ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Floyd...

The overall failure to meet the expectations of this team this year falls squarely on Floyd's shoulders. 5 years...no NCAA Tournament appearance. That's unacceptable, especially in such a weak basketball conference.

Sorry but I disagree and think its crazy you guys don't understand the circumstances Floyd has had to deal with

I agree its been five years. Next years team will much less talented. Its time for a new direction. This is a weak conference there is no excuse for no tournament appearances in five years.

PURPLEFIRE.... Not sure I am in the fire him camp, but what exactly has he had to deal with that other coaches here haven't?

Inconsistent guard play is what hurt them the most. Just like some of you had mentioned before. There was no consistent ball handler. Any given night if Harris and Cooper play well they win. They scored 83 points yesterday and today 50. Floyd should have gone and recruited a good JC ball handler that passes well and does not turn the ball over. Not necessarily score but who could take care of the ball, that way Harris could have had time to develop. Just my opinion.

Excellent point,space ace. And as of now we still don't have one.
This post was edited on 3/13 6:06 PM by Lucaminer

Originally posted by PURPLEFIRE:
Sorry but I disagree and think its crazy you guys don't understand the circumstances Floyd has had to deal with
Circumstances? Floyd is the highest paid coach in the history of the program. He has more assistants and and larger recruiting budget than his predecessors. His assistants are the highest paid assistants in cusa. He inherited the best UTEP team in the last twenty years. Its nobodys fault but floyd's that most of his recruits never made it on campus.

Don't waste your time talking about firing Floyd after this utterly disappointing season. And don't waste your breath doing it the next 3 years when the same thing happens ad nauseam. People on here are going to keep making excuses and defending him just like they did for Mike Price and his 7 straight losing seasons.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:

Circumstances? Floyd is the highest paid coach in the history of the program. He has more assistants and and larger recruiting budget than his predecessors. His assistants are the highest paid assistants in cusa. He inherited the best UTEP team in the last twenty years. Its nobodys fault but floyd's that most of his recruits never made it on campus.
Well said Minerforlife. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Floyd seems to be a good recruiter, but he also seems to have a problem keeping some of those recruits....a rather long list, it seems. Nevertheless, just having good players has enabled our team to get a little better every year. But I'm seriously doubting his coaching skills.

This post was edited on 3/13 6:16 PM by MINER63

Originally posted by Metal Mania Joe:
Say what you want but Floyd is an average coach at best. Time for him to move on !
Blasphemy , how dare you call Saint Floyd average , you Heathen .{extreme sarcasm }

Calling it like I see it, CTF can put together a pretty damn good defense. In 5 years, he has yet to put together a good offense. His best O was with Barbee's guys and he even managed to stifle those guys. He is a good, not great, recruiter. A coach has got to actually secure his higher rated recruits to be considered great. The on court demeanor of his teams over the last 5 years suggests some internal issue to me. It's seems like Floyd is desperately trying to hold onto old school mentality and this newer generation isn't buying into it. Without his Earvin Johnson, Marcus Fizer, or his OJ Mayo, TF is just an average coach. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Miners are more than likely in for a long drought when it comes to participating in the big dance, as long as CTF is at the helm. The bigger problem in my estimation, is that CTF isn't going anywhere else any time soon. If he can't win the $$$ games in the CUSA, what other school is going to take a chance on him?

I think that we all have some good points but the reality is that we need a leader on the floor.
Cooper and Julian didn't have the skills to be the leaders we wanted. When we lost McKenzie Moore we lost
our best leader. This young recruits were looking up to the seniors but the seniors didn't know what to do.
I can assure you that we will see a different team next year, I'm referring too leadership. I know the question
is who is going to be our leader. I don't know yet but I think it's going to be Thomas even though he will be a
freshman.
I know that some will disagree with me but that is just my point of view.

GO Miners...

Originally posted by Haskins Fan:

I can assure you that we will see a different team next year, I'm referring too leadership. I know the question
is who is going to be our leader. I don't know yet but I think it's going to be Thomas even though he will be a
freshman.
I know that some will disagree with me but that is just my point of view.

GO Miners...
I wish I could believe you, but every year some people say "next year's recruits will be better". If you think a Freshman is going to be the leader next year, then that really says a lot about this year's team.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:

I think Purple is in that faction that thinks all of CTF problems are Coach Barbee's fault . It's year 5 recruit a f'n ball handler or two with passing skills already you asshat , the only thing Barbee left CTF was a team capable of getting to the tournament and under his reign they didn't and haven't . So cry me a f'n river with Floyd's circumstances , they're all of his own making. He's is where the buck stops .

Originally posted by develman:

I think Purple is in that faction that thinks all of CTF problems are Coach Barbee's fault . It's year 5 recruit a f'n ball handler or two with passing skills already you asshat , the only thing Barbee left CTF was a team capable of getting to the tournament and under his reign they didn't and haven't . So cry me a f'n river with Floyd's circumstances , they're all of his own making. He's is where the buck stops .
He's probably in the same faction that blames Bush for Obama's problems.
laugh.r191677.gif

He is still having to clean up barbees mess and I don't know why no one can seethat? He had to recruit 11 people and people like Washburn Lang and cooper were part of that but not much else came of that...he had to do quantity over quality and starting this next season things will pick up!! He has a good recruiting class coming in with Moore, Thomas and even romine!! If hunter stays I really expect next years team to be better than this years team.... I think now that Floyd only has to recruit 2-3 each year things will really go up!!

^^DUMBEST POST OF THE YEAR^^^

"He had to recruit 11 people and people like Washburn Lang and cooper were part of that but not much else came of that:"

Why do you think "nothing else came of that" recruiting class? Who the hell do you think recruited those players and had the FINAL say? You think they signed to UTEP out of their own volition without any input/say from Floyd? C'mon! We're UTEP. We're not UTSA or UNT that would take those players because they just say "YES." How hard is it to recruit a decent guard that does not suck?! Damn!

I am in the middle. Coach Floyd did not inherit an NCAA team. DC was that team. It's been five years though. We should have been restocked by this season. We should at least have a true point guard on the current roster. It is what it is.

Re: ^^DUMBEST POST OF THE YEAR^^^

You also need to include all the players Floyd has chased away

He is still having to clean up barbees mess and I don't know why no one can seethat? He had to recruit 11 people and people like Washburn Lang and cooper were part of that but not much else came of that...he had to do quantity over quality and starting this next season things will pick up!! He has a good recruiting class coming in with Moore, Thomas and even romine!! If hunter stays I really expect next years team to be better than this years team.... I think now that Floyd only has to recruit 2-3 each year things will really go up!!
One is not still cleaning up someone else's mess after 5 years. Your sir, are blinded by your optimism. Next year...next year...next year...

This post was edited on 3/13 9:17 PM by tbleslie

I noticed one thing watching the Rice -Louisiana game. And that is that both head coaches consulted their assistants much more frequently than Floyd does. Am I wrong about that? The LA Tech coach, especially, consulted with all his assistants after every timeout before talking to the players.

This post was edited on 3/13 9:27 PM by MINER63

Originally posted by MINER63:
I noticed one thing watching the Rice -Louisiana game. And that is that both head coaches consulted their assistants much more frequently than Floyd does. Am I wrong about that that? The LA Tech coach, especially, consulted with all his assistants after every timeout before talking to the players.
You're right. I don't see Floyd consulting with his assistants too often.

Originally posted by MistaBinks:
I am in the middle. Coach Floyd did not inherit an NCAA team. DC was that team. It's been five years though. We should have been restocked by this season. We should at least have a true point guard on the current roster. It is what it is.
You must have forgotten about Culpepper, Stone, Williams and Polk. They were part of a damn good team, without Caracter needless to say, who beat the shit out of Memphis in the regular season. The Miners would have taken 2 from Memphis that year, and made the field of 64 (can't stand to call it the field of 68), if not for an epic meltdown. I won't blame that entirely on Floyd, but he sure as hell played not to lose the last 4 minutes...and wound up with a big ole L. I was very supportive of CTF at that point, and even a few years beyond that, but I remember thinking "Floyd really let that one get away". I honestly hope I'm wrong, but we will see the same old stale offense next year, that bares a strong resemblance to the offense in that movie 'Hoosiers' set in the 50s. It's been that way since Floyd got here.

It's all about the players...and Floyd didn't have the right players. IMO this team was over-rated on the talent scale. With the exception of Hunter - who I think should/will leave after this year - the pickings were slim. After watching the Miners early this season, it was obvious they were missing the prototypical UTEP point guard...and shooting was also suspect. As the season wore on, I was more convinced that this Miner team actually played well, considering their shortcomings. So, was I disappointed? Yes. Surprised? Not really.

Originally posted by tbleslie:

Originally posted by MistaBinks:
You must have forgotten about Culpepper, Stone, Williams and Polk. They were part of a damn good team, without Caracter needless to say, who beat the shit out of Memphis in the regular season. The Miners would have taken 2 from Memphis that year, and made the field of 64 (can't stand to call it the field of 68), if not for an epic meltdown. I won't blame that entirely on Floyd, but he sure as hell played not to lose the last 4 minutes...and wound up with a big ole L. I was very supportive of CTF at that point, and even a few years beyond that, but I remember thinking "Floyd really let that one get away". I honestly hope I'm wrong, but we will see the same old stale offense next year, that bares a strong resemblance to the offense in that movie 'Hoosiers' set in the 50s. It's been that way since Floyd got here.
It's my two cents that Coach Floyd coached up a CBI level team of Culpepper, Stone, Williams, and Polk into an NIT. DC made that group an NCAA team. The rest I agree with you.

MistaBinks... CBI team no way. We were up 12 with 6 minutes to go in the tourney championship game. At home. And we fell apart. That team was more than good enough to play in the ncaa. Even win a game or two. Yes moultrie and dc were gone but we still had a very good team that crumbled. Who knew that would be the high water mark for Floyd's time here?

Clearly his record puts your claim on the trash heap - where it belongs. Tim Floyd is widely regarded as one of the better college coaches in the country with a history of success at every school where he has worked. UTEP is fortunate to have him here. Try to mature as a fan before you shoot off your mouth.

Originally posted by Imaminer:
Clearly his record puts your claim on the trash heap - where it belongs. Tim Floyd is widely regarded as one of the better college coaches in the country with a history of success at every school where he has worked. UTEP is fortunate to have him here. Try to mature as a fan before you shoot off your mouth.
What's Floyd's history of success here? Just wondering.

We're fortunate to go 5 years with 0 postseason wins and 0 trips to the Big Dance? We're fortunate to lose to some of the worst teams in the country? I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.

What's stopping you from going on and on? It has been your habit every time we lose a game, Bob...

Originally posted by topminer:
What's stopping you from going on and on? It has been your habit every time we lose a game, Bob...
Who's Bob?

Don't you realize that most people agree with me? You are in the minority here. I'm here when or lose. When UTEP wins I praise them. When they don't go to the Big Dance for five years in a row and lose to some of the worst teams in the country, something has to change.

This post was edited on 3/14 1:10 AM by El Paso Chihuahuas

I don't think Floyd is a bad coach, but he has alot of turnover with recruits and this past year put too much faith in CJ as PG and should've recruited a JC PG. Omega has shown signs he is go be good, but I think overall Floyd has missed on his Big Time Recruits and this year for all the expectations didn't live up. This is UTEP we expect to be a played Nationally and Floyd said he would make UTEP a Power and 5 years later, not even n a bid. So I'm totn, cause I like Floyd, but what has he really produced in 5 years???

It truly was sad to see this team crumble through out the season. Once again UTEP had no business losing the game against MTSU. Yet, without a true leader, when the going gets tough... the Miners fold.

I personally am not impressed with Floyd at all, hot temper, runs his players off, horrible offense, and the list goes on...

He seems like a hot head that is way too stubborn for his own good.

I am usually up for some post season play, but if not the NIT... Why bother?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT