ADVERTISEMENT

Los Mineros...

allminer

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 12, 2005
I don't want to start another political fiasco thread, but anyone notice the Miners have been wearing the Los Mineros jerseys quite a bit lately? Subtle statement from Floyd perhaps? Am not saying its good, and I'm not saying its bad.

Originally the plan was for the team to wear the Texas Western jerseys. That was why the cheerleaders were wearing older uniforms and Pete had an older jersey along with the team being referred to as "Texas Western" and the tributes to players from way back and recognition for the long time season ticket holders.

Bullshit response from the conference.

Statement from Conference USA regarding end of UTEP/Old Dominion Men’s Basketball Game
March 3, 2017

On the final possession of last night’s ODU at UTEP men’s basketball game, the clock did not start when it contacted the player in bounds. From available video and precision timing reports, we are unable to determine if this was a human or technical error.

Regardless of how the error occurred, the officials correctly utilized the replay monitor and two additional timing devices (per Rules 2.7.6, 5.4 and 11.2.1). It was determined that had the clock started when it should have, the final tip would have occurred after time expired, thereby disallowing the basket.

In addition to reviewing the video, reports and the rule book, the Conference office consulted with the NCAA National Coordinator of Officials to confirm that proper protocol for the review was followed.

How about a thorough evaluation of the officials' performance during last nights game? They didn't just drop the ball in the last few seconds of the game. They were inconsistent from the opening possession.

UTEP has worn the jerseys many times before. I have no clue why it would even be a political statement to wear a jersey in Spanish.

As I have stated previously, I AM a jackass....

I HATE the Mineros jerseys. I love my Mexican friends and such, but we are NOT the Mineros....we are the Miners. You don't see Dallas wearing Caballeros on their jerseys. Or Los Aggies. (sorry I don't know if there is a spanish version of aggies) Who else does it? I could be wrong, which I am VERY frequently, but I "think" it is dumb.
Is the Juarez soccer team going to wear the english version of their team name? uh....no...

And just to be clear, I HATE the Texas Western jerseys as well. We are now UTEP. Have ONE throwback a year. Sell replica jerseys. Sell replica junk....then move on....

And UTEP adds to their stupidity, they wear Mineros jerseys, and jeff limberger cheese calls them Texas Western all night.....

I HATE the Mineros jerseys. I love my Mexican friends and such, but we are NOT the Mineros....we are the Miners. You don't see Dallas wearing Caballeros on their jerseys. Or Los Aggies. (sorry I don't know if there is a spanish version of aggies) Who else does it? I could be wrong, which I am VERY frequently, but I "think" it is dumb.
Is the Juarez soccer team going to wear the english version of their team name? uh....no...

And just to be clear, I HATE the Texas Western jerseys as well. We are now UTEP. Have ONE throwback a year. Sell replica jerseys. Sell replica junk....then move on....

And UTEP adds to their stupidity, they wear Mineros jerseys, and jeff limberger cheese calls them Texas Western all night.....

Uhmm the NBA does it with teams in cities with a high Hispanic population such as LA and San Antonio. They'll usually just add "los" in front. Wow, hate much?

Reactions: dandaminerman
Dude, I am a UTEP Miners fan.....get off your high horse.....I have many hispanic friends that think its majorly stupid as well.....It's NOT just me.....

now that we lost, maybe they sell the jerseys...

the only thing I hate is stupidity....like how el paso sports fan screws up this board every time he creates a new name. the rest of you guys I can deal with, even when we don't agree....

Reactions: allminer
I think it was fine wearing them once a year for "noche Latina." Other than that is too much. Same for the Texas Western jerseys. Once a year for an important throwback game is more than enough.

I've seen a lot of good press regarding the current jerseys with the classic cursive "Miners" on it.

I hate the current uniforms and I hate the colors. They need to go back to the burnt orange of the '66 Miners. I hate the blue trim. I hate the blue jerseys. I hate the black alternate jerseys (if they still wear them). I don't hate playing in the Don, but I hate that we don't play in Memorial any more. And I hate all of you who act like you know it all because you're pissing off those of us who do.

Whew. Back to drinking margaritas......

lieb

the only thing I hate is stupidity....like how el paso sports fan screws up this board every time he creates a new name. the rest of you guys I can deal with, even when we don't agree....

How have I screwed up this board? Just wondering since nobody has given an answer yet.

I didn't know cowboys translated to "Caballeros" I always thought it was Vaqueros.

I am ok with the occasional special jersey night. Chihuahuas will wear Diablos 1987 uniforms on Wednesday nights this year.

But here's the difference, you can buy the stuff. Can you buy the alternate fan gear anywhere?

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I am ok with the occasional special jersey night. Chihuahuas will wear Diablos 1987 uniforms on Wednesday nights this year.

But here's the difference, you can buy the stuff. Can you buy the alternate fan gear anywhere?
Great point.

Well.... this was the one throwback game. It was advertised as "Texas Western Night" and originally they were to wear the Texas Western jerseys. The Mineros jerseys were also to be a one time thing for the whole Latino night game. They became the "lucky" jerseys and have now been worn multiple times.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I don't care either way about the jerseys. I do like the throwbacks just because so many people around the country don't know Texas Western is UTEP so it's a nice reminder to people. I can't imagine UTEP would ever ditch the blue in their jerseys since UT Austin has cornered the market on the orange and white color scheme in Texas.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

Goodness gracious, man, little harsh, eh? Okay to have an opinion, but what ever happened to live and let live?

I hate the current uniforms and I hate the colors. They need to go back to the burnt orange of the '66 Miners. I hate the blue trim. I hate the blue jerseys. I hate the black alternate jerseys (if they still wear them). I don't hate playing in the Don, but I hate that we don't play in Memorial any more. And I hate all of you who act like you know it all because you're pissing off those of us who do.

Whew. Back to drinking margaritas......

lieb

God damnit, lieb. I just spit out half my drink after reading that last line.

Reactions: develman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT