ADVERTISEMENT

Kristan Sjolund

If he can shoot as hyped, a good addition, otherwise we already have the inside big man who can't shoot position covered. With Hess seems we are addressing our shooting issue. Still need a good point guard and an elite rebounder.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
News outlets and fans on Twitter seem really excited about this one. What do you think?
Looks good to me. I think its unfair to compare him to Vila. Different level of player and different position IMO. He won't be asked to defend the 5. I could see him playing the 4 at times with Bryson in a smaller lineup, but I think he plays the 3.

BTW, if there is ANY WAY possible for Vila to play and gain confidence its playing SF (away from the rim), but he MUST start making 3s at a high rate. If he's not playing early on I can see him leaving the team mid-season to go back to Europe (if he is still here).

News outlets and fans on Twitter seem really excited about this one. What do you think?
Nothing great, nothing bad. Pastner stated to Atlanta fishwrap he need do develop his strength and skills. Not convincing to me when UTEP plays NMSU, La Tech, Marshall or WKU. These teams are physically strong and Williams can't do it all himself.

Man this kid has range and finishes at the rim quick! 3-part video (just swipe left).

You have to like his athleticism and his three point range. I hope he can contribute to the the Miners next season.

Reactions: unihorn
Must’ve been given a waiver.

Always wonder about the promises given guys like this.

Hope it works out for all.

Based on his vids-- beautiful stroke. Ball rarely touches the rim when he hits from 3. Don't know height, but seems taller and longer than all his opponents. Has some legit athleticism.

Only 2 questions are:

- why is he coming here?
- will he transfer up to Creighton, or down to Rio Grande Cc after his fr year?

Based on his vids-- beautiful stroke. Ball rarely touches the rim when he hits from 3. Don't know height, but seems taller and longer than all his opponents. Has some legit athleticism.

Only 2 questions are:

- why is he coming here?
- will he transfer up to Creighton, or down to Rio Grande Cc after his fr year?
Transferring in as a redshirt sophmore from Georgia Tech. Didn't play last season.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Well, so much for my assumptions then.

I just looked him up. Sounds like a kid who'd ride the bench on most D1 teams. He'll fit right in with our D2 lineup (excluding BW, of course)....
Maybe you should look at his stretch of playing time late in his freshman season against ACC teams. Not saying he's gonna break the all time scoring record at UTEP, but he looks like a pretty good piece to me. Shot 36% from 3 in ACC play.

What did you look up that make you think he is a D2 caliber player? A little drastic don't you think?

Maybe you should look at his stretch of playing time late in his freshman season against ACC teams. Not saying he's gonna break the all time scoring record at UTEP, but he looks like a pretty good piece to me. Shot 36% from 3 in ACC play.

What did you look up that make you think he is a D2 caliber player? A little drastic don't you think?

Well, if I'm being honest, I'm being a bit overdramatic. I'm still pretty bitter about this whole cluster of a season. That's in addition to an overall athletics program that seems to be in a perpetual state of turmoil and underachievement. So I honestly have no faith in our ability to recruit quality players, or field a properly coached team anymore.

Sucks, cause I usually love researching recruits. This time, I honestly just took a quick glance at his espn profile. Guess I no longer have the enthusiasm to research players when I expect them to either be duds, or not make it past two seasons in a Miner Uniform.

It's actually pretty crazy when you think about the last time we had a successful program in either major sport. Doesn't seem like that's changing any time soon. :/

Well, if I'm being honest, I'm being a bit overdramatic. I'm still pretty bitter about this whole cluster of a season. That's in addition to an overall athletics program that seems to be in a perpetual state of turmoil and underachievement. So I honestly have no faith in our ability to recruit quality players, or field a properly coached team anymore.

Sucks, cause I usually love researching recruits. This time, I honestly just took a quick glance at his espn profile. Guess I no longer have the enthusiasm to research players when I expect them to either be duds, or not make it past two seasons in a Miner Uniform.

It's actually pretty crazy when you think about the last time we had a successful program in either major sport. Doesn't seem like that's changing any time soon. :/
I feel you man. Well said too. I just think of it as the new recruits have nothing to do with our recent past and will eventually have something to do with our future success (hopefully soon).

Just another Floyd type move. Hit the reset button, bring in some raw, unproven players that have some potential and give them a year to prove themselves. If they don't show anything, give them the boot. Then repeat. It feels like Tim Floyd never left.

I don’t care if a coach turns over 11 players every year; as long as they win meaningful games. I don’t care if you stay 1 or 5 years, as long as the person replacing you is the same or better.

To be honest too many programs are going this route. I hate it, but it just seems that most recruits are free agents and every year they shop around for the best place to show their skills. Not enough loyal honest kids who want to put in four years, work to improve and be part of a team.

To be honest too many programs are going this route. I hate it, but it just seems that most recruits are free agents and every year they shop around for the best place to show their skills. Not enough loyal honest kids who want to put in four years, work to improve and be part of a team.

When you have coaches who are constantly pushing players away if they feel they can bring a better kid in, how can you blame the players if they don't feel any kind of loyalty to the team/coach? Make athletic scholarships guaranteed for at least four years so that the Floyds and Terrys of the world can't run them off, and then I'll start blaming the kids if an overabundance of them are looking to transfer every year.

When you have coaches who are constantly pushing players away if they feel they can bring a better kid in, how can you blame the players if they don't feel any kind of loyalty to the team/coach? Make athletic scholarships guaranteed for at least four years so that the Floyds and Terrys of the world can't run them off, and then I'll start blaming the kids if an overabundance of them are looking to transfer every year.
Coaches wouldn't like that because it doesn't give them flexibility to get better players. If we could only admit that major college sports (men's basketball and football) are not "amateur" anymore with the amount of money it brings in from sponsors and television, the insane salaries that state schools pay its coaches, the turnover of players. I don't blame players at all for moving to a place that they feel benefits them. Everyone else seems to be benefitting from them.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Who's problem is that?
People who deny the entirety of the situation, who deny the truth, who deny facts. Who deny science........... I can keep going on who the problem is. The biggest problem is there's more deniers than truth seekers.

People who deny the entirety of the situation, who deny the truth, who deny facts. Who deny science........... I can keep going on who the problem is. The biggest problem is there's more deniers than truth seekers.

lol What the heck are you talking about?

What facts am I denying?

I stated the fact that athletes get free room and board, you told me most athletes aren't there to get an education, and I asked you who's problem that was.

Every athletes VOLUNTARILY plays sports. Nobody is making anybody do anything.

This year we saw a few high prize recruits go to g or d league whichever it is. Hopefully this becomes the norm. They can have all the divas, colleges can keep the student athletes.

This year we saw a few high prize recruits go to g or d league whichever it is. Hopefully this becomes the norm. They can have all the divas, colleges can keep the student athletes.

Exactly. You don't need to go to college to have a chance to play in the NBA.

You never needed to go to college. You could have played overseas or sat out a year.

What does this have to do with players not wanting to get an education?

It's a two way street coaches and players are responsible for this. Coaches pass on the pressure they get onto players. Players are just as responsible as coaches for this mess. Promises are made and broken all around. It's one big deception game, players want the quick route to stardom, coaches and fans want pretty much the same. No time for loyalty, building or relationships. At the heart of all of this are us, the fans, we demand you win now or hit the road. As a coach how do you show patience with a developing player or a team when all around you will not have any with you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT