ADVERTISEMENT

FB great speaks out about the portal

We need to be honest with ourselves. Dimel at UTEP may be a good thing (for the long term) due to his deep JUCO ties and his ability to recruit pretty good JUCO players since this is the "new normal".
I think the "new normal" for UTEP is going to be this...a new line up every year. Appears the young players are treating UTEP as a JUCO (almost like minor leagues to the major leagues).

I think the "new normal" for UTEP is going to be this...a new line up every year. Appears the young players are treating UTEP as a JUCO (almost like minor leagues to the major leagues).
Agree. Not just UTEP, but all the mid majors. There will also be transfers dropping down from the Power and Mid Major conferences looking for playing time. It is critical for Dimel to be active in that area as well. Last year, he did bring in Neil from K-State as a plug and play starter, and he needs to continue to look for those types of players. Dimel did mention that he would only go after transfers he was familiar with, and I don't agree with that approach. He needs to bring in the best talent available from all avenues.

Last edited:
“I’m going to keep this short. Transferring has become epidemical. Commit and stay where you commit”…almost word for word.🙂
lets dissect this a little more, just make sure we get it right??

"I’m keep it a buck." : i think this means "To be honest"

"Yhal getting out of hand with this..sit down somewhere.": this is getting out of hand, lets calm down?

lets dissect this a little more, just make sure we get it right??

"I’m keep it a buck." : i think this means "To be honest"

"Yhal getting out of hand with this..sit down somewhere.": this is getting out of hand, lets calm down?
Well, you may be right. I don’t know. I just took a stab at it for funzies.

What is he saying??
I understand we don't understand all the slang of the younger generation, but it's pretty obvious. He's saying transferring is getting out of hand and stay loyal to the school that gave you a chance! Well I added to what he said, but sounds like that was his sentiment. If you in the trenches throwing grenades with your soldiers see it through, I say. I understand some situations, like Cowing, but Smith is obviously just wanting to get out of El Paso and UTEP and seems to think he's better than he is at this point!

Last edited:
You know what would be really interesting is if these kids could actually say why they are transferring. I still don't understand why Smith is leaving.
I don't even know how Smith thinks he's gonna position his self much better. Lateral move to a school that throws more maybe or bigger school that he'll be a back up?

Reactions: shyminer81
I have no problem with anyone doing what they feel is in their best interest. I hope for their sake the grass is greener on the other side because that’s usually not the case. Cowing could very easily find himself competing for playing time and targets at a bigger school when all he had to do was stay at UTEP and he’d get all the touches and yards he could handle. And with Cowing gone Smith was in line to be the man. I wish both the best but time will tell whether they made the right choice.

The portal, NIL deals, athletes using their leverage for “social justice” — these are the times we live in.

Coaches have to do way more than just be good coaches to succeed.

I have no problem with anyone doing what they feel is in their best interest. I hope for their sake the grass is greener on the other side because that’s usually not the case. Cowing could very easily find himself competing for playing time and targets at a bigger school when all he had to do was stay at UTEP and he’d get all the touches and yards he could handle. And with Cowing gone Smith was in line to be the man. I wish both the best but time will tell whether they made the right choice.
BW is playing 21 min and averaging 11.5/4.6 at Tech

3 WRs enter portal. No belief in the coaching staff, scheme, or QB1. Gotta be at least one of these reasons led them to transfer…possibly multiple.

3 WRs enter portal. No belief in the coaching staff, scheme, or QB1. Gotta be at least one of these reasons led them to transfer…possibly multiple.
But if you’re Cowing, you’re getting your numbers and then some. Here at UTEP he was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option on deep passes, is he going to get that treatment at a bigger program? I don’t see how coaching, scheme or QB would be an issue for someone putting up those kinds of numbers because he’s the main beneficiary on offense.

Kentucky and Duke played the cards they were dealt, best, when the one and done rule came about. Then most elite bball schools wanted to cater to the one and done prospects. Someone will figure out how to maximize the transfer portal and a lot of schools will follow that model also. Adapt or die.

Meanwhile at UTEP we still can't figure out the musical chairs game of conference realignment or investing in off the field stuff to attract athletes....

I understand we don't understand all the slang of the younger generation, but it's pretty obvious. He's saying transferring is getting out of hand and stay loyal to the school that gave you a chance! Well I added to what he said, but sounds like that was his sentiment. If you in the trenches throwing grenades with your soldiers see it through, I say. I understand some situations, like Cowing, but Smith is obviously just wanting to get out of El Paso and UTEP and seems to think he's better than he is at this point!

I know it was slang. Demps just trying be a rapper. I think he is a rapper or has his own record label.

But if you’re Cowing, you’re getting your numbers and then some. Here at UTEP he was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option on deep passes, is he going to get that treatment at a bigger program? I don’t see how coaching, scheme or QB would be an issue for someone putting up those kinds of numbers because he’s the main beneficiary on offense.
That isn't the issue for any of the kids that are leaving the program. It's the resources that the football team has at it's disposal.

I think the way you fix this mess is by making a rule that an athlete gets ONE full scholarship. Once they sign their initial LOI, that is the only University that can pay 100%. Each school after that can offer 50% but the receiving still must count that scholarship as 1 of their 85.

I think the way you fix this mess is by making a rule that an athlete gets ONE full scholarship. Once they sign their initial LOI, that is the only University that can pay 100%. Each school after that can offer 50% but the receiving still must count that scholarship as 1 of their 85.
You'd have to first make all scholarships 5 years to play 4. Currently, everyone has to renew their contract with the school on a yearly basis. I don't think many schools are going to agree to committing potentially 5 years to every player. Bad recruiting decisions would absolutely kill the little schools like UTEP.

That isn't the issue for any of the kids that are leaving the program. It's the resources that the football team has at it's disposal.
What are some of the things the football program is lacking that say another G5 like SMU or UTSA offers?

What are some of the things the football program is lacking that say another G5 like SMU or UTSA offers?
Monthly stipend is significantly more. They offer meals three times a day instead of four times a week. They have enough protein shakes and bars to give out to the players on a daily basis. Also, their facilities are significantly better, excluding the football stadium.

The other issue Cromartie-Smith pointed out was the difference in mindset between this generation and his generation. The older guys believed in being loyal to the school that offered them a scholarship. It seems like many of today’s athletes think of themselves only. If you are talented, the scouts will find you regardless of where you play.

The other issue Cromartie-Smith pointed out was the difference in mindset between this generation and his generation. The older guys believed in being loyal to the school that offered them a scholarship. It seems like many of today’s athletes think of themselves only. If you are talented, the scouts will find you regardless of where you play.
That's just typical older generation talk. Every generation thinks the generation that follows them is weaker and more selfish. Facts are, people have always looked out for themselves first from the beginning of time.

Clearly you’ve never seen SMUs campus and facilities. What a shocker
You're full of shit once again. Am I not the one screaming at the top of my lungs that we need to invest in our facilities? I've been attending road games at SMU, UH, UNT, UTSA, RICE for almost a decade. Yes I've seen all the Texas G5 facilities and that's why I argue what I argue. Of course most in El Paso resist change and say they're not needed.

You're full of shit once again. Am I not the one screaming at the top of my lungs that we need to invest in our facilities? I've been attending road games at SMU, UH, UNT, UTSA, RICE for almost a decade. Yes I've seen all the Texas G5 facilities and that's why I argue what I argue. Of course most in El Paso resist change and say they're not needed.
Serious question-Where do you expect that money to come from ? You act like this money grows out of thin air

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT