ADVERTISEMENT

FAU Game thread

Ohhh. Now I understand. Nevermind then.

No, I'm right there with you in not understanding. It's generational mind set shift. It's almost a before Curry and after Curry divide. What makes it even more baffling is the coaches that go along with it. If you have an amazing three point shooting team or player, I get it but otherwise you just pray the shots go in?

No, I'm right there with you in not understanding. It's generational mind set shift. It's almost a before Curry and after Curry divide. What makes it even more baffling is the coaches that go along with it. If you have an amazing three point shooting team or player, I get it but otherwise you just pray the shots go in?
Yep, I would have preferred to attack the basket in that scenario as well, but I also thought Bieniemy got a good look from three. You can't turn down good looks at this level, especially with time running down. Although he has improved some driving to the basket, I don't see it as a real strength to his game. The only other driving option would have been Boum. Either way, it ended up working out in our favor this time around.

Lou Romano said last night that Hollins didn’t tip it in — one of their players did?

Boum - 28 points on well over 50% shooting. 5/8 from deep. Great pestering defense all night long. Had his best game of the season imo.

Tydus - Played within his skill set and showed a little something he hadn't really before. We've seen his little hook, but that under the rim reverse put some points on the board. Thought his defense was solid too.

Agnew - We know he's a solid defender. If we can get that kind of offensive production from him night in and night out, he deserves more minutes.

Z - Despite how few minutes he plays, he ALWAYS brings it and it seems to ignite the team. Love the energy he plays with.

Hollins - Was great to see him get such a clutch basket. Team rallied around him. Kinda gave me chills. Hope this opens things up for him. His numbers don't seem to capture how vital he is to this team, imo.

Saterfield - Despite going for 0 on the stat sheet, he basically took a defender out of the equation and opened the court up for others by hanging out on the perimeter. That's big seeing as how limited of a presence we have inside.

Bieniemy - What can I say? Our floor general. When the 3 wasn't falling, went to the mid range. Still shot nearly 44% from the floor, despite not shooting well from deep.

I know we're not world beaters, but this team has become increasingly fun to watch again. Unlike the past decade, the team HAS shown improvement. We will most likely end the week at 6-3 in conference. The team has found a way to win. Gritty wins. It would be awesome to see us get one of those hard fought wins against an upper tier team...like North Texas next week. Going 1-1 on the road would be ok. Going 0-2 would be difficult to swallow with this momentum. A sweep would be the best thing to happen to this team in a looong time.

Thanks Lou for raining on Hollins parade.
Can you tell if it's true? I've watched it 10 times and can't tell. It looks like Hollins to me. Regardless, without Hollins going up for it, Goldin doesn't tip that ball in for us...if it actually was him.

Lou Romano said last night that Hollins didn’t tip it in — one of their players did?

I think it was Hollins. 10 seconds into this clip. Hollins left hand tips the ball. His right hand is what was most visible real time but it was his left hand that tipped the ball in. Love the camaraderie afterwards. Great job by Colin Deaver to capture this.

Hollins FTW!

Look at Hollins' hand specifically. It is pointing forward towards the basket. FAU big man has his hand straight up. Their big did touch it; however, Hollins knocked it forward towards the basket out of FAU big man's hand. Momentum took the ball to the rim and rolled in.
Poor block out by FAU big. If that happened to us I would be pissed (as I'm sure FAU coach was) especially after they dominated the boards. Mental breakdown.

Poor block out by FAU big. If that happened to us I would be pissed (as I'm sure FAU coach was) especially after they dominated the boards. Mental breakdown.
Would Hollins be able to make that play just a few short months ago? He came to UTEP over weight and not in college ball shape because he thought his college days were done. Not he is lean and in shape.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Would Hollins be able to make that play just a few short months ago? He came to UTEP over weight and not in college ball shape because he thought his college days were done. Not he is lean and in shape.
Very true. All the while, still impressive because it was a 6'6" guy against an agile, in shape 7 footer who had his way against us almost all night.

Very true. All the while, still impressive because it was a 6'6" guy against an agile, in shape 7 footer who had his way against us almost all night.
Yes. As some posted earlier, he earned his scholi Thursday night.

This time UTEP didn't get jipped like the ODU game three years ago.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Goldin flopped trying to get a foul call on that last tip in. He also flopped in a terrible acting job earlier in the game
Yep, and if the 7 footer had just blocked out liked he probably learned in Basketball 101 then maybe FAU could have won in overtime.

That and we all know Hollins is a tremendous leaper 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT