ADVERTISEMENT

"getting back to that philosophy of establishing the run"-Coach Kugler

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
“We had nine carries by our running backs in our last game. That will never happen again.”
Oh, I believe you Kug. I believe you.
http://texashsfootball.com/utep-kugler-turns-brian-natkin-spark-offense/

Pure+luck+every+morning+i+put+a+_1bb67329f704d0df68cfaa6924713850.jpg

What's Kugler's philosophy on defense? At least on offense we understand what he's trying to do. Why didn't Kugler retain Patterson? Why exactly did he fire Stoker? Why oh why did he hire Mason?

Patterson was making strides but after year 7 El Paso was fed up with Price. Kug keeping Patterson would be the equivalent of Donald Trump asking Hillary to be veep. Kug took the Price tenure a little to personal and it showed when he was hired. Now on year five, thing are actually worse under Kugler. Karma.

Stoker was a gambling defense. High risk, high reward. Kugler specifically stated that this left the db's on a constant one on one island that torched our defense.

Kugler was stinking it up by then too. By then everyone was aware of his leather helmet football mentality but he says he takes responsibility but will not see the light and make the changes within himself. Defenses are now faster than your offense. Linebackers are faster than your rb's but he still insist on Knute Rockne football.

If you look at modern offenses, many have successful run games because they spread out the field or they use a lot of misdirections. None of which Kugler seems willing to do.

Exactly -- Briles and his disciples run versions of the "Power Spread," which opens up running lanes. The run game is essential to this version of the spread offense.

He came to restablish the program. While UTEP plant employees were repairing damages he did clean it up.

Not sure what happened to the great offensive line UTEP was supposed to have (remember it stuggled the last two years)?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT