ADVERTISEMENT

High school of El Paso Walmart shooter cancels football game with Eastwood

Good? Bad? Confusing?
Bad. The reason they give in the article for canceling it:
"After consulting with local law enforcement agencies, Plano ISD administrators felt obligated to prioritize the safety of the participating players, students, families and communities..."

So their stated reason for canceling the game is because they can't guarantee the safety of the players, students, and their families. That's bad, any way you slice it. That is not a good thing.

Also, the game was going to take place in Plano, not El Paso. So it's not like it was going to be a hostile crowd of El Paso locals taking it out on the visitors. So it doesn't make sense to me; I'm not exactly sure what situation they're afraid of. So in that sense, I'd say it's also confusing. Maybe the Plano folks are too ashamed to play an El Paso school and this is just their excuse.

I don't like this move.
The game could have been a great display of solidarity and an example of how sports unites people of all backgrounds.
Also the shooter was 21-years old right? So its been a few years since he was even a student there. I would say this would be a more sensitive game if he was a current student and had been attending Plano.

Bad. The reason they give in the article for canceling it:
"After consulting with local law enforcement agencies, Plano ISD administrators felt obligated to prioritize the safety of the participating players, students, families and communities..."

So their stated reason for canceling the game is because they can't guarantee the safety of the players, students, and their families. That's bad, any way you slice it. That is not a good thing.

Also, the game was going to take place in Plano, not El Paso. So it's not like it was going to be a hostile crowd of El Paso locals taking it out on the visitors. So it doesn't make sense to me; I'm not exactly sure what situation they're afraid of. So in that sense, I'd say it's also confusing. Maybe the Plano folks are too ashamed to play an El Paso school and this is just their excuse.
That statement would be perfectly acceptable and understandable coming from YISD. We always play Mr. Nice City and others take advantage of it.

Reactions: minermx07
I think it is pretty obvious why they did this, this is mainly a P.R. move by Plano. The story of these two teams playing would have a lot of appeal for some potential national news coverage. All of this coverage would remind everyone that the murderer is from their high school(Plano High). Right now they are fine with the nation seeing this is as the "El Paso Massacre", but playing this game would potentially bring national attention to the Plano aspect of this story. They don't want to do anything to remind people that the murderer was actually from their town. They don't want to look like the bad guys in the national coverage of this game. They don't want the embarrassment of reminding everyone that the murderer was from their high school, so they cancelled the game for P.R. reasons. The safety concern is just an excuse.

They should do the right thing and play the game. Don't cancel it for fake reasons simply because the game will remind/re-enforce nationally that they are the home of the killer.

Last edited:
Plano did a really bad thing here. However, it's become a thing the last few years that local teams have faced some really bad racial hostility on the road.

The way things are, I wouldn't put it past some Plano kids making distasteful signs or chants for the game.

Maybe it's for the best. However, if the Plano people had any courage or anything they would've fundraised like hell for us and would've played on our field. T

That kid did not come from a vaccum, he was raised in it. I haven't had a brown or black friend go to deep red country and come back without some kind of horror story.

Plano did a really bad thing here. However, it's become a thing the last few years that local teams have faced some really bad racial hostility on the road.

The way things are, I wouldn't put it past some Plano kids making distasteful signs or chants for the game.

Maybe it's for the best. However, if the Plano people had any courage or anything they would've fundraised like hell for us and would've played on our field. T

That kid did not come from a vaccum, he was raised in it. I haven't had a brown or black friend go to deep red country and come back without some kind of horror story.
So now all of the "people" in Plano are racist too? Think what you want, but being white I have experienced plenty of racism and stereotyping here in El Paso too. El Paso or Mexicans are not the all mighty safe haven from all that is bad, nor is any race or city. I have been with my Mexican wife to east Texas and further many times without any issues. Your comments are just plain ignorant and only add fuel to the fire. Some of you need to get off your righteous high horse and start practicing what you think you are fighting against.

Um, no. I'm fighting against racism, bigotry, hatred, and other very ugly things. I'm not about to start practicing -- or perfecting -- any of that.
I believe you. Me too. You are misunderstanding the statement. The point is that if you are fighting against racism, bigotry and you don't hate, then DON'T practice it. Understand?

I believe you. Me too. You are misunderstanding the statement. The point is that if you are fighting against racism, bigotry and you don't hate, then DON'T practice it. Understand?

Of course, Mr. Fools. I understand. But I will say this: I am NOT a "turn the other cheek" kind of guy. You hate on me, I'm going to hate on you. I will fight fire with fire. I know that many others prefer a gentle approach but I think we are WAY beyond treating racism, bigotry, and hatred with kindness. **** THAT.

Of course, Mr. Fools. I understand. But I will say this: I am NOT a "turn the other cheek" kind of guy. You hate on me, I'm going to hate on you. I will fight fire with fire. I know that many others prefer a gentle approach but I think we are WAY beyond treating racism, bigotry, and hatred with kindness. **** THAT.
Ok glad you understand my comments. I'm sorry you feel that way, but IMO that is not the answer. Now I will have to stay out of your way too.

So now all of the "people" in Plano are racist too? Think what you want, but being white I have experienced plenty of racism and stereotyping here in El Paso too. El Paso or Mexicans are not the all mighty safe haven from all that is bad, nor is any race or city. I have been with my Mexican wife to east Texas and further many times without any issues. Your comments are just plain ignorant and only add fuel to the fire. Some of you need to get off your righteous high horse and start practicing what you think you are fighting against.
Wow. I hope I’m reading it wrong but it really seems like the victims are being portrayed as the aggressors in all of this.

You’re ok with Plano saying they can’t provide safety for their players and that’s why the game is canceled. Safety from what exactly? Did a Mexican drive to Plano from El Paso with the sole purpose of killing people of specific skin color? It’s because they are afraid of people displaying extremists views? What are the extreme left going to do? Display offensive signs that says fu*k trump? Poor Plano people having to possibly be exposed to such hardships.

Tensions are high so I can't fault them. Plano Senior High did nothing wrong. Open carry is now in season and the schools need to assess this new reality given dangerously minded people can carry a gun anywhere in Texas.

This will not be well received in El Paso. It will be perceived as a slight.

As we here know, there’s a sensitivity to this kind of thing that predates the shooting. Sun Bowl teams have at times bashed El Paso (Kiffin/USC) when chosen to play here. It gets old.

Would have been a wonderful gesture for Plano to come here.

Last edited:
We can learn something from Lincoln, who walked through the streets of Richmond with his son two days after the Civil War ended to “bind up the nation’s wounds.”

Wow. I hope I’m reading it wrong but it really seems like the victims are being portrayed as the aggressors in all of this.

You’re ok with Plano saying they can’t provide safety for their players and that’s why the game is canceled. Safety from what exactly? Did a Mexican drive to Plano from El Paso with the sole purpose of killing people of specific skin color? It’s because they are afraid of people displaying extremists views? What are the extreme left going to do? Display offensive signs that says fu*k trump? Poor Plano people having to possibly be exposed to such hardships.
You are reading it wrong. I didn't provide any opinion on why the game was cancelled, nor am I blaming anyone. I am defending against the broad generalization of all the "people" in Plano.

You are reading it wrong. I didn't provide any opinion on why the game was cancelled, nor am I blaming anyone. I am defending against the broad generalization of all the "people" in Plano.
Got it. It would be nice if more people called out the president when he generalized Mexicans by calling us rapist, drug dealers, killers, and who knows what else. Instead a Mexican says “he (the shooter) didn’t grow up in a vacuum” and that classifies us as being a part of the bigotry, racism, and hate. I still don’t understand that way of thinking. Sorry on behalf of all Mexicans for pointing that out. I’ll tell the rest to stay quite and die in peace.

Apparently, Mike Doocy with Fox DFW says District is reconsidering.

Got it. It would be nice if more people called out the president when he generalized Mexicans by calling us rapist, drug dealers, killers, and who knows what else. Instead a Mexican says “he (the shooter) didn’t grow up in a vacuum” and that classifies us as being a part of the bigotry, racism, and hate. I still don’t understand that way of thinking. Sorry on behalf of all Mexicans for pointing that out. I’ll tell the rest to stay quite and die in peace.
And I don't understand the sarcasm and you trying to mince my words. I'm calling out everybody to stop generalizing. I think mostly everybody here agrees.

And I don't understand the sarcasm and you trying to mince my words. I'm calling out everybody to stop generalizing. I think mostly everybody here agrees.
I really am sorry one of us spoke up. Mild sarcasm, maybe, but reality. We should know our humble role in this country.

That’s cool with me about no generalizations I’m glad you’re finally on board.

I find it odd that your position on Plano canceling the game is to focus on the one UTEP poster who made a comment that could be classified as generalization instead of the actual subject.

I really am sorry one of us spoke up. Mild sarcasm, maybe, but reality. We should know our humble role in this country.

That’s cool with me about no generalizations I’m glad you’re finally on board.

I find it odd that your position on Plano canceling the game is to focus on the one UTEP poster who made a comment that could be classified as generalization instead of the actual subject.
That I'm finally in board? Whatever bro. If you are trying to make me look bad by twisting my words or making senseless comments then that's on you.

Regarding the game, I think it should be played and it's a wasted opportunity for both communities to come together if passed up. I'm glad it's being reconsidered.

Ok glad you understand my comments. I'm sorry you feel that way, but IMO that is not the answer. Now I will have to stay out of your way too.

I dunno, Mr. Fools. Why would you feel the need to stay out of my way unless your intent is to hate on me?

That I'm finally in board? Whatever bro. If you are trying to make me look bad by twisting my words or making senseless comments then that's on you.

Regarding the game, I think it should be played and it's a wasted opportunity for both communities to come together if passed up. I'm glad it's being reconsidered.
I’m not looking to pick a fight. A lot of us have been saying how bad thing could turn out by the generalizing remarks against Mexicans the president has made since the campaign trail.

In the end you’re right. Us as a people can’t use the same weapons used against us or we would be completely exterminated. All we can do is kill them with kindness.

I genuinely feel like Eastwood wanted to show the rest of Texas that not all Mexicans are as bad as we are portrayed to be by the president and his followers. We won’t have the opportunity if Plano gets their way.

Reactions: axingfools1
I dunno, Mr. Fools. Why would you feel the need to stay out of my way unless your intent is to hate on me?
Because I can feel the anger in your words. I'm happy to talk and debate with you and share our opinions. I dunno Killer, maybe you might actually like this white guy if we met. Quien sabe!

I’m not looking to pick a fight. A lot of us have been saying how bad thing could turn out by the generalizing remarks against Mexicans the president has made since the campaign trail.

In the end you’re right. Us as a people can’t use the same weapons used against us or we would be completely exterminated. All we can do is kill them with kindness.

I genuinely feel like Eastwood wanted to show the rest of Texas that not all Mexicans are as bad as we are portrayed to be by the president and his followers. We won’t have the opportunity if Plano gets their way.
Well said and I agree.

Because I can feel the anger in your words. I'm happy to talk and debate with you and share our opinions. I dunno Killer, maybe you might actually like this white guy if we met. Quien sabe!

Ah, but there you go again, Mr. Fools. Making it sound as if I dislike white people. Alas, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just not good phrasing in your statement.

I don't dislike any people except racists, bigots, xenophobes, homophobes, misogynists, nazis, fascists, and those in any other hate group. If you are in any of those hate groups, then you're damned right my words are filled with anger and resentment towards you. If you fall outside of those groups then you're one of the good guys and you're a-ok with me.

Ah, but there you go again, Mr. Fools. Making it sound as if I dislike white people. Alas, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just not good phrasing in your statement.

I don't dislike any people except racists, bigots, xenophobes, homophobes, misogynists, nazis, fascists, and those in any other hate group. If you are in any of those hate groups, then you're damned right my words are filled with anger and resentment towards you. If you fall outside of those groups then you're one of the good guys and you're a-ok with me.
Ok good. I hope if we see each other you can tell me apart.

You're sensitive man. If you stood up to Trump or his supporters the way you stand up to me we'd have President Kasich, Rubio, or Cruz. Or he would've resigned after Charlottesville. His poll numbers should be at 10%, but people keep excusing everything that's happening. s#hole countries, some of them are rapists, etc.

And of course I don't hate white people at all. But the 66 million people who voted for Trump enable people like the El Paso shooter, the Garlic Festival Shooter, Pittsburgh Shooter. There's a lot of Mexicans on that list too.

There's Conservatism=Cool even though I though I don't agree, then there's Trumpism=downright evil.

I saw the Republican Debates, everybody was excusing Trump until they were against the ropes. Then they would say the truth for 2 weeks play with the idea of not supporting him and eventually endorse him and and everything about him.

I just know if Liberals had an equivalent I wouldn't half endorse him. Let's say Al Sharpton won in 2004. I'd be emberassed beyond belief and renounce my Dem. Party Registration.

Reactions: develman
You're sensitive man. If you stood up to Trump or his supporters the way you stand up to me we'd have President Kasich, Rubio, or Cruz. Or he would've resigned after Charlottesville. His poll numbers should be at 10%, but people keep excusing everything that's happening. s#hole countries, some of them are rapists, etc.

And of course I don't hate white people at all. But the 66 million people who voted for Trump enable people like the El Paso shooter, the Garlic Festival Shooter, Pittsburgh Shooter. There's a lot of Mexicans on that list too.

There's Conservatism=Cool even though I though I don't agree, then there's Trumpism=downright evil.
Maybe I am, but only because you are trying to pigeonhole me like some other posters. I'm not sure how you think you know anything about me (other than what I mentioned) or who I voted for or how I 'stand up'.

I will tell you though since you mentioned his name. I wanted Kasich to win the primary. He got 4th place. And just in case you don't remember, Cruz won the Texas primary, not Trump. Despite leaning Repulican, I didn't vote for Trump at any time including the presidential election. I don't condone any derogatory comments from Trump nor, do I condone that he allows derogatory comments from his audiences. I didn't go see him when he visited. I'm not sure where you came up with your idea that I don't stand up because you never asked me. There implies the problem. Again, in my opinion, WHEN YOU GENERALIZE YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Maybe I am, but only because you are trying to pigeonhole me like some other posters. I'm not sure how you think you know anything about me (other than what I mentioned) or who I voted for or how I 'stand up'.

I will tell you though since you mentioned his name. I wanted Kasich to win the primary. He got 4th place. And just in case you don't remember, Cruz won the Texas primary, not Trump. Despite leaning Repulican, I didn't vote for Trump at any time including the presidential election. I don't condone any derogatory comments from Trump nor, do I condone that he allows derogatory comments from his audiences. I didn't go see him when he visited. I'm not sure where you came up with your idea that I don't stand up because you never asked me. There implies the problem. Again, in my opinion, WHEN YOU GENERALIZE YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
If you go through all my posts I don't how many times I've said, 99% of Republicans are good people......then I say but it's inexcusable how they've let Trump and his ilk take over the party. You completely ignore the 99% part.

And again the sensitivity. Okay sorry, you were so traumatized by my generalization where I said 99% are good, but why does this exists in the REPUBLICAN Party. I never said White People, you made that big leap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT