ADVERTISEMENT

If Utep loses to Kennesaw State...

UTEP is getting 3 Mill for the two body bag games this year. And we have Texas next year. Fire Walden.
lol hahaha Utep ain’t Notre Dame or the NFL, no school in the Group of 6 fires a couch after the 1st year for wins or losses lol Get A Clue, Not Happening!

Reactions: Dmanminer
We need an OKG at QB that is a PTP'er.

Find a bit of a difference-maker at QB and most teams will find wins or at least be in it most of the games. I'm not talking All-American here, somewhere between a Rocky Perez and a Jordan Palmer. I don't think that guy is on the roster. I hope I'm wrong.

Like most of you, I'm not happy with where the season has gone. I also felt that Scotty needed to win early with all the transfers he brought in. Now I know if he's going to win, it's probably going to be in year 3. If his recruiting class is as good as advertised, they still need to develop and gain experience. We are about to pay MWC entrance fees and CUSA exit fees. For the people that are ready to part ways with Scotty, remember that we are not going to be able to buy out Scotty right now or anytime soon. Hopefully, his process pays off.

I looked at the last game's depth chart and noticed that we only had about 2 or 3 seniors on offense, so they really are young. He's playing a lot of his young guys that he brought in. We need them to mature quickly. Conversely, on defense, there's a lot of seniors which is concerning for next year. I think we have all seen that the defense is good enough for our level but the offense hasn't helped them. I hope to see some FBS transfers come in for the offensive line, defense, and QB this off-season.
To add on to this, this is the list of seniors I had when the final roster dropped in August.
-----
Seniors 2024:
- Isiah Wright
- Jaden Smith
- Otis Pitts
- Julian Lopez
- Kevin Hurley
- Trey Goodman
- Corey Wren

- Mo Westmoreland
- Sione Tonga'uiha
- Bryton Thompson
- Tevita Tafuna
- Jalen Rayam
- Hunter Rapolla
- AJ Odums
- Oscar Moore
- KD Johnson
- Jayce Hunter
- Dorian Hopkins
- Jake Hall
- Yessman Green
- Devin Goree
- Tray Dunson
- Corey Chapman
- Chase Bibler
- Josiah Allen

- Angelo Tejada
-----
Jaden Smith got hurt early on and might be back next season. I don't know if a good chunk of these guys have played and might be eligible for redshirt.

There is a combination of factors as to why this season did not work out. Walden is new to FBS and is just young in general. No matter how you slice it, he is still learning on the job. I have read many complaints over the years that we never go with the young, up and coming coach. Well, we finally did. And this is the risk you take when you go young and relatively inexperienced, in comparison to guys like Dimel. And let's be honest, a GOOD experienced coach like Gary Patterson or Rich Rodriguez isn't coming to UTEP at the salaries UTEP pays. Walden had to take a payout to bring his coaching staff in. The MWC move will help with that atleast.

Walden has done a great job rebuilding the brand on the recruiting trail in Texas. This past class, the core of the class was HS kids with a lot of Austin Peay kids (they also had to all adjust to FBS together). The 2025 class will be even heavier on HS kids. The team will be built with HS kids, which means it'll take a couple years for them to get experience and get stronger and become key players. Kyran Duhon is a good example of a kid that is balling out as a freshman. Shufelt is another. Jaylin Jones is getting a lot of opportunities. As long as there isn't a mass exodus through the portal, I am liking the future of the defense through the young guys. The offense has a good core at WR and RB. TE is a mystery.

When you turnover a roster as much as Walden did, a slow/bad start was inevitable. Yep his offense is putrid. Bad OL and bad QB play. Walden needs to utilize the transfer portal to bring in an experienced QB and OL. Easier said than done, but I hope Walden pulls in a grad transfer QB. Someone that can be transitory for Chad Warner. Waldens playcalling is baffling at times, but he's limited by his QB and his OL (still completely Waldens fault).

I think he has until year 4 to turn this thing around (UTEP isnt paying a buyout unless its a year out from the end of his contract, which is 2028), and based on his recruiting, I think he will do it.

To add on to this, this is the list of seniors I had when the final roster dropped in August.
-----
Seniors 2024:
- Isiah Wright
- Jaden Smith
- Otis Pitts
- Julian Lopez
- Kevin Hurley
- Trey Goodman
- Corey Wren

- Mo Westmoreland
- Sione Tonga'uiha
- Bryton Thompson
- Tevita Tafuna
- Jalen Rayam
- Hunter Rapolla
- AJ Odums
- Oscar Moore
- KD Johnson
- Jayce Hunter
- Dorian Hopkins
- Jake Hall
- Yessman Green
- Devin Goree
- Tray Dunson
- Corey Chapman
- Chase Bibler
- Josiah Allen

- Angelo Tejada
-----
Jaden Smith got hurt early on and might be back next season. I don't know if a good chunk of these guys have played and might be eligible for redshirt.

There is a combination of factors as to why this season did not work out. Walden is new to FBS and is just young in general. No matter how you slice it, he is still learning on the job. I have read many complaints over the years that we never go with the young, up and coming coach. Well, we finally did. And this is the risk you take when you go young and relatively inexperienced, in comparison to guys like Dimel. And let's be honest, a GOOD experienced coach like Gary Patterson or Rich Rodriguez isn't coming to UTEP at the salaries UTEP pays. Walden had to take a payout to bring his coaching staff in. The MWC move will help with that atleast.

Walden has done a great job rebuilding the brand on the recruiting trail in Texas. This past class, the core of the class was HS kids with a lot of Austin Peay kids (they also had to all adjust to FBS together). The 2025 class will be even heavier on HS kids. The team will be built with HS kids, which means it'll take a couple years for them to get experience and get stronger and become key players. Kyran Duhon is a good example of a kid that is balling out as a freshman. Shufelt is another. Jaylin Jones is getting a lot of opportunities. As long as there isn't a mass exodus through the portal, I am liking the future of the defense through the young guys. The offense has a good core at WR and RB. TE is a mystery.

When you turnover a roster as much as Walden did, a slow/bad start was inevitable. Yep his offense is putrid. Bad OL and bad QB play. Walden needs to utilize the transfer portal to bring in an experienced QB and OL. Easier said than done, but I hope Walden pulls in a grad transfer QB. Someone that can be transitory for Chad Warner. Waldens playcalling is baffling at times, but he's limited by his QB and his OL (still completely Waldens fault).

I think he has until year 4 to turn this thing around (UTEP isnt paying a buyout unless its a year out from the end of his contract, which is 2028), and based on his recruiting, I think he will do it.
Could have gone with the young OC from UNLV. Some players would have stayed. Better offense. From your list, it appears the defense is going to take a hit next season...

And let's be honest, a GOOD experienced coach like Gary Patterson or Rich Rodriguez isn't coming to UTEP at the salaries UTEP pays.
This really shows how far UTEP has fallen down the pecking order. A coach like Rodriguez wouldn’t consider coming here for the $800k that Walden is set to make, yet he’s willing to take that same amount at a transitioning FCS program. After an impressive first year at JSU, he earned a contract extension with a salary increase. It’s disheartening to see where things stand.

This really shows how far UTEP has fallen down the pecking order. A coach like Rodriguez wouldn’t consider coming here for the $800k that Walden is set to make, yet he’s willing to take that same amount at a transitioning FCS program. After an impressive first year at JSU, he earned a contract extension with a salary increase. It’s disheartening to see where things stand.
From what I have read, Walden is getting less than 800k this year to pay for his coaching staff.

Could have gone with the young OC from UNLV. Some players would have stayed. Better offense. From your list, it appears the defense is going to take a hit next season...
I liked Marrion too. That was my favorite of the bunch. But we would have to be patient with Marrion too.

Except at ULM. Pay a coach half of what Walden makes, turnover more players on the roster, while being lucky to get 10k fans for Saturday home games, but can’t do it here. Have to lower expectations every time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT