ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA BB Tournament: OPT and Games Thread

Golding should be on the hot seat next season and even a mid table finish should not save his job. Top 4 or bust for him next year and even that should be generous given the change in conference composition.

He has so much work to do with both this roster and coaching staff that I'm not sure he'll be up to it.

Golding should be on the hot seat next season and even a mid table finish should not save his job. Top 4 or bust for him next year and even that should be generous given the change in conference composition.

He has so much work to do with both this roster and coaching staff that I'm not sure he'll be up to it.
Problem is CUSA actually looks decent in hoops. Maybe our chances improve just based on there being fewer teams, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915

I’ve been a CJG supporter since before his hiring, but even I think he needs to win CUSA or the CUSA tourney to validate keeping his job.

All the fire Golding cries will fall on deaf ears. Wasting your breath. He will be here next year whether you like it or not. He’ll need a miracle or two next year for things to pan out, though.

Problem is CUSA actually looks decent in hoops. Maybe our chances improve just based on there being fewer teams, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

No doubt but it will be weaker than the current makeup.

Senter should immediately be fired (if he's not this yr) if any of the new schools, esp nmsu, finish above us in any revenue sport.

No doubt but it will be weaker than the current makeup.

Senter should immediately be fired (if he's not this yr) if any of the new schools, esp nmsu, finish above us in any revenue sport.
No one is getting fired this year.

Ok, then let’s hear your short list of replacements, timing, and funding plan.
I don’t know all the assistants in college basketball. There’s certainly a number of qualified individuals out there.

You know who won’t be funding UTEP next year? Um, fans.

Cut your losses now or watch it get to where getting 4,000 to a game is considered a “good crowd”. It will be here soon!

I don’t know all the assistants in college basketball. There’s certainly a number of qualified individuals out there.

Cut your losses now or watch it get to where getting 4,000 to a game is considered a “good crowd”. It will be here soon!
I don’t consider my support a loss. Just doing my part.

It’s a crap shoot. Some get lucky, others don’t. Too many variables to say who will work out. I don’t think Golding’s replacement, when that time comes, will necessarily do any better.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It’s a crap shoot. Some get lucky, others don’t. Too many variables to say who will work out. I don’t think Golding’s replacement, when that time comes, will necessarily do any better.
Uh, what? So if Golding’s replacement is going to be trash too, why does the school choose to overpay for coaches? If we’re destined to suck, why not pay some jerk 300k and be happy with 14-18 seasons?

No one is getting fired this year.
Yes, because it’s UTEP. I hope I am wrong about Bronzeing, but his current recruiting doesn’t fill me with confidence. We will be marginally better or worse next year. Hopefully NMSU doesn’t beat UTEP or have a better season next year.

Uh, what? So if Golding’s replacement is going to be trash too, why does the school choose to overpay for coaches? If we’re destined to suck, why not pay some jerk 300k and be happy with 14-18 seasons?
You’ve never heard me defend the pay of our coaches. Pay really doesn’t have much to do with whether a coach is good…is gonna pay off. Obviously.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yes, because it’s UTEP. I hope I am wrong about Bronzeing, but his current recruiting doesn’t fill me with confidence. We will be marginally better or worse next year. Hopefully NMSU doesn’t beat UTEP or have a better season next year.
Your opinion is worth a cup of shit. You don’t spend a penny on UTEP athletics, and never will.

You’ve never heard me defend the pay of our coaches. Pay really doesn’t have much to do with whether a coach is good…is gonna pay off. Obviously.
Yeahc but pay aside, you’re relegating his replacement to mediocrity. If Loyola Chicago can make the Final 4, and SJSU can finish in the upper half of the MWC, and St Peter’s can make the Elite 8, UTEP can contend for their conference championship, every once in awhile.

Nobody here is expecting Gonzaga type domination. There’s no excuse for UTEP to be as bad as it is. Our opponents keep getting worse, but still kick our ass.

Yeahc but pay aside, you’re relegating his replacement to mediocrity. If Loyola Chicago can make the Final 4, and SJSU can finish in the upper half of the MWC, and St Peter’s can make the Elite 8, UTEP can contend for their conference championship, every once in awhile.

Nobody here is expecting Gonzaga type domination. There’s no excuse for UTEP to be as bad as it is. Our opponents keep getting worse, but still kick our ass.
You, for all your strong points, always bring up the exception, the outlier. Yes, UTEP could get lucky and pull off a Loyola Chicago, a Saint Peters. It just isn’t very likely at all. Again, for all the those schools, there’s 360+ teams a year for whom the stars don’t align.

And your latest schtick is to bring up San Jose St. You would NOT be content with those results. Be real.

And trust me, you’re not alone in wanting utep to achieve what you speak of. Talk doesn’t get it there though.

Let's not derail the thread with personal attacks. UTEP sucks and it's affecting even the most committed fans.

My dad and I were at the last basketball game and the average age of the fans was easily in the 50s. That's hard to ignore.

He's in his 70s and I'm in my 40s. I imagine most of us on this board fall between that age range, which does not bode well for our program.

Let's not derail the thread with personal attacks. UTEP sucks and it's affecting even the most committed fans.

My dad and I were at the last basketball game and the average age of the fans was easily in the 50s. That's hard to ignore.

He's in his 70s and I'm in my 40s. I imagine most of us on this board fall between that age range, which does not bode well for our program.
Brilliant insight.

Exactly. I don't get why some people have to attack others when we all want the same thing. It doesn't matter if you buy one ticket a year or have season tickets. Unless you're donating millions, then buying one ticket or having season tickets is just a drop in the bucket.

You, for all your strong points, always bring up the exception, the outlier. Yes, UTEP could get lucky and pull off a Loyola Chicago, a Saint Peters. It just isn’t very likely at all. Again, for all the those schools, there’s 360+ teams a year for whom the stars don’t align.

And your latest schtick is to bring up San Jose St. You would NOT be content with those results. Be real.

And trust me, you’re not alone in wanting utep to achieve what you speak of. Talk doesn’t get it there though.
Yes, those are outliers, but just showing that a school like that can have a great season and beat big schools. It’s been 32 years now, that UTEP has won a game.

San Jose St is proof, you can rebuild a program quickly. If I were a SJSU fan, I would be thrilled with those results. If UTEP were in the MWC and finished 5th this year, I would be thrilled too. But we didn’t. We finished next to last in a conference that is so poor compared to the MWC. That is unacceptable here. That is celebrated over there.

Exactly. I don't get why some people have to attack others when we all want the same thing. It doesn't matter if you buy one ticket a year or have season tickets. Unless you're donating millions, then buying one ticket or having season tickets is just a drop in the bucket.
Bullshit

That’s what he does. Tries to prove he’s “better than you” or your opinion is less valid because he’s been a STH for 20 years or whatever. He’s a “real fan” lol

That’s what he does. Tries to prove he’s “better than you” or your opinion is less valid because he’s been a STH for 20 years or whatever. He’s a “real fan” lol

This is why I don't post a lot on forums. There always has to be that one guy.

Yes, those are outliers, but just showing that a school like that can have a great season and beat big schools. It’s been 32 years now, that UTEP has won a game.

San Jose St is proof, you can rebuild a program quickly. If I were a SJSU fan, I would be thrilled with those results. If UTEP were in the MWC and finished 5th this year, I would be thrilled too. But we didn’t. We finished next to last in a conference that is so poor compared to the MWC. That is unacceptable here. That is celebrated over there.
You repeat what everyone already knows. You think you speak for fans. In reality, you’re a tightwad troll that gets off on UTEP failure.

Reactions: Vegasminer
You repeat what everyone already knows. You think you speak for fans. In reality, you’re a tightwad troll that gets off on UTEP failure.
I do speak for a lot of fans. The 8,000 that have abandoned the basketball team and the 20,000 that have abandoned the football team.

I am not a tightwad or a troll, nor do I get off on UTEP failure. You take this shit too personally man. Maybe it’s time you take a look in the mirror and ask yourself if it’s worth it?

Reactions: EPUTEP
Damn, I really feel bad for some people if UTEP athletics is all they have in their life.
That’s great there’s fans like him. Senter treats him like a sucker year in and year out. Knowing he will cut him a check for a couple grand. So he can feel better about himself and “prove” his superior fandom over “NoWins”.

• Haha
Reactions: EPUTEP
That’s great there’s fans like him. Senter treats him like a sucker year in and year out. Knowing he will cut him a check for a couple grand. So he can feel better about himself and “prove” his superior fandom over “NoWins”.

I'm sure that Joe Golding autographed basketball is his most prized possession.

I’m well aware and I would bet money that fact is as painful for most people on here as it is for you and/or me. It sux!!

I don’t have much confidence that utep will pull itself out of the gutter. I just have this gut feeling that this program is buried. And I don’t think the next shiny coach will dig us out.

I don’t like to be wrong, but I sure as hell hope I am.

I’m well aware and I would bet money that fact is as painful for most people on here as it is for you and/or me. It sux!!

I don’t have much confidence that utep will pull itself out of the gutter. I just have this gut feeling that this program is buried. And I don’t think the next shiny coach will dig us out.

I don’t like to be wrong, but I sure as hell hope I am.
Unless we get probation or something, I really don’t see UTEP being the Air Force or Vanderbilt of CUSA. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT