ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Hankins actually signed with UTEP back in December.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
I am surprised that this has not been mentioned, but I went back and listened to Kappy’s interview with Deion Hankins from Wednesday on the ESPN 600 podcast. Deion Hankins stated in his interview that he actually signed with UTEP during the early signing period back in December and that him and the UTEP coaches kept it a secret. I find this very interesting and it is the opposite of some false “inside information” that was posted on this board at the time, which said that he was going to look at other schools. This would also explain why we never saw his name pop up as taking some official visits to any other schools prior to the late signing period. I think that kickballpro had the best gauge on this entire situation. Anyways, I am not sure what Dimel and Staff truly gained by doing it this way, but it looks like we all stressed for a couple of extra months over nothing. Regardless, at the end of the day I am just happy that he is a Miner.

Recruiting has become a game of dirty tricks, false information and full of characters who do not act in the best interest of the student athlete. Some of them will sabotage a situation if only to "turn" a recruit in another direction. I'm sure Dimel and his staff had their reasons, Hankins was a target for many schools since his sophomore year and who knows the events that swirled around his recruitment.

Hankins made his decision and stuck by his word. For whatever reason, whether we knew or not, this shows his character and that's what I appreciate the most. I hope he has an awesome career.

The important thing is to not frett over kids that don't want to play here.

I am (selfishly) glad that Hankins signed with The Miners, especially since there were bigger offers out there. Still I am a little confused why UTEP and Hankins didn’t announce this back in December. But it’s like you guys have previously stated, there is so much misinformation nowadays that we all have to take everything with an “I’ll believe it when I see it” mentality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT