 years to be “successful”. 8 years of “building” is acceptable at small schools, not here at UTEP.
The point is had he been hired at UTEP and produced similar results to his first 8 years he would have been canned a long time ago and we would have never seen him take the team to the NCAAs.

I agree. One has to consider how difficult it is to recruit to a school that is ineligible to play in the post season due to divisional transition period. Since they’ve transitioned, this coach has put together an impressive resume.

Also, the eye test says a lot. Those kids play hard. Hell, they lead the nation in forced turnovers. They hustle. They are not selfish. They are well coached.

Last edited:
The point is had he been hired at UTEP and produced similar results to his first 8 years he would have been canned a long time ago and we would have never seen him take the team to the NCAAs.
Agree. We wouldn’t have waited out the 8 years. But utep would have had more of a base to work with. Golding probably wouldn’t have needed 8 years to do something at utep.

If a UTEP basketball coach’s “trajectory” isn’t continuing upward after 4 years, he should be fired. Billy Gillespie turned the program around with one recruiting class. His first year started late, so he really turned it around in 1 year.

Terry should already be fired, if they don’t make the NIT next year, he should definitely be fired.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If a UTEP basketball coach’s “trajectory” isn’t continuing upward after 4 years, he should be fired. Billy Gillespie turned the program around with one recruiting class. His first year started late, so he really turned it around in 1 year.

Terry should already be fired, if they don’t make the NIT next year, he should definitely be fired.
That's what I'm saying we don't have the patience. Sure maybe he does it in under four years but what if he doesn't. We're just going to fire every coach that doesn't have an ncaa tournament or conference title by year 2-3?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT