ADVERTISEMENT

Conference USA UNDERRATED!

FAU just doesn’t seem to get rattled. Very composed. Play much like a veteran team even though most of their production comes from sophomores, and a rs frosh.
I remember thinking last year, the only guy who I thought was anything special was Martin. I was expecting him to transfer out. Boy was I wrong. The young guys like Davis, Goldin, and Rosado are much improved, and then you add Boyd. Wow. Really no forwards on the team, but they still rebound and defend. Really an excellent model for mid majors in my opinion.

I remember thinking last year, the only guy who I thought was anything special was Martin. I was expecting him to transfer out. Boy was I wrong. The young guys like Davis, Goldin, and Rosado are much improved, and then you add Boyd. Wow. Really no forwards on the team, but they still rebound and defend. Really an excellent model for mid majors in my opinion.
Agree. They are gonna be really good for at least another year, if not two.

You know, before last year’s tourney started, rocketsr talked about how the Big10 is always overrated and that they’d flop big time. He absolutely nailed it. But he said something where he lost me and I thought he had to have been a homer…and that was to watch out for SDSU and that they had a chance to be especially competitive in the next couple years, and maybe even challenge for a national championship. Good call dude!!

You know, before last year’s tourney started, rocketsr talked about how the Big10 is always overrated and that they’d flop big time. He absolutely nailed it. But he said something where he lost me and I thought he had to have been a homer…and that was to watch out for SDSU and that they had a chance to be especially competitive, and maybe even challenge for a national championship. Good call dude!!
I know my buddy MinerManiac has to be happy. I'm pulling for the Aztecs as well for all the mid majors.

That’s right. It sure helps when you’re a die hard Miner fan but you have a strong connection to another school who does well. Didn’t he get his masters from there?

I’m rooting for them too. Go little guys (mid majors)!
Yep, you and Train are right, I go my MS from SDSU back in 93. I'm rooting hard for the Aztecs in the championship game for two reasons:
1. Obviously, they're one of my alma maters, and
2. It's about time a mid major won this thing again.

I forgot it’s been a 33 year road for SDSU when Fischer took over in 1990 when they were a directionless program that were the joke of the WAC. The Bear didn’t even like playing in their gym. Fischer made them a national power.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I forgot it’s been a 33 year road for SDSU when Fischer took over in 1990 when they were a directionless program that were the joke of the WAC. The Bear didn’t even like playing in their gym. Fischer made them a national power.
Correction, 2Step, a 24 year journey. Fisher was hired in 99, not 90, and yes, he gets the credit for turning around Aztec Basketball. And yes, both gyms that the Aztecs used to play in, the large but decrepit San Diego Sports Arena and the on campus high school quality Peterson Gym were both horrible.

Last edited:
I guess no one remembers Michael Cage? SDSU had a pro lineup with Smokey Gaines as coach. I believe 3 players were drafted, as Watson and Allen were also on that team. They won the WAC tournament in 84-85. I believe it was in El Paso.

But, you are right, they never had any success until 2001-02 under Fisher when they made it to the NCAA tournament 3 years removed from the WAC.

I guess no one remembers Michael Cage? SDSU had a pro lineup with Smokey Gaines as coach. I believe 3 players were drafted, as Watson and Allen were also on that team. They won the WAC tournament in 84-85. I believe it was in El Paso.

But, you are right, they never had any success until 2001-02 under Fisher when they made it to the NCAA tournament 3 years removed from the WAC.
Yep. I also remember when Tony Gwynn (RIP) played with the Aztecs.

I remember the Smokey Gaines Aztecs, and Michael Cage. I also remember that they won that WAC Tournament to make the NCAA Tournament in 85, the year after Cage graduated (they had another big who was pretty good, his name escapes me). But Gaines couldn't repeat that success after that. They stole Icabod Crane, err, Jim Brandenburg away from Wyoming, but he couldn't win in San Diegi, nor could anyone else until they finally hired Fisher and built a nice arena. The Aztecs' success in the last 20+ years far out weighs any success they had before that.

You know, before last year’s tourney started, rocketsr talked about how the Big10 is always overrated and that they’d flop big time. He absolutely nailed it. But he said something where he lost me and I thought he had to have been a homer…and that was to watch out for SDSU and that they had a chance to be especially competitive in the next couple years, and maybe even challenge for a national championship. Good call dude!!
Wow, you have a great memory my friend. I got SDSU at 75 to 1 this year to win the national championship. I knew this was the team they were building after being shafted in 2020. They were 5th and 6th year seniors, and got the 2 scorers they needed with Trammel and Parish. I really thought I was getting incredible value at that number.

Now you know why I thought that. The Defense is exactly the same, but they lacked scoring. These were the 2 guys they were missing as they never got transfers like that before.

Che Evans must feel like an idiot as he transfered out last year. UTEP, SDSU, and now SC Upstate. Guess maybe he was forced out as he was not a defense first guy.

Big 10 is a joke every year. Last 3 years a combined 26 teams in, and only 3 to the Sweet 16 and each lost there. My belief is that they lack an out of conference schedule and just because they beat on each other, there is no basis that the conference as a whole is strong, and if you do not play teams out of your conference, how do you really know.

I remember the Smokey Gaines Aztecs, and Michael Cage. I also remember that they won that WAC Tournament to make the NCAA Tournament in 85, the year after Cage graduated (they had another big who was pretty good, his name escapes me). But Gaines couldn't repeat that success after that. They stole Icabod Crane, err, Jim Brandenburg away from Wyoming, but he couldn't win in San Diegi, nor could anyone else until they finally hired Fisher and built a nice arena. The Aztecs' success in the last 20+ years far out weighs any success they had before that.
Here is a good article that mirrors what has been said here: And the other 2 were Allen and Watson with Cage I believe. All Drafted to the NBA.

Correction, 2Step, a 24 year journey. Fisher was hired in 99, not 90, and yes, he gets the credit for turning around Aztec Basketball. And yes, both gyms that the Aztecs used to play in, the large but decrepit San Diego Sports Arena and the on campus high school quality Peterson Gym were both horrible.
Oops. Gracias

Everyone hated that high school gym they played in. Steve Fisher is living proof you can get canned 7 years after winning a national title for one of the biggest scandals in college basketball history and still get rehired elsewhere if you can recruit

Everyone hated that high school gym they played in. Steve Fisher is living proof you can get canned 7 years after winning a national title for one of the biggest scandals in college basketball history and still get rehired elsewhere if you can recruit
Steve Fisher...., or is Jerry Tarkanian the ultimate poster child? The difference is that Fisher had no issues at SDSU, but Tark at Fresno State, that was a whole different issue. Point shaving, Players playing on drugs, Assaults galore, attacking with a sword, and robbing. That is just some of the issues. This was ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPUTEP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT