ADVERTISEMENT

Current basketball roster

It's hard to imagine Sibley playing inside. He is really long but lacks the strength to play at the 4. I agree with those who are thinking he's a small forward, big guard type. His length does allow him to help out inside on defensive end, and he has a nice jumper.

Reactions: axingfools1
Been kinda out of the loop last couple of days and trying to absorb the ramifications of our latest signee. I tend to agree with Skeeter. We have to go with our strengths which are obviously speed and quickness which hopefully lead to unrelenting in your face "D", some kind of motion offense with some actual set plays, and maybe some dependable perimeter results for a change.
There's still bunches of ? with the new guys, but it does look encouraging offensively. I particularly anticipate what Giffa and Satterfield can bring and if they are reliable from the perimeter that can only mean bigger and better days for Boum as well.
Coach Joe has so many options to choose from with his rotations he might end up bald like me.

Been kinda out of the loop last couple of days and trying to absorb the ramifications of our latest signee. I tend to agree with Skeeter. We have to go with our strengths which are obviously speed and quickness which hopefully lead to unrelenting in your face "D", some kind of motion offense with some actual set plays, and maybe some dependable perimeter results for a change.
There's still bunches of ? with the new guys, but it does look encouraging offensively. I particularly anticipate what Giffa and Satterfield can bring and if they are reliable from the perimeter that can only mean bigger and better days for Boum as well.
Coach Joe has so many options to choose from with his rotations he might end up bald like me.
Some sort of mix between a full court press and half court trapping that leads to fast breaks and mismatches. Golding probably knows this won't be a good team if it plays in the half court all the time. Tydus needs to be a rim protector and consistently give the miners 10pts 8rbs 2-4 blks per game.

Some sort of mix between a full court press and half court trapping that leads to fast breaks and mismatches. Golding probably knows this won't be a good team if it plays in the half court all the time. Tydus needs to be a rim protector and consistently give the miners 10pts 8rbs 2-4 blks per game.
10/8/2 would be awesome from Tydus, but he can't be the focal point on offense. He has to be the rim defender (unless we find a better one) and a much better defensive rebounder this year.

OK...assuming we've seen the last recruit, how about some thoughts on on who Coach Joe goes with at the outset and who are the key backups?

OK...assuming we've seen the last recruit, how about some thoughts on on who Coach Joe goes with at the outset and who are the key backups?
We definitely need another big, but if we don't I still expect us to be more guard heavy in most of our rotations, especially with the focus on defense. Probably 3 guards, a SF and a center to start.

JB, Giffa
Boum, Agnew
Kennedy, Satterfield
Sibley, Maring
Tydus, Onyema

I would say that initially Boum and Tydus get 30 minutes. JB, Kennedy, Agnew, Satterfield and Sibley get 20-25 minutes. Maring gets 15-20 minutes. Giffa and Onyema may get 10 minutes each. Not sure about White or our walk-ons.

I'm hoping Satterfield and Sibley can bring some scoring while all of our returning guards can contribute more all around.

If we do get another good big then it will cut into Maring's and Onyema's minutes.

Watched it a few times as well and what is impressive is those kids played all out for the coach and team. Terry's teams often played like they were indifferent. I know it was a tourney game with a lot riding on it, but UT played a lot like UTEP did the last few years, they let less talented teams beat them because they let the other team hustle plays, stick around and refused to step on the throat. I hope Golding's teams come with that kind of attitude and energy which I kinda believe they will.

I know it's just clips of some of the practices, but it seems these kids have really bought in and like Coach Golding! I think the key is Bienemy. He showed signs, but didn't put it all together. He's talented enough to be 1st team and avg 15 pts 5 rbs 6 assists and lead this team. Lets see if he Golding brings it out of him. I think sometimes we forget this team has 2 4 stars coming back and one new 4 star coming in and Boum is gonna be one of the top scorers in the conference. There's Talent on this team!

Again!!!
We could have already had the players to get positive results last year, but with no viable coaching in place, it was a dud. Now, with new talent to supplement those coming back and legitimate coaching to formulate a system, we should expect massive improvement. I think Coach Joe said "all " positions are up for grabs, so no guarantees. Competition is in play!

I’m sorry but I disagree with you all… we would not have won any more last year with anyone…. If we have shooters this year…. We will be much improved …. If we don’t it’s going to be hard unless there is drastic improvement on that end….. you can’t shoot the ball as a team the way they did and expect to win…. Yes we had athletes but that won’t win anything.

I’m sorry but I disagree with you all… we would not have won any more last year with anyone…. If we have shooters this year…. We will be much improved …. If we don’t it’s going to be hard unless there is drastic improvement on that end….. you can’t shoot the ball as a team the way they did and expect to win…. Yes we had athletes but that won’t win anything.
Agree. Gotta have the shooters. But, CRT never held anybody accountable. Kennedy nor Bieniemy should have been chunking up 3s…especially at the rate they did. Limit those wasted trips down the floor with some good coaching and team discipline, and the record could have been quite different. Bryson should’ve hung out down low more for some easier buckets and for some rebounding opportunities, however he liked hanging out on the perimeter and jacking up 3s far too often also. Terry let that happen. Bieniemy was a solid scores from mid range. Kennedy was a force when he went to the hoop, which was almost never. Just didn’t use our talent where the talent existed.

From what I know of Golding, I think he would have been 5-7 wins better than Terry with that same talent. All speculation though.

I think we have good shooters. But it seems like under Terry, good shooters had to create a shot for themselves, and that's not easy and is not a way to shoot a good percentage.

I am hoping to see Golding run a motion offense that gets the shooter an open look coming off a pass.

As stated, Terry let the wrong players heave hopeless air balls that were simply turnovers. I think if Saterfield, Sibley and Giffa add to our perimeter game based on their history this has to increase our offensive efficiency. Eliminate the horrible clunkers from "others " and be more selective.

Agree. Gotta have the shooters. But, CRT never held anybody accountable. Kennedy nor Bieniemy should have been chunking up 3s…especially at the rate they did. Limit those wasted trips down the floor with some good coaching and team discipline, and the record could have been quite different. Bryson should’ve hung out down low more for some easier buckets and for some rebounding opportunities, however he liked hanging out on the perimeter and jacking up 3s far too often also. Terry let that happen. Bieniemy was a solid scores from mid range. Kennedy was a force when he went to the hoop, which was almost never. Just didn’t use our talent where the talent existed.

From what I know of Golding, I think he would have been 5-7 wins better than Terry with that same talent. All speculation though.
Agree. The shooting needs to improve, but the loss of Williams inside is significant as well. Right now, I don't see anything close to a true down low threat offensively. Without any ability to play inside out, it will be a challenge for the team to score consistently relying on several guys who shot so poorly last year. Kennedy, Bieniemy, and Agnew missed a ton of wide open shots last year; some of these good looks were due to BW getting double teamed often. Hopefully, some of the new guys, like Satterfield, can help on the perimeter, but we still need help on the inside imo. Looking at a few of the guys he targeted, and missed on, Golding also shares that view.

Last edited:
I think we have good shooters. But it seems like under Terry, good shooters had to create a shot for themselves, and that's not easy and is not a way to shoot a good percentage.

I am hoping to see Golding run a motion offense that gets the shooter an open look coming off a pass.
I would love to see a little pick and roll too with JB and Onyema

If abs win basketball games then we might be pretty good next season!
giphy.gif

JB. Sure hope so. If he could contribute some offense that'd be great. Wonder if Giffa is having trouble getting into the country.

These guys will probably be the 8 man rotation (barring any further signings). My guess is Boum, Agnew, Kennedy, Sibley, and Verhoven will be the starters.

It looks like a ton of offers went out yesterday. This is also a good site for looking at the roster.
Washington looks like he could be pretty darn good. Good handle for his size and gets into the paint pretty well.

Should Golding keep one spot open for a big or is he just assuming that there be transfers after this year? I guess he has too nowadays.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Washington looks like he could be pretty darn good. Good handle for his size and gets into the paint pretty well.

Should Golding keep one spot open for a big or is he just assuming that there be transfers after this year? I guess he has too nowadays.

Are any of those guys 2021 prospects?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT