ADVERTISEMENT

Hunt Family donates $2 million for UTEP SB renovations

How about use that money for a good football coach. Give him a 2 year 2milliion deal .

Why 3 million??
He signed a 4 year deal worth 750,000 per year guaranteed. All coach contracts are guaranteed because they get fired so often. That's the reason you dont want to get into the habit of always firing your coaches.

Reactions: JCorona
How about use that money for a good football coach. Give him a 2 year 2milliion deal .
No good football coach is going to sign a 2 year , 2 million dollar deal to coach this football program.

Last edited:
Dude it's 5 games into his 1st year of walking in to the Shitter Kugler left and you already wanna Fire Him? Lol

No shit, that would really increase desirability to coach at UTEP. Get to coach up the nation’s worst FBS fb team AND if you can’t get it turned around in the first year (first 5 games if thinking like fili) you’re fired. I can just imagine the line of candidates outside Senter’s door. :rolleyes:

No shit, that would really increase desirability to coach at UTEP. Get to coach up the nation’s worst FBS fb team AND if you can’t get it turned around in the first year (first 5 games if thinking like fili) you’re fired. I can just imagine the line of candidates outside Senter’s door. :rolleyes:
As if there was a line before Dimel was hired? Not saying, Dimel should be fired, of course not. At the same time, there is not much desirability. That wouldn't change much... Until a coach wins at least 1 game... :)

Dude it's 5 games into his 1st year of walking in to the Shitter Kugler left and you already wanna Fire Him? Lol

I never said Dimel should be fired. I said they should put money to use for a football head coach. Put it in savings for just incase Dimel doesnt work out.

Concrete doesn't last forever. There was a reason the ancients used stone (various mortars did exist and Rome even had clay pipe plumbing in their major cities). Just hope the electrical wiring, concrete and supports get fixed.

If someone was incredibly rich and wanted UTEP to win as soon as possible they would have to pony up somewhere between 8.5 and 11 million dollars for a really sought after coach. Why?

500,000 is still owed to Kugler.
3 million is owed to Dimmel.

Thats 3.5 million just paying for the old coaches.

For a new coach, the 2016 baseline for top CUSA and middle AAC and MWC was a little over 1 million. Programs like Houston were paying a little more than 2 million a year.

Reactions: NY/NJminer
I'd like for all the metal benches in the Sun Bowl to be replaced with actual chairs with seat backs and beverage holders in the front, much like Southwest University Park. It may decrease the capacity of the Sun Bowl somewhat, but I'm sure that would be minimal.

Yeah, I think they've looked into the seating. Capacity would be down to the low 40's. I think that's fine. The barrier is cost. A project like that, I'd imagine would cost a few million dollars.

I found the UNLV stadium to be very comfortable. No individual seats but they had a backing. Also, there was room in front of you for people to pass.

I think we should start by first replacing the gold and silver sections to chair backs. That would give people an incentive to buy the pricier seats. Capacity would only drop by maybe 2-3 thousand.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I never said Dimel should be fired. I said they should put money to use for a football head coach. Put it in savings for just incase Dimel doesnt work out.
Ya that will go very well with the Hunt Family. They donate 2 million to build the Hunt Family Sky Lounge and it never gets built because we used their donation for something else. Not using their donation for what it was intended for means no more donations from the Hunt family. Pissing off the Hunt family is not a very smart idea.

Ya that will go very well with the Hunt Family. They donate 2 million to build the Hunt Family Sky Lounge and it never gets built because we used their donation for something else. Not using their donation for what it was intended for means no more donations from the Hunt family. Pissing off the Hunt family is not a very smart idea.

Utep needs money to hire quality coaches. What good is a sky lounge going to be when nobody goes to the games? Utep keeps shopping at the Dollar store for coaches while everyone else is shopping at Whole Foods.

Utep needs money to hire quality coaches. What good is a sky lounge going to be when nobody goes to the games? Utep keeps shopping at the Dollar store for coaches while everyone else is shopping at Whole Foods.

When you donate $2M, you can direct it towards whatever you want.

For being his first year as HC Dimel’s salary is fine for CUSA standards. Wilson started at 700k his first year. Littrell started around 800k. Kiffin around 950k. Clark at 600k. Davis at 900k. So the trend is unproven coaches start around 800k or lower and earn their raise. Proven coaches start at 900k. IMO Holliday and Holtz are underpaid.

75 North TexasSeth Littrell $1,425k $580,000 $4,425,000
79 Texas-San AntonioFrank Wilson $1,100k $185,000 $3,562,500
81 Florida Atlantic Lane Kiffin $1,000k $1,150,000 $2,850,000
84 Florida InternationalButch Davis $945k $550,000 $3,185,626
86 Alabama at BirminghamBill Clark $900k $950,000 $3,847,500
92 Western Kentucky Mike Sanford Jr. $800k $400,000 $1,200,000
93 Middle Tennessee Rick Stockstill $801k $126,142 $6,633,774
95 Marshall Doc Holliday $762k$145,000 $1,951,708
97 Louisiana Tech Skip Holtz $700k $395,000 $2,508,333
98 Texas-El Paso Dana Dimel $700k $741,665 $2,991,667
101 Old Dominion Bobby Wilder $654k$504,895 $1,200,000
104 Charlotte Brad Lambert $625k$120,000 $556,389
111 Southern Mississippi Jay Hopson $500k $870,000 $1,583,333

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I would donate for a coaching fund. Terry already deserves a raise.
Based on what??? I am a huge Terry fan and am very impressed at what he has done this offseason but he does not deserve a raise without coaching a single game yet. He is making very good money and makes more than Floyd made here. That is good enough until he actually does something on the court.

So you want to fire Dimel after 1 season after inheriting a mess, but want to give Terry a raise before he has coached in a game at UTEP??????????????????? umm ok

Based on what??? I am a huge Terry fan and am very impressed at what he has done this offseason but he does not deserve a raise without coaching a single game yet. He is making very good money and makes more than Floyd made here. That is good enough until he actually does something on the court.

So you want to fire Dimel after 1 season after inheriting a mess, but want to give Terry a raise before he has coached in a game at UTEP??????????????????? umm ok

Where did i say i wanted Dimel fired? Terry deserves a raise for his recruiting alone. It is a upgrade over Tim Floyd.

That pretty much says you want Dimel fired. Recruiting looks good on paper, it doesn't mean squat when his players are yet to play a single game.. Performance on the court will dictate whether or not he deserves a raise.

That pretty much says you want Dimel fired. Recruiting looks good on paper, it doesn't mean squat when his players are yet to play a single game.. Performance on the court will dictate whether or not he deserves a raise.
In 2012 UTEP had a top 10 recruiting class in the nation. Hamilton never showed up. Hunter left early. Who knows whatever happened to Sphight and Jacob Thomas. The only player to graduate in a UTEP uniform from the class was Flaggert.

In 2015 Tim Floyd had a top 15 recruiting class. Lee Moore left early, Mcswiggan Transfered, Romnie Transfered. The only player to graduate was Artis. PT will join him later this year.

Terry’s first class is rated #57 nationally. The point being if we are going to give out raises based on recruiting ranking instead of wins then TF should have been making around 2 million a year.

That pretty much says you want Dimel fired. Recruiting looks good on paper, it doesn't mean squat when his players are yet to play a single game.. Performance on the court will dictate whether or not he deserves a raise.[

No it doesnt. I didnt say that he should be fired. Being a basketball coach is not all about the court .i think Recruiting is number 1 and then winning. You dont win if you dont get good players. I think Dimel is doing a good job at recruiting so far. Terry is a getting a lot of good players and ecpect them to do big things. I think Terry was a home run hire.

In 2012 UTEP had a top 10 recruiting class in the nation. Hamilton never showed up. Hunter left early. Who knows whatever happened to Sphight and Jacob Thomas. The only player to graduate in a UTEP uniform from the class was Flaggert.

In 2015 Tim Floyd had a top 15 recruiting class. Lee Moore left early, Mcswiggan Transfered, Romnie Transfered. The only player to graduate was Artis. PT will join him later this year.

Terry’s first class is rated #57 nationally. The point being if we are going to give out raises based on recruiting ranking instead of wins then TF should have been making around 2 million a year.

Those players never showed up. Terry players showed up. Big difference.

It is a very good sign that all of the players showed up and we have not seen that in like 8 years. But even having all the players show up doesn't mean jack shit. They need to show their worth out on the court. Look at Fred Rouse. He had offers from every big time football school and was compared to Randy Moss. He sucked on the college level. Giving a coach a raise because of a recruiting class that hasn't played 1 minute on the court is stupid.
Terry is easily one the top 3 highest paid coaches in CUSA, so he deserves no raise for just 1 recruiting class. When he makes the NCAA Tourney or wins a CUSA regular season title, yes give the man a raise.

Last edited:
As if there was a line before Dimel was hired? Not saying, Dimel should be fired, of course not. At the same time, there is not much desirability. That wouldn't change much... Until a coach wins at least 1 game... :)

Hyperbole my friend.

That’s my point, desirability wasn’t high before this year, but if you fire a coach after only one year of not being able to turn a total shipwreck around, no one in their right mind, or at least no coach worth a damn, would dare apply for the position.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPTUTEP
It is a very good sign that all of the players showed up and we have not seen that in like 8 years. But even having all the players show up doesn't mean jack shit. They need to show their worth out on the court. Look at Fred Rouse. He had offers from every big time football school and was compared to Randy Moss. He sucked on the college level. Giving a coach a raise because of a recruiting class that hasn't played 1 minute on the court is stupid.
Terry is easily one the top 3 highest paid coaches in CUSA, so he deserves no raise for just 1 recruiting class. When he makes the NCAA Tourney or wins a CUSA regular season title, yes give the man a raise.

what you think is a coaches most important job??? I say its recruiting and recruiting good players. Terry got hired in what April and in that short time he has brought in talented players. Just Imagine what he can do in a whole year? Are telling me if Terry lands Jalen Green #1 recruit in the nation you wouldn't give him a raise??? Fred Rouse doesn't even count he was a trouble maker.Barbee didn't really win anything until he got Character. Do you think Barbee wins without Character?? Look at Coach Cal he makes the big money for his recruiting. THe best coaches make their big money because of how they recruit. Its pretty simple you recruit the most talented players and winning will follow. The top C-USA teams are teams who recruit well.

what you think is a coaches most important job??? I say its recruiting and recruiting good players. Terry got hired in what April and in that short time he has brought in talented players. Just Imagine what he can do in a whole year? Are telling me if Terry lands Jalen Green #1 recruit in the nation you wouldn't give him a raise??? Fred Rouse doesn't even count he was a trouble maker.Barbee didn't really win anything until he got Character. Do you think Barbee wins without Character?? Look at Coach Cal he makes the big money for his recruiting. THe best coaches make their big money because of how they recruit. Its pretty simple you recruit the most talented players and winning will follow. The top C-USA teams are teams who recruit well.
A coaches most important job is developing his players, doing what it takes to win games, conference championships, and make the NCAA Tourney. Why would we give Terry a raise for bringing in Jalen Green???? What if we go .500 with him here??? What if he is a total flop like Rouse and doesn't do anything??? Then giving Terry a raise was pointless Now if we go the NCAA Tourney with Green and make it to the Sweet 16, then Terry deserves a raise. Coach Cal gets paid because of his accomplishments on the basketball court, not his recruiting classes...meaning his players get it done on the court. Terry's players have done nothing on the court and he deserves no raise until he actually does something with the recruiting classes.

Said it once and I'll say it again; he went for high risk, high reward recruits. It blew up in his face. Some coaches can keep it together with those kind of recruits; however, Floyd failed and will never, ever own it. He denied it and made excuses as he was walking out the door.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT