ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go again. UTEP candidate for MWC?

The same article mentioned Idaho. Idaho is about to become the first program to ever leave D1 FBS and go to FCS. I really doubt the mountain West wants them

CUSA should push to add GCU before Mountain West does. GCU is going to blowup. Add NMSU and GCU.

CUSA should push to add GCU before Mountain West does. GCU is going to blowup. Add NMSU and GCU.

They add nothing. GCU does not play football. NMSU shares the same market with EP.

Imagine you're the commissioner and you go to your media partners asking for money because you're adding Grand Canyon and NMSU. You would be laughed out of the building.

Reactions: MinerJo
They add nothing. GCU does not play football. NMSU shares the same market with EP.

Imagine you're the commissioner and you go to your media partners asking for money because you're adding Grand Canyon and NMSU. You would be laughed out of the building.

GCU is going to add football. I think its a big mistake by Utep not letting NMSU in same conference. The games would mean more if NMSU and they would bring a good Basketball team. Look at schools that share same T.V market. USC ans UCLA, ASU and UA. Most of the Pac 12 schools. UNC and Duke. Its important to have your biggest rivalry in the same conference. Its a no brainer.

GCU voting to stay "for profit" or "non-profit" which should make conference affiliation a big deal. Their property taxes are hurting their bottom line and expansion is tough if they stay for profit. However, I really don't see GCU going anywhere for a long time. Just like people tell ODU supporters when they have "flights of fancy" of ACC Elysian Fields......win something.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...earning-commission-may-decide-soon/361046002/

BTW, for years now Miners fans were saying the same thing about UTSA. The only thing they do well is copy UTEP. They were bowl eligible (in a FBS bowl glut) for Pete sake and no one wanted them!

Reactions: JCorona
GCU is going to add football. I think its a big mistake by Utep not letting NMSU in same conference. The games would mean more if NMSU and they would bring a good Basketball team. Look at schools that share same T.V market.

Where have you heard they're adding football? Please link a link or tweet from a credible source.

UTEP is not keeping out NMSU. NMSU is not in CUSA because their football program was awful, still don't draw, and share the same TV market as UTEP. What is any conference gaining by adding NMSU, when they already have UTEP?

I agree that the games would mean more and you could make it the last game of the season, and schedule different teams out of conference. That doesn't mean that CUSA should add them. Why would ODU and the Floridas want to add another team further out?

UTEP and NMSU are not USC and UCLA and El Paso is not Los Angeles.

Reactions: MinerJo
BTW, for years now Miners fans were saying the same thing about UTSA. The only thing they do well is copy UTEP. They were bowl eligible (in a FBS bowl glut) for Pete sake and no one wanted them!

It did help. The games mean more now and like it or not UTSA is utep new rival.

I wonder if the fan base and boosters would be open to a non football invite to the MWC? Take Hawaii’s spot in everything except football. Maybe with a condition of scheduling 6 or so MWC schools in OOC football games.

Where have you heard they're adding football? Please link a link or tweet from a credible source.

UTEP is not keeping out NMSU. NMSU is not in CUSA because their football program was awful, still don't draw, and share the same TV market as UTEP. What is any conference gaining by adding NMSU, when they already have UTEP?

I agree that the games would mean more and you could make it the last game of the season, and schedule different teams out of conference. That doesn't mean that CUSA should add them. Why would ODU and the Floridas want to add another team further out?

UTEP and NMSU are not USC and UCLA and El Paso is not Los Angeles.

I cant find the link where i read GCU might add football. But i think they will in the future. They own so much land out here and they have the money to support a team. But i dont think CUSA has a chance at GCU. Mountain West will get them unless CUSa trys to add some teams out west.

I think Middle Tennessee or ODU and one of the Florida Schools will be taken by AAC. Then i think CUSA should look to expand west.CUSA should want NMSU because they have a 19,000 seat arena.

I wonder if the fan base and boosters would be open to a non football invite to the MWC? Take Hawaii’s spot in everything except football. Maybe with a condition of scheduling 6 or so MWC schools in OOC football games.

So UTEP would go Independent if football? Don't think they could stay in CUSA as football only.

I cant find the link where i read GCU might add football. But i think they will in the future. They own so much land out here and they have the money to support a team. But i dont think CUSA has a chance at GCU. Mountain West will get them unless CUSa trys to add some teams out west.

I think Middle Tennessee or ODU and one of the Florida Schools will be taken by AAC. Then i think CUSA should look to expand west.CUSA should want NMSU because they have a 19,000 seat arena.
If CUSA is fortunate enough to lose two teams the last thing we want to do is add anyone else.

Reactions: unihom
So UTEP would go Independent if football? Don't think they could stay in CUSA as football only.

I originally was thinking independent w/ some kind of agreement with the MWC to provide X amount of OOC games. I was doing some reading and it seems the MWC wanted WSU pretty bad. They never invited them because WSU has no football. I guess that proves the MWC has no interest in my idea. WSU could have balanced out Hawaii.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Most easily found articles about GCU are about a year old. Most say GCU has no football team and no mention of adding it.[/QU

Its in tweet the OP just posted. It says GCU could add football in the future. And I agree. GCU is moving fast they just built this very nice baseball stadium and they built it fast. The media down here talks about them a lot to. I would think because they are in a large market they wouldnt get any media attention. But i think they get just as much local coverage as Utep does in El Paso.

giphy.gif

I’ll believe UTEP is going to The MWC when I see it.

Mountain West in all sports but football?

It could balance out Hawaii's football-only membership.

Damn hope it’s true, but don’t believe it. Maybe Senter gets this program turned, then there might be a possibility.

Senter said in a radio interview that the schools that get picked for conference realignment are usually schools that are competitive athletically, and pretty much that if UTEP wants out of CUSA they would have to field competitive programs. I can’t imagine any conference would look at UTEP as a viable candidate for expansion with an 0-12 football program and a basketball team that is trending downward. It’s hard to make a case for UTEP.

That is what their fans are spreading all over. The Norfolk sports columnists even have called BS on it and say it is not true and has no merit. Their boosters are pushing, or more wishing, but that's it. Now there are CUSA schools who are planning capital improvements but they are even behind UTEP. ODU is very committed to major upgrades, but the ACC just yawns[crickets chirping]. UCF and USF make more sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT