ADVERTISEMENT

If Utep did build a new football stadium...

I'll Play Along.

You tear down the Sun Bowl and build the new Stadium where the existing Stadium is at. 40,000 seats or so with Luxury boxes and where the Duhram Center is at will be the locker rooms and Athletic Performace Center.

The Miners will spend the season playing at Southwest University Park as their temporary home.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I'll Play Along.

You tear down the Sun Bowl and build the new Stadium where the existing Stadium is at. 40,000 seats or so with Luxury boxes and where the Duhram Center is at will be the locker rooms and Athletic Performace Center.

The Miners will spend the season playing at Southwest University Park as their temporary home.
While we play at SUP we might finally have some sell outs. We'll have the AAC and MW fighting over us.

Reactions: kickballpro
I'll Play Along.

SDSU and Hawaii are doing this and playing this season and maybe the next in smaller stadiums. SDSU is playing in the LA area which is a major inconvenience for their fans but you do what you have to do. A school needs lots of donations to get thru that whole process. Anyone think UTEP can pull it off?

SDSU and Hawaii are doing this and playing this season and maybe the next in smaller stadiums. SDSU is playing in the LA area which is a major inconvenience for their fans but you do what you have to do. A school needs lots of donations to get thru that whole process. Anyone think UTEP can pull it off?
We could pull this off. However, it takes vision and a capital fundraising effort. Senter couldn't pull it off.

Hawaii is not doing it by choice. Aloha Stadium was close to being condemned. They had no choice. SDSU chose to build a stadium.

No reason it couldn't be done at the current site. It'll have to be done in phases of course. It may take a couple of years to complete. Then again, Stanford did it in one offseason.

How are they stupid?? Nobody has answered if Utep would lose the Sun Bowl?? Would CBS be okay to continue contract with a smaller stadium?? Snd how can they play in Southwest Stadium??? Dont Chihuahuas also play on Saturdays??

SDSU has an NFL stadium left over right down the interstate don't they? Why go all the way to L.A.?

Y'all are opposed to chairbacking the gold section, which I assume would cost less than 2 million but want to entertain an idea that cost 200 million. Lol.
Exactly, and who is gonna pay for the new stadium? Unless somebody with big time money is down for a complete athletic overhaul then UTEP athletics will keep spiraling. We are done..

Y'all are opposed to chairbacking the gold section, which I assume would cost less than 2 million but want to entertain an idea that cost 200 million. Lol.
I do think that backing for current benches along with tarping the endzone seats would be a good way to go. Take off the tarps for the annual sun bowl game but for UTEP games that would reduce seating to upper thirties or forty k. You're right that that is sooo much cheaper.

Exactly, and who is gonna pay for the new stadium?
Demolition isn't cheap either. I'm thinking at least 10-15 million in that alone. We had a difficult time coming up with that money for the most recent renovations.

How are they stupid?? Nobody has answered if Utep would lose the Sun Bowl?? Would CBS be okay to continue contract with a smaller stadium?? Snd how can they play in Southwest Stadium??? Dont Chihuahuas also play on Saturdays??
Fili the Sun Bowl has nothing to do with UTEP. The Stadium is owned by
UTEP. The university leases the stadium to the Sunnies for one day a year for a dollar. After the university took the stadium away from the city in 2000 via imminent domain the university has a handshake agreement to lease the stadium to Sunnies one day a year. It is not contractually required. UTEP could the Sunnies packing if they want. The Sun Bowl game will continually fall down the rung of Bowl games. The university shouldn't consider the game in any decisions about the stadium.

If UTEP built a new stadium they would not play in a minor league baseball stadium. They would probably play games in Las Cruces and Midland maybe a game in DFW.

UTEP. The university leases the stadium to the Sunnies for one day a year for a dollar. After the university took the stadium away from the city in 2000 via imminent domain the university has a handshake agreement to lease the stadium to Sunnies one day a year. It is not contractually required. UTEP could the Sunnies packing if they want. The Sun Bowl game will continually fall down the rung of Bowl games. The university shouldn't consider the game in any decisions about the stadium.

If UTEP built a new stadium they would not play in a minor league baseball stadium. They would probably play games in Las Cruces and Midland maybe a game in DFW.

They would not play any homes games in Midland or Dallas. Were you trying to be funny or match Fili’s stupidity? People who live in Horizon or Far East won’t travel to the west side for stuff, but 10,000 would travel 4 hours to Midland?

Games would be played at NMSU, the SAC, or another high school stadium here.

They would not play any homes games in Midland or Dallas. Were you trying to be funny or match Fili’s stupidity? People who live in Horizon or Far East won’t travel to the west side for stuff, but 10,000 would travel 4 hours to Midland?

Games would be played at NMSU, the SAC, or another high school stadium here.
I thought you said the sac was busy. Anyway why do I keep replying to this thread? Maybe they could play at the coliseum. We could tell the MW and AAC we have an indoor stadium.

1. Where would they put it??

2. Would they lose the Sun Bowl??
That real estate is some of the best, if not the best, in El Paso County/UTEP. Other than the foothill area of the Franklin Mtn range on the east side (abutting Hondo Pass and HWY 54 and Border Patrol facility which the Army says NO to selling because it was a bombing and weapons range), the SB needs a repair here and there, some modern day college football enhancements (lighting for sure) and handicapped accessibility enhancements, it's a money maker. It is still within its economic life and a major attraction that show's off El Paso.

I thought you said the sac was busy. Anyway why do I keep replying to this thread? Maybe they could play at the coliseum. We could tell the MW and AAC we have an indoor stadium.
Yes the SAC is busy, UTEP would have to make arrangements ($$$) to use it and plan far ahead. Unlikey, but still more possible than Midland or Dallas hosting a home game.

When Mike Price came to UTEP and was shown his office he was blown away. When Mike Leach brought TT into town the stadium was full and he as blown away with the acoustics bouncing off the mountains. P5 fans like to visit the Sun Bowl because they like the stadium. Teams are envious of it. Where can you get fondled by your lover on top of the eastern peak overlooking a game and end up on national TV?

No one is going to fart on a great thing.

You and Ncaanowins are funny. Always complaining about a thread but still replying. Its okay not to reply.

The Sun Bowl has everything to do with Utep. Are you saying Utep doesn't get any money from the Sun Bowl game?? How about the restaurants, hotels, and parking area at the Sun Bowl?? Utep doesn't make money from that??

The Sun Bowl has everything to do with Utep. Are you saying Utep doesn't get any money from the Sun Bowl game?? How about the restaurants, hotels, and parking area at the Sun Bowl?? Utep doesn't make money from that??

Again, how old are you?

UTEP gets $1 or whatever the agreement with the Sun Bowl association says they will get.

Restaurants and hotels do not pay UTEP one cent. That is why business owners put their restaurants and hotels near popular areas and events.

UTEP isn’t the mob and doesn’t collect a fee from area businesses.

The Sun Bowl game has nothing to do with UTEP. Nothing.

Again, how old are you?

UTEP gets $1 or whatever the agreement with the Sun Bowl association says they will get.

Restaurants and hotels do not pay UTEP one cent. That is why business owners put their restaurants and hotels near popular areas and events.

UTEP isn’t the mob and doesn’t collect a fee from area businesses.

The Sun Bowl game has nothing to do with UTEP. Nothing.

Okay so UTEP gets a smaller stadium and so El Paso the city loses the Sun Bowl game. The hotels and restaurants lose money and they all go bankrupt. Or am I wrong??

Okay so UTEP gets a smaller stadium and so El Paso the city loses the Sun Bowl game. The hotels and restaurants lose money and they all go bankrupt. Or am I wrong??

In your hypothetical, far fetched scenario, that would be up to the Sun Bowl association to continue a bowl game or not.

You would be wrong, as those hotels and restaurants operate 364 other days every year and aren’t bankrupt. There was no Sun Bowl last year and plenty of area businesses didn’t go bankrupt. If they did, it wasn’t because the Sun Bowl game took a hiatus.

I recommend you attend EPCC and take some business classes. Post your address and I will send you some crayon drawings of business concepts. Free of charge!

Reactions: Hot For Keitha
The Sun Bowl's demise likely will have nothing to do with the stadium or with UTEP. All bowls except for a few are competing for fewer dollars and even fewer name teams. An expanded playoff or a change in classification, change in TV contracts etc would kill off many bowls now. I won't pay or watch a 6-5 North Carolina battle 6-6 ASU in any circumstance and certainly not in a bowl game.

Since its all Hypothetical anyway, Sun Bowl is played at NMSU for a year.

wtf.gif

Ok so they build the New Stadium On top of the Rio Grande. And its built im such a fashion that Mexico has access to one side and the United States has access to the other. FC Juarez and Locomotives will also play there. One end zone will be in Mexico and one in the United States. Every time a team crosses midfield they have to clear customs.

Ok so they build the New Stadium On top of the Rio Grande. And its built im such a fashion that Mexico has access to one side and the United States has access to the other. FC Juarez and Locomotives will also play there. One end zone will be in Mexico and one in the United States. Every time a team crosses midfield they have to clear customs.
200.gif

Back in 90's Wazzu and Idaho were looking to build new football stadiums. Paul Allen offered to build a 50,000 seat stadium. The 50 Yardline was to be the Washington/Idaho border. The Cougars would have their facilities on the Washington side and Vandals would have theirs on the Idaho side. The idea had traction but ultimately Wazzu wanted no part of sharing a stadium with their smaller neighbor.

Hmm interesting idea
Back in 90's Wazzu and Idaho were looking to build new football stadiums. Paul Allen offered to build a 50,000 seat stadium. The 50 Yardline was to be the Washington/Idaho border. The Cougars would have their facilities on the Washington side and Vandals would have theirs on the Idaho side. The idea had traction but ultimately Wazzu wanted no part of sharing a stadium with their smaller neighbor.

Interesting idea for Utep and NMSU??

NMSU and Utep can raise money together. Build a stadium with 2 fields one field in New Mexico Side and the other in the El Paso side. They could play some games at the same time. Great idea...

Hmm interesting idea

Interesting idea for Utep and NMSU??

NMSU and Utep can raise money together. Build a stadium with 2 fields one field in New Mexico Side and the other in the El Paso side. They could play some games at the same time. Great idea...
That would never work. I only brought it up because kickball pro mentioned a stadium crossing the border. He was joking. The only real life example of that I've ever heard of is Paul Allen's proposal. However, crossing state lines with a stadium is much different than crossing international lines which would be impossible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT