ADVERTISEMENT

Draft... Time... Where are our Miners going?

So what about next year? Who yalls projections?

After our 14-0 season with a win in the Fiesta Bowl, I am sure that a lot of our guys are going to get looks next year!
But in all seriousness, Will Hernandez appears to be in good shape to get drafted. Alvin Jones and Devin Cockrell should both get decent looks. Not sure if either get drafted, but I think they could both end up with the same interest level as Plinke had this year. Then again, there is still a whole year to go for things to improve/worsen.

I read that Will Hernandez is a hot commodity and a high round draft pick. One on line source stated he has yet to give up a sack and had him as a potential 1st rounder. They stated he has all the tools NFL teams need.

I read that Will Hernandez is a hot commodity and a high round draft pick. One on line source stated he has yet to give up a sack and had him as a potential 1st rounder. They stated he has all the tools NFL teams need.

He's a beast, saw him during Spring practices. Should have came out this year because the class of lineman was so weak.

Texas Draft Tracker

Texas A&M 5
Houston 3
Texas Tech 1
Texas 1
UTEP 1
TCU 1
Baylor 1
SMU 0
UNT 0
UTSA 0
RICE 0
Texas St 0

Nick Usher and Hayden Plinke signed with the Seahawks and Darrin Laufasa with the Bengals. Good luck to all of them.

Aa. Jones will make the team I think and will be used in alot of different ways, he's an offensive weapon that I think the Packers will utilize in different ways. Plinke will also make the Seahawks roster or an NFL roster if he's cut, he's got great hands for a TE and decent speed, his blocking needs to improve to have a long career though. I hope Usher sticks on a team, but it'll be tough. Next year we could have 2 Miners drafted in the top 3 rounds with Hernandez going in 1st or 2nd and Alvin Jones going 2nd to 4th. If Alvin can avoid the injury bug he could be Cusa Defensive played of the year and in the NFL he will be moved to strong Safety and Mike LB.

Aa. Jones will make the team I think and will be used in alot of different ways, he's an offensive weapon that I think the Packers will utilize in different ways. Plinke will also make the Seahawks roster or an NFL roster if he's cut, he's got great hands for a TE and decent speed, his blocking needs to improve to have a long career though. I hope Usher sticks on a team, but it'll be tough. Next year we could have 2 Miners drafted in the top 3 rounds with Hernandez going in 1st or 2nd and Alvin Jones going 2nd to 4th. If Alvin can avoid the injury bug he could be Cusa Defensive played of the year and in the NFL he will be moved to strong Safety and Mike LB.

He's actually quite slow...even for a TE. Evan Engram ran a 4.42, which is blazing for a TE, however most TEs at the combine ran in the 4.5s - 4.7s. HP ran a 4.97.

He's a beast, saw him during Spring practices. Should have came out this year because the class of lineman was so weak.

Why did he come back then? Was it kuglar that told him to come back? It just didnt make sense to me. With Aaron Jones leaving and utep having question marks at QB. What round yall think he would have gone if he came out?

Why did he come back then? Was it kuglar that told him to come back? It just didnt make sense to me. With Aaron Jones leaving and utep having question marks at QB. What round yall think he would have gone if he came out?

I probably read it on here, so take it with a grain of salt...

I read that he was not given a first round grade. That likely played a role in his decision. One more year under his belt and he could definitely secure a first round grade.

Yes, this is the first Kugler Recruit to be drafted. Aaron was also part of Kugler's very first recruiting class.

Surprisingly, Mike Price only signed 1 player during in his 9 Recruiting Classes at UTEP that got drafted(Marcus Thomas).

And incredibly, Gary Nord signed 7 players during his 3 Recruiting Classes at UTEP that got drafted!(Trey Darilek, Adrian Ward, Thomas Howard, Johnnie Lee Higgins, Jordan Palmer, Oniel Cousins, Quintin Demps).

Gary Nord was a fine football coach. Taking the UTEP HC job is a high risk proposition.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Gary Nord was a fine football coach. Taking the UTEP HC job is a high risk proposition.
The offensive style is very different but one can compare Nord's stated 5 yr plan, which helped the next coach quite a bit to Kugler's current plan of building his team thru recruiting mostly freshmen, redshirting most and eventually having quality depth everywhere. Whether it pans out for Kugler or not, that seems to be his process. If you look at the projected 2 deep as of now you will notice that 2018 will have 9 or 10 offensive starters back and 8 or 9 defensive. If those players have talent and if the schemes work, that team will be loaded.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
The offensive style is very different but one can compare Nord's stated 5 yr plan, which helped the next coach quite a bit to Kugler's current plan of building his team thru recruiting mostly freshmen, redshirting most and eventually having quality depth everywhere. Whether it pans out for Kugler or not, that seems to be his process. If you look at the projected 2 deep as of now you will notice that 2018 will have 9 or 10 offensive starters back and 8 or 9 defensive. If those players have talent and if the schemes work, that team will be loaded.

When you project two years out, the only inexperienced groups at this moment would be: Inside LB's and Offensive Guards.

They have been recruiting Inside LB's and also moved Hughes into that role as well. But they will need to develop these new inside LB's this season behind Alvin and Lovilotte.

Surprisingly the projected amount of Guards in line to replace this year's Starters is not as deep at this moment. But I am intrigued by a JC Guard by the name of Eric Golston. He wasn't announced as a part of the Recruiting Class and no official update has been given on him, but he took his visit here and appears to be a signee according to this CBS link:

http://www.utepathletics.com/collegesportslive/?media=547408

When you project two years out, the only inexperienced groups at this moment would be: Inside LB's and Offensive Guards.

They have been recruiting Inside LB's and also moved Hughes into that role as well. But they will need to develop these new inside LB's this season behind Alvin and Lovilotte.

Surprisingly the projected amount of Guards in line to replace this year's Starters is not as deep at this moment. But I am intrigued by a JC Guard by the name of Eric Golston. He wasn't announced as a part of the Recruiting Class and no official update has been given on him, but he took his visit here and appears to be a signee according to this CBS link:

http://www.utepathletics.com/collegesportslive/?media=547408
According to Rivals he signed with Middle Tennessee.

Yes, you are correct. His Twitter has updated to Middle Tennessee as well. So that now makes 3 JC guys that we offered, but signed with Middle Tennessee. They beat us up pretty good in the head-to-head recruiting this year.

Back to the original thought, especially without having Golston, we continue to remain very light on future Guard replacements for Hernandez and Elmendorff, when projecting out to the 2018 season.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT