ADVERTISEMENT

MIA

The quality is there, and again, there is reason to be excited about the future, no doubt.

I am also pragmatic, I recall driving home from work and listening to SportsTalk when we signed a true 7-footer from Colorado named Jon Bomba, I saw this board go crazy and start drooling over multiple NCAA appearances when our recruiting class had Top-100 players Nick Enzweiler and Antone Jarrell. Anyone remember an Australian sharp-shooter named Luke Martin who was supposed to open up our inside game. Or when we signed some German kid named Thomas Gherke mid-season and he helped us beat Boise in the 6-24 season (our coach was so excited he even went out an got a DUI). We even signed a McDonald’s All-American, who ended up playing at UCLA.

Point is, let them play a season against other all-state, all-conference, all-district, etc type players. I prefer to watch them on the court and see how they perform. I don’t get caught up in basketball season in mid-May.
Good post, with historical perspective.

New guy, coming in stronnnng. I like it.

The quality is there, and again, there is reason to be excited about the future, no doubt.

I am also pragmatic, I recall driving home from work and listening to SportsTalk when we signed a true 7-footer from Colorado named Jon Bomba, I saw this board go crazy and start drooling over multiple NCAA appearances when our recruiting class had Top-100 players Nick Enzweiler and Antone Jarrell. Anyone remember an Australian sharp-shooter named Luke Martin who was supposed to open up our inside game. Or when we signed some German kid named Thomas Gherke mid-season and he helped us beat Boise in the 6-24 season (our coach was so excited he even went out an got a DUI). We even signed a McDonald’s All-American, who ended up playing at UCLA.

Point is, let them play a season against other all-state, all-conference, all-district, etc type players. I prefer to watch them on the court and see how they perform. I don’t get caught up in basketball season in mid-May.
I, on the other hand prefer to try to be up beat and enjoy positive vibes in May and not pout about past disappointments. I search for optimistic developments so I can anticipate October with hope.

I, on the other hand prefer to try to be up beat and enjoy positive vibes in May and not pout about past disappointments. I search for optimistic developments so I can anticipate October with hope.

You clearly didn't read his post.

"The quality is there, and again, there is reason to be excited about the future, no doubt."

The fact is that nobody knows if they will be duds or not that until they play. I hope Terry does great here, but like TenaciousD, I am cautiously optimistic as well. Most people thought Floyd was going to great things for UTEP when he got here 8 years ago and we were all wrong about that.
What proof do you have they "Might be duds"? Why would you assume the worst from a new coach?
What proof do you have you were ever supportive of Floyd when he got here?

Reactions: Jimmy the Miner
I’m surprised @mikesarabia hasn't posted as much. He’s a big basketball fan.
Sorry guys, I get into the Twitter news and sometimes don’t have a chance to come on this site. Just for the record I am super excited about the MBB team and what Coach Terry and his staff are doing.

His last message was somewhat cryptic, imo. I asked if he knew anything. He never answered. That could mean he either knows something and is avoiding the board so as to not be hounded about the news. Or...he doesn’t know anything more than we do. Either way, we’re still here chasing our tails until 6:00 E.
So another apology here. Regarding that “last message “, here’s what happened. I received information from a very reliable source that Ezeagu was committing to UTEP and I actually posted it on Twitter. One of my fellow UTEP posters on Twitter saw I posted it and sent me a DM to ask me to delete the message because Ezeagu wanted the message to come from him. I deleted the Tweet to honor Ezeagu’s request.

My source was also correct on Tarke committing to UTEP and the only other new information I have to share is that Bryson Williams is supposed to be coming to UTEP. We obviously haven’t seen anything to confirm that, but so far my source has been reliable.

So another apology here. Regarding that “last message “, here’s what happened. I received information from a very reliable source that Ezeagu was committing to UTEP and I actually posted it on Twitter. One of my fellow UTEP posters on Twitter saw I posted it and sent me a DM to ask me to delete the message because Ezeagu wanted the message to come from him. I deleted the Tweet to honor Ezeagu’s request.

My source was also correct on Tarke committing to UTEP and the only other new information I have to share is that Bryson Williams is supposed to be coming to UTEP. We obviously haven’t seen anything to confirm that, but so far my source has been reliable.

Thanks for the info, my friend. Like I said, there was a way about your post that was “cryptic” and it definitely seemed like you were in the know. Thanks for the heads up on Williams, as well. Would be great for your source to go 3 for 3!

Since your performance is so special so far; how about telling us who is going to be coming via the jc or transfer route, hopefully to include a couple of bigs. We are at eight schollies (7 for 2018) now so I figure we gotta have at least ten scholly players on this season's roster. Tarke and Williams if we get him are both 2019 players.

Yeah, I'm sure he didn't want the great Mike Sarabia's Twitter handle spoiling his UTEP news.

Reactions: El Paso 1
Sounds like shovelman is jealous he has no inside sources.

Yeah, great take! I'm so jealous I didn't have the "inside sources" on 2 players nobody had even heard of, until 2 weeks ago. Man, I am sure disappointed I didn't get the info first on a NJIT and Canadian player. Sucks, I'll just wait until November to see them play, like everyone else. Back to my mundane life of no recruiting inside info.

Again, great take man!!!!!!!

Yeah, great take! I'm so jealous I didn't have the "inside sources" on 2 players nobody had even heard of, until 2 weeks ago. Man, I am sure disappointed I didn't get the info first on a NJIT and Canadian player. Sucks, I'll just wait until November to see them play, like everyone else. Back to my mundane life of no recruiting inside info.

So South Carolina and Maryland are nobodies in the college basketball world? Shows how little basketball iq you have. Continue with your great negative takes that are only liked by your bff.

So South Carolina and Maryland are nobodies in the college basketball world? Shows how little basketball iq you have. Continue with your great negative takes that are only liked by your bff.
I can only imagine that somebody here thinks our incoming players suck?

To add to Corona's point:

Tarke announced his transfer intentions in late March 2018. He had multiple schools looking at him including an offer from Maryland. Texas Tech, Nevada, Cincinnati, George Mason, Kansas, Texas and Minnesota were all reportedly interested. Not bad for a transfer from NJIT who averaged 16/6 as a sophmore.
He chose Terry and UTEP.

Ezeagu has tremendous potential and is a good enforcer/finisher already. He has played against high level competition which many of us have highlighted here already. He was co-MVP of the signature All-Canadian game with RJ Barrett and Luguentz Dort (The #1 and #28 recruits in the nation per 247). He had 27/7 with some high level blocks/fouls. Also, he was the defense player of the year in a competitive league. I'm not sure why he didn't have more offers (other than maybe clearinghouse issues), but South Carolina was in the final four recently.
He chose Terry and UTEP.

Odigie, Hawkins and Stroud were recruited by numerous schools between them including Houston, USF, Texas A&M, Fresno St., UNM, UNLV, SDSU and more. Each of them is a 3-star by Rivals or ESPN. I suspect Tarke and Ezeagu would be also (if not higher) if evaluated now.
They chose Terry and UTEP.

Terry had to start somewhere, especially in the late period. I would say that has done very well so far and he deserves the benefit of the doubt (despite our recent history under Floyd). I beleive he still has a shot at Williams for 2019 and has also already offered a 5-star for 2020.

Stop lying. I heard the El Paso Times paid Mike a few hundred dollars for all of his inside information when they featured this big story on the front page.

Reactions: ShovelMan66

That's not what I meant. You didn't know who Anthony Tarke was until it was reported he was considering here. Same for the Canadian center. Not like Grayson Allen and Marvin Bagley signed here. They are nobodies and nobody fvckin cares about inside info on recruits like them.

Stop lying. I heard the El Paso Times paid Mike a few hundred dollars for all of his inside information when they featured this big story on the front page.

I called Bill Knight right now and he said Mike Sarabia's Twitter account is the only sports related person he follows. Mike has all the scoops on UTEP. Especially so he doesn't spoil recruits decisions early, that's why he takes down some of his tweets.

I'm always passionate about my Miners and this year is very interesting. This coming football/basketball season is really fascinating for obvious reasons but having met and talked to the incoming coaches, I am really pumped. I suggest that all MinerDigs members reach out and converse with them. It's not that hard to do. Their enthusiasm and commitment to the process of establishing a great program is contagious. The Basketball coaches are especially super cool.

I'm always passionate about my Miners and this year is very interesting. This coming football/basketball season is really fascinating for obvious reasons but having met and talked to the incoming coaches, I am really pumped. I suggest that all MinerDigs members reach out and converse with them. It's not that hard to do. Their enthusiasm and commitment to the process of establishing a great program is contagious. The Basketball coaches are especially super cool.
You see and hear what I see and hear, Vegasminer.

There's a fresh wind blowing. Feel it?

Cooler than Cal Worthington (and his dog "Spot")?

The real question is whatever happened to the following posters?

El Paso Chihuahuas
El Paso 777
El Paso Sports Fan
UTEP Grade
UTEP 05

I know there is more but I can’t remember them all right now. But those were class A contributors. Full of knowledge and inside info.
I think there was a "miner vader" who used to be on here and Kyyote's. Now that person had good dirt on the inside of UTEP athletics. He broke a story about a former football player weeks and weeks before it became official one time. Ever since then....nada.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT