ADVERTISEMENT

Current basketball roster

Is Z from El Paso??
Former Ex military kid here Fili. “Z” is what they call in Uncle Sam’s Army an “Army Brat”, and it’s meant with affection.

From what I read (social media) and heard from pops on the post game shows, they consider EP home.

Last edited:
So it looks like these are the guys for the 10 deep

PG Givance, Zachary
SG Hardy, McKinney
SF Sibley, Frazier
PF Soloman, Dos Anjos
C Onyema, Kalu
Hardy & Lemus can and probably will both get minutes at the SF spot both are probably stronger and perhaps better defenders than Sibley & or Frazier

Or did you hear that from a coach?

Hardy & Lemus can and probably will both get minutes at the SF spot both are probably stronger and perhaps better defenders than Sibley & or Frazier

Or did you hear that from a coach?
No I didn't hear that from coach. Sibley is a pretty decent rim protector and has good length on the perimeter. Not sure about Hardy and Lemus playing the 3 nor do I see why they would have to.

Even though the bulk of his minutes will most likely come at the 3, this is the 2nd time I’ve read that Sibley is gonna get some time at the 2. Interesting.

Reactions: develman
No I didn't hear that from coach. Sibley is a pretty decent rim protector and has good length on the perimeter. Not sure about Hardy and Lemus playing the 3 nor do I see why they would have to.
I agree on Hardy or Lemus at the 3 unless they are facing a three guard lineup. They aren't tall enough to defend the majority of SFs, and rebounding will also be an issue. FWIW, I have heard Sibley is still very much a work in progress moving to the 3. Golding has mentioned this as well. I think Frazier is more a natural fit at the 3, but he isn't a great shooter as well. I think the lineup axing mentioned is right on the mark.

Even though the bulk of his minutes will most likely come at the 3, this is the 2nd time I’ve read that Sibley is gonna get some time at the 2. Interesting.
It makes sense, he has a decent 3, taking advantage of his height against a smaller opponent would be good in certain situations.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think Hardy will be a top 5 scorer in C-USA (probably average 15 pts + with multiple games in the 20s). Solomon and Sibley could give us 10/5 each. If Givance could go 15/5 assists that would be great. The X-factor will be the center position and the bench. Our centers can only really score at the rim, so a lot will depend on Givance and Golding. Another 10-15 points from the center position would really help this team. If our starters can get to 60 points consistently then we may have a chance with good defense.

I think Hardy will be a top 5 scorer in C-USA (probably average 15 pts + with multiple games in the 20s). Solomon and Sibley could give us 10/5 each. If Givance could go 15/5 assists that would be great. The X-factor will be the center position and the bench. Our centers can only really score at the rim, so a lot will depend on Givance and Golding. Another 10-15 points from the center position would really help this team. If our starters can get to 60 points consistently then we may have a chance with good defense.
Yep. I'm not sure if I see 10-15 points from Onyema/Kalu; for sure not consistently. Hopefully Kalu has improved significantly because last year he really struggled to finish at the rim, plus he showed zero post moves. Maybe a guy like dos Anjos can provide an offensive spark. The best part of his game is his offensive versatility. Scoring could be a big issue if either Givance or Hardy are off/being well defended.

It's all about the reach though. Just ask Dionte Wilder.

Tyson-Fury-vs-Deontay-Wilder-10.09.21_10_09_2021_Fight_Ryan-Hafey-_-Premier-Boxing-Champions-2-scaled.jpg

Reactions: FedupMiner
Maybe we've discussed this before, but I'm curious how many of you agree with my guess for the starting lineup against Texas. I also wonder who will be our top scorers.
Givance
Hardy
Solomon
Sibley
Onyema
First off the bench:
Dos Anjos
Mc Kinley
Lemus

Reactions: utep2step
I have seen several very impressive videos of Lemus hitting threes and driving the lane over and over. I haven't seen anything on Frazier. Please tell me about him.

I have seen several very impressive videos of Lemus hitting threes and driving the lane over and over. I haven't seen anything on Frazier. Please tell me about him.
Lemus is hurt right now. Frazier is active on offense. Very athletic, attacks the offensive glass and has good size for a guard/wing. He’s a slashing type and plays well without the ball. He’s the guy who has been the most fun to watch the three times I’ve seen them. Then like I said before hardy and givance are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else offensively. Sibley looked solid also.

Lemus is hurt right now. Frazier is active on offense. Very athletic, attacks the offensive glass and has good size for a guard/wing. He’s a slashing type and plays well without the ball. He’s the guy who has been the most fun to watch the three times I’ve seen them. Then like I said before hardy and givance are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else offensively. Sibley

Lemus is hurt right now. Frazier is active on offense. Very athletic, attacks the offensive glass and has good size for a guard/wing. He’s a slashing type and plays well without the ball. He’s the guy who has been the most fun to watch the three times I’ve seen them. Then like I said before hardy and givance are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else offensively. Sibley looked solid also.
Is your praise for him based on seeing him during practices? I haven't been that fortunate to go watch any practice sessions. All I have is videos and couldn't find any for him.

El Paso, a second home for UTEP basketball guard
UTEP+basketball+guard+Shamar+Givance+learned+basketball+from+watching+his+dad+and+cousin+play+when+he+was+young.+

Annabella Mireles
UTEP basketball guard Shamar Givance learned basketball from watching his dad and cousin play when he was young.

Angelica Gutierrez, Contributor
November 1, 2022
UTEP basketball guard Shamar Givance, has been playing basketball since he was five years old. He is from Toronto, Canada, and has been away from home for six years.
He has been in the U.S. ever since his high school basketball career.
“I miss home a little bit,” Givance said. “But I’m pretty used to it by now.”
Givance is no stranger to El Paso. He had visited the city a couple of times before because he has friends here. He felt like he fit in and fell in love with the community.
Givance is majoring in leadership and is excited to add his business degree to his resume. He believes it is the best fit for him. He is also looking forward to getting a master’s degree.
Because Givance saw his dad and cousin play basketball while growing up, he decided to play that sport too. They are his biggest inspiration, his role models.
Givance mentions that his biggest achievements so far are being a Missouri Valley All-Conference player and beating the number one team in basketball, Kentucky.
Coach Joe Golding went all the way to Canada to meet Givance’s family and offer him a position at UTEP’s basketball team. Golding is also the main reason why Givance opted to join the team and come to El Paso.
“I feel like he is a genuine guy,” Givance said. “I wanted to feel a connection and felt like coach Golding was perfect, the right guy.”
One of Givance’s goals is to be part of a winning team, therefore he joined UTEP’s team.
Since he knows people from the city, they told him about the basketball program at the university, so he believed it was the perfect fit for him.
“I just want to have the accomplishments of winning a conference title and going to the tournament,” Givance said.
Coach Golding and Assistant Coach Earl Boykins have helped Givance improve his basketball skills. He has been learning tips from them to add to his everyday routine and strives toward his ideal of what makes a great player.
“A great player is a great leader, somebody who gets everybody involved,” Givance said.
When it comes to basketball games, Givance takes advantage of his speed to get to his spots and be faster than everybody in the game.
The UTEP basketball team feels like a great family to Givance.
He loves all of them, from the players to the coaches and managers.
“Our goal is to be the best in the conference, just fight every night and win every game possible,” Givance said. “We want to prove everybody wrong.”
Givance encourages the UTEP community to support the basketball team and attend as many games as possible.
The men’s basketball season tips off at 7 p.m., Nov. 7, at Moody Center against the Texas Longhorns.
For more information on dates and ticketing visit utepminers.com.
Angelica Gutierrez is a contributor and may be reached at agutierrez89@miners.utep.edu

https://www.theprospectordaily.com/2022/11/01/el-paso-a-second-home-for-utep-basketball-guard/

Well we are a 3rd of the way in and about to start conference. I know we haven't been completely healthy, but I think we've seen enough to make an early assessment.

I think most of us were worried about scoring, but what is up with our defense and what is up with Sibley?

If I'm Golding I can see that we are athletic and our bigs are strong finishers, but we can't shoot or make free throws. Our bigs are out of position on defense and are struggling to defensive rebound. Sibley is not a SF yet. Zachary, Lemus and Hamilton are not going to help much at this time. Frazier and McKinney can play and Solomon is struggling to be an impact player.

So what does Golding do now?

1. Move Sibley back the 4. He is our best shot blocker and can stretch the 4.
2. Simply our defense. We are athletic. Play man to man, pressing man to man or maybe some zone. Keep our bigs in position and let them defend the rim and rebound.
3. Run on offense, drive, attack the rim and get the bigs some easy plays so they can finish.
4. Get some confidence and momentum back.
5. Get some help recruiting.

Maybe go with Kalu, Sibley, Frazier, Hardy and Givance. Let Z and McKinney come off the bench.

I would fold my hand and get new cards. Let everyone go and try for new transfers next season. Maybe they can get better players. Go out and get some bigs.

Golding must be hard at work. All is silent on the transfer/recruiting front. Right now we are at a full 13.

Guards:
Hardy, Zachery, Lemus, Sumlin, Terrell and Horton

Forwards:
Solomon, Frazier, Dos Anjos, Jones

Centers:
Onyema, Kalu, Hamilton

Golding must be hard at work. All is silent on the transfer/recruiting front. Right now we are at a full 13.

Guards:
Hardy, Zachery, Lemus, Sumlin, Terrell and Horton

Forwards:
Solomon, Frazier, Dos Anjos, Jones

Centers:
Onyema, Kalu, Hamilton
Zachery took two LOAs during the season. I can’t imagine he’ll be back.

Would be ok if Lemus, Dos Anjos, and since he just rides pine, Hamilton all made way for some upgrades.

Zachery took two LOAs during the season. I can’t imagine he’ll be back.

Would be ok if Lemus, Dos Anjos, and since he just rides pine, Hamilton all made way for some upgrades.
I think Dos Anjos stays. I'm ok with Lemus and Hamilton heading out (no need for 3 centers in the same class). I think Zachary has to stay as backup based on recruiting/new player capability.

We still need at least 2 tops guards and a young big IMO.

I read that UTSA lost 10 of 14
Real surprised their coach remains
Yep. Campos is going to let Henson coach out his contract next year, avoiding a buyout. Football is the priority.

On a related note, I saw John Buggs entered the portal as well. Golding should try to go after him. We use that Lee Moore comparison probably too often, but he kind of reminds me of him offensively.

Coach Haskins recruited kids who were mentally and physically tough. Guys who wanted to prove something to somebody. Who wouldn't back down from a challenge. I think this year's team was missing some of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT