ADVERTISEMENT

High school of El Paso Walmart shooter cancels football game with Eastwood

If you go through all my posts I don't how many times I've said, 99% of Republicans are good people......then I say but it's inexcusable how they've let Trump and his ilk take over the party. You completely ignore the 99% part.

And again the sensitivity. Okay sorry, you were so traumatized by my generalization where I said 99% are good, but why does this exists in the REPUBLICAN Party. I never said White People, you made that big leap.
Ok I understand you. If I didn't see some of your previous post or try to incorporate that message then I apologize. I would say generalizing that most people of any race, religion, sex or political background are good is fair and accurate.

IMO, it's when we generalize negativity based on race, religion, sex or background that it becomes unfair and inaccurate. This is where we get into trouble.

I also agree you never said white people. You said the "Plano, Plano people, Plano kids, the kid wasn't raised in a vacuum and I have brown and black friends". Which kind of Plano people and kids were you talking about?

BTW the game is back on.

The odd thing is, except for the Eastwood Football program, practically nobody in El Paso even knew we were playing Plano this season. Most of us on this forum browse twitter daily and are pretty tuned in. Until Plano canceled the game, I had no idea they were even playing. Very much a reach and over reaction on Plano’s part.

Just watched the press conference from Plano ISD. The Superintendent sure tried her best to spin control the whole situation, saying it was all about "safety concerns", despite no credible threats ever having been received about the game. She could had just summed it up in three simple words,

"WE F**KED UP!"

And I agree with you MistaBinks. Up until this whole thing became a story, I didn't even know Eastwood was going to play Plano. I don't follow high school football regularly.

Plano Senior High IS NOT the suspect. Plano SHS should and does not have to explain themselves. They made a decision that was credible to me, and while I was born and raised in El Paso, I feel they should've stuck to it.

Playing at the Cowboys’ Ford Center should be fun for the Eastwood kids — better than nothing.

Reactions: develman
So several out of town schools offered to come play in El Paso without hesitation. But Plano didn’t want the El Paso school to go to Plano.

So several out of town schools offered to come play in El Paso without hesitation. But Plano didn’t want the El Paso school to go to Plano.

Oh geeze, please don't tell me it was Mater Dei from California?! That would be huuuuuggeee! They are one of the best programs in the West.

That was my opinion as well. As soon as they canceled, I would have been done with them. That being said, it’s probably pretty hard to find an opponent at this point.

But it did sound like several programs were willing to come to El Paso, so they could have left Plano all alone to look like A-holes. Take a home game vs someone else. That could have been a massive PR move for not only the program but the city as well.

I wonder if Eastwood should have taken the offer to have a team come to EP. Leave Plano with egg on their face.
No, because that would have made YISD & Eastwood with egg on their faces. They come out as the winners here. Even Plano HS wanted to play the game. Everyone rallied around them. Plano ISD administration is the one that looks like crap for how they handled it.

Ok I understand you. If I didn't see some of your previous post or try to incorporate that message then I apologize. I would say generalizing that most people of any race, religion, sex or political background are good is fair and accurate.

IMO, it's when we generalize negativity based on race, religion, sex or background that it becomes unfair and inaccurate. This is where we get into trouble.

I also agree you never said white people. You said the "Plano, Plano people, Plano kids, the kid wasn't raised in a vacuum and I have brown and black friends". Which kind of Plano people and kids were you talking about?

BTW the game is back on.
I like how you read some kids as all the kids.

I don't think it's that nuanced of a point. 65 million people voted for Trump for legit reasons like taxes, size of federal government, whatever. 1 million did because of all the race baiting. It's a part of the coalition.

I wish the other 65 million would have left Trump and the legit deplorables. That's it. But they seem to get their feelings hurt more when someone says, "Charlottesville is terrible, Trumps response to it is terrible, be on our side for a little while and get these people out and then we'll go back to the other stuff" than they are to everything else.

BTW the game is back on.
Okay, so some stories and experiences. My brother runs a construction company in Colorado. They got a job in Kansas during the recession because there was a lack of lucrative work they had to take a lot of rural jobs. The mostly Mexican crew was harrased to the point that the town provided police protection so they could work.

Similarly, a friends dad runs a crew that does road projects. In Arkansas they decided to have a trailer go back and forth with food and supplies between North Texas and Arkansas because the crew was harrased so much.

Again, not everybody, not most, but a little is too much. And it's tolerated (not accepted). People like that should be pariahs, they're not. It's just, "well you know Joe is kind of prick in general". And if people ignore it, say it's not a big deal, not important, then it grows and the idea of what's a reasonable amount of prejudice gets bigger. And it needs to stop because as bad as it is, it can get worse.

And if I could provide a political example. A few days before the first Beto and Cruz debate an off-duty police officer shot a Black guy when he was sitting in his apartment. Beto called for her firing. Cruz jumped at it and said Beto was anti cop. Which he isn't, which I'm not, which 99% of Democrats aren't, and it won Cruz a huge applause. It turns out, she was fired and arrested.

People are so quick to ignore when minorities talk about racism. They say. "Well not me" Okay then, we get it, you're a good guy. 99% of us are. Now let's get Steven Miller out of the White House. Kick Tucker Carlson out of Fox News. And let Trump lose by 30 in 2020. Let's make Conservativism sane again.

Wow. I hope I’m reading it wrong but it really seems like the victims are being portrayed as the aggressors in all of this.

You’re ok with Plano saying they can’t provide safety for their players and that’s why the game is canceled. Safety from what exactly? Did a Mexican drive to Plano from El Paso with the sole purpose of killing people of specific skin color? It’s because they are afraid of people displaying extremists views? What are the extreme left going to do? Display offensive signs that says fu*k trump? Poor Plano people having to possibly be exposed to such hardships.
"**** Trump"? isn't that racist too?

Gald Plano ISD reversed field on this because IMO it made the whole thing worse. It made Plano look like fools full of uncontrollable bigots. And of course, they're not.

Reactions: minermx07
Let's be careful here when and make sure that we distinguish between Plano High and Plano ISD. The Plano ISD superintendent is the one who canceled the game, and then reinstated it in an attempt to wipe the egg off of her face. The below, however, is from the article linked to in the original post:

"Booster clubs from both teams had begun working together for a joint message of “unity and healing”

People associated with both high schools had already been working hard to try to make the game a symbol of healing. Too bad the idiot superintendent had to get in the way.

And I don't understand the sarcasm and you trying to mince my words. I'm calling out everybody to stop generalizing. I think mostly everybody here agrees.
I agree. Rhetoric in this board is over the top. Civility among some is nonexistent

Let's be careful here when and make sure that we distinguish between Plano High and Plano ISD. The Plano ISD superintendent is the one who canceled the game, and then reinstated it in an attempt to wipe the egg off of her face.

It is as you say, Maniac, but most people will not pay attention to the details. They'll simply assume it was the high school that had canceled the game and would have held the high school in contempt because of it. Resumption will focus everyone back on the healing value of playing the game rather than the contempt over the cancelation.

Looking forward to going to the game. It will be difficult but I am going to make it happen. I hope that Eastwood will be able to send the band, cheerleaders and the trooperettes as well as several fan buses to the game. All ticket sales should be donated to the victims fund.

So now all of the "people" in Plano are racist too? Think what you want, but being white I have experienced plenty of racism and stereotyping here in El Paso too. El Paso or Mexicans are not the all mighty safe haven from all that is bad, nor is any race or city. I have been with my Mexican wife to east Texas and further many times without any issues. Your comments are just plain ignorant and only add fuel to the fire. Some of you need to get off your righteous high horse and start practicing what you think you are fighting against.
Wow, I’m late to this party, but you are actually trying to compare Plano to El Paso, seriously?? Now’s not the time to seek white sympathy, bro - whites have got it sooooo bad in ‘Merica. Beyond being called “gringo” and maybe ribbed a bit in El Paso, I’m sure no one has hated on you bc of your race that they wanted to kill you, so shut the **** up!

Wow, I’m late to this party, but you are actually trying to compare Plano to El Paso, seriously?? Now’s not the time to seek white sympathy, bro - whites have got it sooooo bad in ‘Merica. Beyond being called “gringo” and maybe ribbed a bit in El Paso, I’m sure no one has hated on you bc of your race that they wanted to kill you, so shut the **** up!
Sorry you were late to the party. No sympathy needed. Just trying to stop all the hate (from any side).

I think it looks bad on how Plano handled this, but to be honest, I can see why they had their initial reaction. I don't think it was for fear of their players or students, but rather that of people from El Paso. White people from El Paso are in no way the same as white people from other parts of the country, especially areas like east Texas or what we call the south. My grandmother from my Dad's side wouldn't call my mom by her name (Guadalupe), but rather by her middle name pronounced in English (Eloise, Eloisa) not until her later years in life she called her Lupe. I seriously doubt you'll find many white people outside of El Paso singing mariachi songs or yelling at a party pinchi pendejo cabron

Either way you slice it I keep asking myself "What did Plano ISD Super do wrong?". Safety is the upmost concern. I don't see any egg or humiliation. I think she did the wrong thing by allowing it.

Ammosexuals are real, I have some for family. Most are totally harmless and just like the thought of having a powerful weapon in the closet gives this sense of false power. However, to an undeveloped mind of a young twenty something who really believes all this crap and has never been taught how to filter what they read or see on conspiracy sites is now a deadly reality. But hey! 401k's and stock investments are primary and more important than our child's well being. There were cops in the vicinity of the Dayton shooter and he still did a lot of damage. This "A good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun" is total BS because it in itself is a sick cycle carousel.

I realize I'm a minority, but the Plano Super should have stuck her guns (no pun intended).

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Eastwood is taking 5 buses to the game, and that does not include the football team. They are also trying to get together a fan bus and it looks like that will make as well. So in total there will be 8 charter buses going to the game.

Left out of ALL of this is the fact that Eastwood is going to get destroyed in this game
I’m afraid you’re right. This is not a good Eastwood team. I know this game will generate a lot of press coverage, but this Eastwood team can’t compete with a DFW team. The better matchup against Plano this year would have been either Franklin or Americas.

Last edited:
Franklin had a solid win against the top ranked team in New Mexico, Rio Rancho-Cleveland, 36-14.

Reactions: jdubb66
The only outcome of interest to me in this game is to have both schools bring our two communities closer. I think both schools were planning tokens of goodwill to give to each other. It should be one more step in the healing process. It outshines any victory to be had on the field which will most certainly go to Plano.

Is Plano Klan territory? I know Jasper which is 4hrs away , ive heard that area of Texas is ran by the klan.

Is Plano Klan territory? I know Jasper which is 4hrs away , ive heard that area of Texas is ran by the klan.
To be fair, the most racist places aren't Klan country. At worst, 5% of Americans are like Klan, Neo Nazi type racists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT