• 11-12

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 13+

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
How do you guys think Coach Terry will do in his first season at UTEP. I did a little bit of research on how other rookie CUSA coaches performed. I’m mainly focusing on the conference record. Since the OOC record can be patted up with easy d2 teams or runs in one of the C-tournaments.

2018-2019 Season
UTEP: TBD. PSR 11-20 (6-12)

Charlotte: TBD. PSR 6-23 (2-16)

FAU: TBD. PSR 12-19 (6-12)

MTSU: TBD PSR 25-8 (16-2)

2017-2018 Season
UNT - 18-17 (8-10) PSR 8-22 (2-16)

RICE - 7-24 (4-14) PSR 23-12 (11-7)

2016-2017
UTSA: 14-19 (8-10) PSR 5-27 (3-15)

UAB: 17-16 (9-9) PSR 26-7 (16-2)

WKU: 15-16 (9-9) PSR 18-16 (8-10)

2015-2016
La Tech: 23-10 (12-6) PSR 27-9 (15-3)

2014-2015
Marshall: 11-21 (7-11) PSR 11-22 (4-12)

RICE: 12-20 (8-10) PSR 7-23 (2-14)

USM: 9-20 (4-14) PSR 29-7 (13-3)*vacated

12/14 schools have changed coaches in the past five years.

All schools who changed coaches due to lack of performance increased their win total from one year to the next. The schools who lost their coach to a better program did regress the following season. I think Coach Terry will increase our conference record to .500 or one or two games above. Depending on how easy Senter sets up his ooc schedule we might see a team a few wins shy of 20.

15 wins, this is a pretty big rebuild. I don't expect miracles. I expect us to be competing for a conference championship in year three.

I expect 7-8 conference wins. I hope for more. Too many uncertainties at this point. Next year may be semi rough also, although I do expect an upward trajectory over the next few years.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It's kind of early to tell, but I think that it will be more than 13.
Reason the recruits will be pumped and who knows if he brings
some talented players.

Go miners..

Reactions: mikesarabia
Impossible to say right now with no idea who's returning and who's coming in?
Agreed.

If UTEP is going have anything of a turnaround next year, Terry needs at minimum two grad transfers who can either score, or rebound at a very high production level. And/or JUCO transfers who can provide immediate and consistent production.

I think we all gotta give Terry two recruiting cycles to have any sort of expectation in my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Right now its even unsure if Gilyard returns and if he doesn't we're in need of a transfer PG. I don't feel McGee is ready to take the reigns yet. So if Gilyard doesn't come back, then we need a transfer PG, transfer C and another SG that can light it up. The way I see it, is that we need at least 3 immediate impact players to have an improved year. If not then it might be the same as last year or worse. So with the info we have available now, I'd say 10-15 wins. However if Terry can bring in those 3 impact players then it could take us to 18-22. Right now we just don't know.

Right now its even unsure if Gilyard returns and if he doesn't we're in need of a transfer PG. I don't feel McGee is ready to take the reigns yet. So if Gilyard doesn't come back, then we need a transfer PG, transfer C and another SG that can light it up. The way I see it, is that we need at least 3 immediate impact players to have an improved year. If not then it might be the same as last year or worse. So with the info we have available now, I'd say 10-15 wins. However if Terry can bring in those 3 impact players then it could take us to 18-22. Right now we just don't know.
I agree. And hopefuly those impact guys can really defend as well. With Harris graduating; our best, and arguably only, adequate defender is gone. Terry has his work cut out for him, but he still has a little time to try to put something together late.

I'm hoping for 16 - 15. That's my version of realistic. We'll see and hope for better than we expect. Go Miners.

How do you guys think Coach Terry will do in his first season at UTEP. I did a little bit of research on how other rookie CUSA coaches performed. I’m mainly focusing on the conference record. Since the OOC record can be patted up with easy d2 teams or runs in one of the C-tournaments.

2018-2019 Season
UTEP: TBD. PSR 11-20 (6-12)

Charlotte: TBD. PSR 6-23 (2-16)

FAU: TBD. PSR 12-19 (6-12)

MTSU: TBD PSR 25-8 (16-2)

2017-2018 Season
UNT - 18-17 (8-10) PSR 8-22 (2-16)

RICE - 7-24 (4-14) PSR 23-12 (11-7)

2016-2017
UTSA: 14-19 (8-10) PSR 5-27 (3-15)

UAB: 17-16 (9-9) PSR 26-7 (16-2)

WKU: 15-16 (9-9) PSR 18-16 (8-10)

2015-2016
La Tech: 23-10 (12-6) PSR 27-9 (15-3)

2014-2015
Marshall: 11-21 (7-11) PSR 11-22 (4-12)

RICE: 12-20 (8-10) PSR 7-23 (2-14)

USM: 9-20 (4-14) PSR 29-7 (13-3)*vacated

12/14 schools have changed coaches in the past five years.

All schools who changed coaches due to lack of performance increased their win total from one year to the next. The schools who lost their coach to a better program did regress the following season. I think Coach Terry will increase our conference record to .500 or one or two games above. Depending on how easy Senter sets up his ooc schedule we might see a team a few wins shy of 20.
You've heard the old saying, "Program, Program get your programs here. Can't tell the players without a program". How about...
"Players, Players, get the players here. Can't tell the program without the players".
Tell me who the players are and then I'll make a prediction.

Using the other three Texas schools as examples of universities who have hired New basketball HC I have a little bit higher expectations.

Sure we’ve been bad for two years but when you compare that to the overall and recent history of those three Texas teams the number don’t add up. How can those historically bad programs progress at a much faster rate than us?

RICE had gone through a two year period where they finished 12-49 and only won 3 conference games. In his first year Rhoades matched their win total and almost tripled their conference wins of the two previous years combined.

UTSA had a four year streak of not finishing with a winning record. Two years after taking over a five win program Henson has led UTSA to its second 20 win season in the past 26 years and their second postseason win in their history.

UNT had gone through six straight losing seasons. One year after taking over an 8 win team McCasland has led them to 18 wins and the CBI finals. Keep in mind UNT has never won an NCAA tournament game. Prior to this year they had never even won a post season game.

I’m not sure why some think it’s going to take us longer than them to see improvement. Given that we have better facilities, better coaching, better fan support, better basketball budget, better history, better everything.

It is easier to get from 2-3 wins to 8 than it is to get from 6 wins to 12 but I don’t see any way in which we don’t get at least 9 conference wins. If he has an ooc similar to the one Floyd had last year with all those winnable home games then we should go into conference with a 7-5, 8-4 type of record. Throw in another 9-10 wins in conference and we are right under 20. Go play in one of the C tournaments and we might hit over 20.

Using the other three Texas schools as examples of universities who have hired New basketball HC I have a little bit higher expectations.

Sure we’ve been bad for two years but when you compare that to the overall and recent history of those three Texas teams the number don’t add up. How can those historically bad programs progress at a much faster rate than us?

RICE had gone through a two year period where they finished 12-49 and only won 3 conference games. In his first year Rhoades matched their win total and almost tripled their conference wins of the two previous years combined.

UTSA had a four year streak of not finishing with a winning record. Two years after taking over a five win program Henson has led UTSA to its second 20 win season in the past 26 years and their second postseason win in their history.

UNT had gone through six straight losing seasons. One year after taking over an 8 win team McCasland has led them to 18 wins and the CBI finals. Keep in mind UNT has never won an NCAA tournament game. Prior to this year they had never even won a post season game.

I’m not sure why some think it’s going to take us longer than them to see improvement. Given that we have better facilities, better coaching, better fan support, better basketball budget, better history, better everything.

It is easier to get from 2-3 wins to 8 than it is to get from 6 wins to 12 but I don’t see any way in which we don’t get at least 9 conference wins. If he has an ooc similar to the one Floyd had last year with all those winnable home games then we should go into conference with a 7-5, 8-4 type of record. Throw in another 9-10 wins in conference and we are right under 20. Go play in one of the C tournaments and we might hit over 20.
Excellent points bro...

I'm one of those in the doubting gallery, very weary for a quick turnaround under Terry, and only because we are in a bad spot roster and talent wise that I never thought would happen under Tim Floyd. No depth, no impact players, no identity, no impact signees locked in for next year. We are gonna next start season with a sub 300 RPI, and hell....we just might win 15-16 games because I doubt Terry schedules-up this coming season.

All those fellow Texas schools you mentioned, those coaches were able to grab major talent who provided that lightning in a bottle, thus creating a major identity those teams could hang their hats on.

Marcus Evans and Egor at Rice, Henson has the Jackson kid and the other freshmen who torched us in the tourney, UNT had Woolridge who is a stud.

Facilities, history, fan support don't mean sh*t to me unless you can't grab two impact players in our current situation.

Other than Gilyard, we have a roster of average (at best some night) players lacking scoring, athleticism, and toughness. Gilyard was the only player other than Omega or Frazier who could take over a game, Magee is a year or two away, Osborne is not the answer, Wade and Smith have the highest potential to break out next year, and Paul Thomas is the worst four star prospect I've ever seen.

That's hard to re-build overnight with a roster basically bare of proven talent, unless Terry strikes gold which I'm hopeful we see him make a splash in the transfer market and JUCO recruiting to change my optimisim.

Excellent points bro...

I'm one of those in the doubting gallery, very weary for a quick turnaround under Terry, and only because we are in a bad spot roster and talent wise that I never thought would happen under Tim Floyd. No depth, no impact players, no identity, no impact signees locked in for next year. We are gonna next start season with a sub 300 RPI, and hell....we just might win 15-16 games because I doubt Terry schedules-up this coming season.

All those fellow Texas schools you mentioned, those coaches were able to grab major talent who provided that lightning in a bottle, thus creating a major identity those teams could hang their hats on.

Marcus Evans and Egor at Rice, Henson has the Jackson kid and the other freshmen who torched us in the tourney, UNT had Woolridge who is a stud.

Facilities, history, fan support don't mean sh*t to me unless you can't grab two impact players in our current situation.

Other than Gilyard, we have a roster of average (at best some night) players lacking scoring, athleticism, and toughness. Gilyard was the only player other than Omega or Frazier who could take over a game, Magee is a year or two away, Osborne is not the answer, Wade and Smith have the highest potential to break out next year, and Paul Thomas is the worst four star prospect I've ever seen.

That's hard to re-build overnight with a roster basically bare of proven talent, unless Terry strikes gold which I'm hopeful we see him make a splash in the transfer market and JUCO recruiting to change my optimisim.
Good insight. Opened my eyes to some things I wasn’t aware of. Let’s just say I have absolutely no doubt Terry will recruit those type of impact players the three Texas amigos did.

I've watched bball for a very long time but have never asked or known---- who is actually responsible for scheduling? I have always assumed it was the head coach--- is it the head coach, ad or a combination ?

Wouldn't be surprised to se an OOC game with Tennessee next year or following season with Rick Barnes connection. Anyways I'm curious in the next 30 days or so to see who's staying n who's going and who's coming. At that point ill give m my prediction, which will still be a wild guess.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Need to know which players are transferring out first. If Wade and Osborne stay and improve more over the summer, and CTR can find a decent big man rebounder, they have a chance to a competitive team imo.

25 wins NCAA tournament berth--- it's a what have you done for me lately world---- 1st year or fired!!

Seriously--- it all depends on who comes back and what we get... and what our schedule is.... a lot of factors in play....

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that nobody leaves (including Royster). Terry needs everybody and none of the guys want to sit out right now or miss this opportunity. Terry will breathe new life into these guys and give them a fair shot to shine and show what they can do.

Terry will provide No excuses, No fights, No BS roster moves, No desertions, No junk defenses, No retarded rotations, No reigning in of atleticism and No national negativity. Just a straight forward get after it style thats aggressive on offense and defense. Otherwise get out of my way cause I'm turning this program around attitude. An attitude that will make us proud to be miners.

If Terry can add a 6'10-6'11 rebounding rim runner that can block shots and another perimeter play maker/scorer, then tell us all about it with a media and fan friendly attitude, then a lot of wins is viable. If its too late in the cycle, then Terry can go out and recruit our next full class and show us what he's got.

If Coach Terry can do most of this we will be a force in CUSA real quick. My expectations for Senter and our new coaches are high. Prove me right Coach!!

Need to know which players are transferring out first. If Wade and Osborne stay and improve more over the summer, and CTR can find a decent big man rebounder, they have a chance to a competitive team imo.
I saw somewhere that Osborne is staying, Wade still undecided, and Coach Terry is trying to make contact with Gilyard with no success yet.

I've heard the same. Gilyard jad one of his guys on the coaching staff and now he's gone so Gilyard might follow. Thats unfortunate if so, he was a key piece.

I saw somewhere that Osborne is staying, Wade still undecided, and Coach Terry is trying to make contact with Gilyard with no success yet.
I thought Terry had been trying to get a hold of Gilyard over Spring break, and had been unable to get him then. I assume he has talked to him since then, and Gilyard is back in school. Still haven't heard yet if he plans to transfer.

I've heard the same. Gilyard jad one of his guys on the coaching staff and now he's gone so Gilyard might follow. Thats unfortunate if so, he was a key piece.
I doubt that Gilyard is that kind of person...I mean not to even speak to Terry

I doubt that Gilyard is that kind of person...I mean not to even speak to Terry
Well that's great u feel that way, but up to last week that was a fact! Maybe since he had talked to him, I mean Gilyard was on Vacation do maybe he didn't want to worry about it til he got back. In not saying he is or isn't returning, I'm saying the lack of contact n losing his guy that was a huge reason he came is of concern.

Well that's great u feel that way, but up to last week that was a fact! Maybe since he had talked to him, I mean Gilyard was on Vacation do maybe he didn't want to worry about it til he got back. In not saying he is or isn't returning, I'm saying the lack of contact n losing his guy that was a huge reason he came is of concern.
Yeah I hear ya Natty. Was his guy Braswell?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT