ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA is Again a One Bid League

old dominian WAS a top 25 team before conference play. There was a reason why they lost 5 games in CUSA. this league is not as bad a perceived. sometimes lack of a reputation hurts. in this case, biased premediated decisions about this conference did us in before league play even started.

I thought indiana was the worst pick, they has no business making the field. They not only got in they got in safely.

CUSA is not going to get any better any time soon. This is a one AND done bid league.
Hope UAB at #14 can carry the banner proudly at least for one game.

We've got to get out of this place, but nowhere to go!!

Originally posted by Free State Miner:
CUSA is not going to get any better any time soon. This is a one AND done bid league.
Hope UAB at #14 can carry the banner proudly at least for one game.

We've got to get out of this place, but nowhere to go!!
The problem is- even if the Mountain West lets us in, UTEP wouldn't be able to keep up.

But an up and coming assistant (your words) could make things happen for the improvement of this basketball team to the Big Dance? Pick a lane, Mr. Positive.

Should you choose a new moniker - consider: the great(not really) equivocator.

Why did you even start this thread - we all already knew this once ODU lost early in the tournament - you just always need to be posting something????? What's your next thread "UTEP lost in CUSA tournament semis"???

Truth is, the NCAA is a joke. It has everything to do with money and ratings, and very little to do with talent and RPI. In an equivocal universe, while UTEP may have not earned an NCAA spot, Colorado and Temple did. UCLA should not have. I am proud to be in the NIT with these stats. Frankly, I am thrilled that we are playing at all.

Wzi.

Originally posted by wziminer:

Truth is, the NCAA is a joke. It has everything to do with money and ratings, and very little to do with talent and RPI. In an equivocal universe, while UTEP may have not earned an NCAA spot, Colorado and Temple did. UCLA should not have. I am proud to be in the NIT with these stats. Frankly, I am thrilled that we are playing at all.

Wzi.
NCAA wants all the cartel conference schools to be in the NCAA tournment, thats why when they expanded the field it was a joke. EPChi stop watching so much sportscenter its corrupting your mind. They have you brain washed in thinking everybody sucks that is not in the cartel conference

I do believe that CUSA is a 2 bid or more league. I have lost faith in the NCAA. They are no longer fair arbitrators of BB. They are no longer about college BB. They are about the profit.

Originally posted by wziminer:
I do believe that CUSA is a 2 bid or more league. I have lost faith in the NCAA. They are no longer fair arbitrators of BB. They are no longer about college BB. They are about the profit.
Who else would you have chosen to represent CUSA?

American Athlletic Conference - 2 bids with Temple being the 3rd if Wyoming hadn't pulled the upset in the MW Conference Championship Game.
Mountain West Conference - 3 entries
CUSA - 1 bid (and it's rep doesn't even have 20 wins)

These are two conferences UTEP could/should be a part of rather than being stuck in CUSA/Sun Belt. Sucks being in a 1 bid conference. This has implications for money from tournament entries, to prestige, to recruits, to season ticket sales, to TV exposure, to respectability. We have GOT to get out of this conference! Bob Stull, what have you been doing to get us out of here?

The on-Cable TV & on-line exposure UTEP & other CUSA schools received this year has been great. I am grateful to be able to catch the games I could - when I could. If this is the plan for national exposure being promoted in the CUSA - I'm OK with that. IMO, being in the MWC, you lose the portion of the country's viewership in the central & eastern time zones. That's a huge loss in terms of the market.

The Miners played their way out with the losses to Marshall and Southern Miss. we all know. ODU played their way out losing to MTSU. La Tech, played their way out again by not scheduling tough, same as last year. UCLA's inclusion this year was criminal, Texas was a great spin by the committee. March Madness is getting less fun every year.

This post was edited on 3/16 12:50 PM by allminer

I love Texas, but they were 3-13 against Top 50 yeah they played, but lost, Utep was I believe 2-4 I'm not of course saying utep shoulda got in, but 3-13!!!! And by CSU not getting in I was surprised they didn't get in, usually NCAA is all on Mtn West Nut Sack!

Originally posted by alum95and98:
American Athlletic Conference - 2 bids with Temple being the 3rd if Wyoming hadn't pulled the upset in the MW Conference Championship Game.
Mountain West Conference - 3 entries
CUSA - 1 bid (and it's rep doesn't even have 20 wins)

These are two conferences UTEP could/should be a part of rather than being stuck in CUSA/Sun Belt. Sucks being in a 1 bid conference. This has implications for money from tournament entries, to prestige, to recruits, to season ticket sales, to TV exposure, to respectability. We have GOT to get out of this conference! Bob Stull, what have you been doing to get us out of here?
I think if were up to Stull he would be out of CUSA, but I think he's still waiting for the invite.

Honestly Utep needs to continue to schedule strong and win some of those and they'll get in, think about it...
if they beat Arizona and dont lose to Marshall and that Devastating S.Miss game they have no bad losses and 3 rpi top 50 wins I guarantee they woulda got in at 25-7 and woulda had good RPI

Originally posted by nattybry:
Honestly Utep needs to continue to schedule strong and win some of those and they'll get in, think about it...
if they beat Arizona and dont lose to Marshall and that Devastating S.Miss game they have no bad losses and 3 rpi top 50 wins I guarantee they woulda got in at 25-7 and woulda had good RPI
I still dont think we would have got in. Colorado State had an rpi of 28 and didnt get in. Its to the point where i think we need to win 28 games to guarantee an at-large which is nuts. What will continue to hurt us is our conference rpi. You just cant justify giving c-usa multiple bids when we rank 17th in conference rpi.

I say that cause ODU was 1st 4 out. Based on my scenario Utep would have better non conference wins and ODU win and better conf record, so yes I believe they definitely would've

Yes, and Texas was going to fire Barnes if they did not make the NCAA tournament this year. Which has the fans there torn between being happy in making it, and in firing Barnes.
Sure if the Miners beat Washington, S.Miss, Marshall and made it to the championship game they would have had an outside chance of being an at large. But we can say the same thing about UTEP every year. If they won this and won that they might have been in the tourney. The bottom line is that they lost to some very bad teams and do this every year. Instead of making excuses or coming up with great scenarios, maybe they should just win those games so we don't have to do that year after year. They should be able to win their weak conference. Heck, it was a very down year for the mountain west and they got 3 in. And no one is complaining about CSU not making it because they had a decent RPI but no good road wins. I live in MW country and no one here is up in arms about them not making it.

True it's just sad, Utep is always about 3 or 4 chokes away from making it easier n NCAA, Tim Floyd just hasn't been able to get em over that hump to close out the Big Games and not choke against really. Bad teams! Lets see what happens tomorrow

Hey, who can forget the NIT run the Lady Miners gave us last year? Of course, they never left the Don.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT