ADVERTISEMENT

El Paso Inc.: How NIL deals are helping UTEP athletes get paid

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
For much of its history, El Paso has had to work a little harder to showcase itself, a close-knit community isolated from the rest of the country.
But it’s long been a selling point that once you get here, you’ll understand why El Paso is so beloved.
As El Paso and UTEP student-athletes compete against other schools and cities that can offer more lucrative markets and name, image and likeness, or NIL, deals, Miner sports enthusiasts say it’s time to step up the support.

“We’re in a most unique time, where college sports is totally different, and we have to change with the times whether we like it or not,” said Steve Haskins, executive director of the Miner Collective. “I think we really have to make people understand that we can compete if we get involved.”

Collectively learning
Haskins was named the Miner Collective’s executive director in June. He isn’t just any average Miner sports fan. As the son of legendary UTEP coach Don Haskins, he’s spent much of his life around UTEP basketball and has seen the changes firsthand.
The Miner Collective was started in 2022. Since then, it has worked to bring together funders to support UTEP Men’s Basketball NIL athletes with a pool somewhere between $300,000 and $500,000, Haskins said.
The collective has a $5,000 minimum to join. Athletes in the Miner Collective are paid quarterly for the use of their name, image and likeness.
Members of the Miner Collective include Hunt Companies, Flo Networks, Casa Auto Group, Tecma, the law offices of Steve Ortega and Diversified Interiors.

UTEP is not affiliated with the Miner Collective, or with any other NIL group. Student-athletes cannot use UTEP logos, marks or branding in NIL activities.

Under UTEP’s NIL policy, the university cannot assist with “setting up or arranging for student-athletes to participate in NIL-related contracts or activities with boosters.”
The UTEP staff can forward information about potential NIL opportunities to student-athletes. UTEP did not respond to a request for an interview.
Other collectives
The Miner Collective is not the only NIL group available to UTEP student-athletes and businesses looking to support them.
Doyle Gaither, a lifelong basketball fan and 1966 graduate of UTEP, then known as Texas Western College, created Minerhoops.com to connect businesses to UTEP athletes at a smaller dollar level than the Miner Collective.
The site has support from El Paso businesses and professionals, including the Stanton House hotel and Dr. Jim Bowden, an El Paso dentist.

I never played the game,” Gaither said. “When I saw the rules were changed, that student-athletes could receive money, I was struck by the fact that smaller universities and individual players that weren’t nationally known weren’t getting the ability to capitalize on their NIL.”
On Minerhoops.com, a student-athlete and participating businesses and fans can register and create a page to interact with each other. It provides a NCAA-compliant way for them to financially support student-athletes. The site is currently working with six UTEP basketball players, according to Gaither.
He said Minerhoops.com has also expanded with a sister site called theNIL.app to include other colleges and sports. For example, he said, student-athletes on the UTEP rifle team have a niche but highly supportive fanbase that could mutually benefit from the web pages.

“The dollar amounts are meaningful but nominal,” Gaither said. “It’s a difference between a couple of really good meals a week, which is important to a lot of these young people. Many come from families who are not really able to give them a great college lifestyle.”
Haskins said it’s clear that there’s a need for business and community support of the Miner Collective if the community wants to attract strong players. He said the collective is eyeing whether charitable foundations can be an avenue of support.
“I think it’s a matter of people realizing they can be involved in this, and if El Paso doesn’t, it’s going to be a tough road for us to hoe,” Haskins said.
Rebecca Valdespino, marketing and communications manager at Winsupply of El Paso, said the company was brought into the NIL fold by Sinclair Broadcasting, which produced the company’s commercial featuring UTEP men’s basketball players, including UTEP forward Calvin Solomon.

“We’ve had great reception (to the ads),” Valdespino said. “They appreciate that we’ve included the Miners and recognized them.”
While UTEP can’t facilitate NIL deals, it does have a directory online that lists NIL student-athletes and their social media pages.

Rule changes, limitations
The NCAA first announced the NIL program in 2021. Each state makes its own NIL laws and policies for public universities, and the rules are very much still in flux.
Last week, an NCAA Division I council announced proposals intended to strengthen student-athlete protections related to NIL.
Proposals include a voluntary registry for NIL service providers; disclosure and aggregate reporting for certain parts or value amounts of agreements; a best practices guide for NIL contracts; and creating an education program for student-athletes and NIL service providers.

“As the association makes these changes to improve the environment for young people with NCAA rules, I look forward to partnering with members of Congress to build on these protections and create greater consistency and opportunities for all college athletes,” said Charlie Baker, NCAA president, in a news release.
There’s also a critical student population missing out on any NIL opportunities. International student-athletes on student visas cannot participate in NIL, and doing so can violate the terms of their visa.
Some analysts have said NIL rules could cement well-funded universities as sports powerhouses that make it harder for smaller schools and poorer communities to compete.
Student-athletes at UT Austin, long a powerhouse of college football and basketball, are cashing in on hefty NIL opportunities from a strong, loyal and well-funded fan base.

In a 2021 example, a group of UT Austin alums started the Pancake Factory NIL collective, which makes $800,000 available to the top 16 offensive and defensive linemen.
Haskins said while other schools may have a strong base, the NIL landscape ultimately does give UTEP a chance to compete if the community is willing to rally support.
“Everybody’s got a similar chance,” Haskins said. “Some schools have collectives that are stronger, or have a stronger base, and we’re just going to have to overcome that and see if our city can pull together and get people more educated and understanding of what this is, the small and big parts. "And winning always helps.”

Email El Paso Inc. staff writer Sara Sanchez at sesanchez@elpasoinc.comor call 915-534-4422.

Anyone giving via minerhoops.com? I might give if a player or two really emerge this year.

For much of its history, El Paso has had to work a little harder to showcase itself, a close-knit community isolated from the rest of the country.
But it’s long been a selling point that once you get here, you’ll understand why El Paso is so beloved.
As El Paso and UTEP student-athletes compete against other schools and cities that can offer more lucrative markets and name, image and likeness, or NIL, deals, Miner sports enthusiasts say it’s time to step up the support.

“We’re in a most unique time, where college sports is totally different, and we have to change with the times whether we like it or not,” said Steve Haskins, executive director of the Miner Collective. “I think we really have to make people understand that we can compete if we get involved.”

Collectively learning
Haskins was named the Miner Collective’s executive director in June. He isn’t just any average Miner sports fan. As the son of legendary UTEP coach Don Haskins, he’s spent much of his life around UTEP basketball and has seen the changes firsthand.
The Miner Collective was started in 2022. Since then, it has worked to bring together funders to support UTEP Men’s Basketball NIL athletes with a pool somewhere between $300,000 and $500,000, Haskins said.
The collective has a $5,000 minimum to join. Athletes in the Miner Collective are paid quarterly for the use of their name, image and likeness.
Members of the Miner Collective include Hunt Companies, Flo Networks, Casa Auto Group, Tecma, the law offices of Steve Ortega and Diversified Interiors.

UTEP is not affiliated with the Miner Collective, or with any other NIL group. Student-athletes cannot use UTEP logos, marks or branding in NIL activities.

Under UTEP’s NIL policy, the university cannot assist with “setting up or arranging for student-athletes to participate in NIL-related contracts or activities with boosters.”
The UTEP staff can forward information about potential NIL opportunities to student-athletes. UTEP did not respond to a request for an interview.
Other collectives
The Miner Collective is not the only NIL group available to UTEP student-athletes and businesses looking to support them.
Doyle Gaither, a lifelong basketball fan and 1966 graduate of UTEP, then known as Texas Western College, created Minerhoops.com to connect businesses to UTEP athletes at a smaller dollar level than the Miner Collective.
The site has support from El Paso businesses and professionals, including the Stanton House hotel and Dr. Jim Bowden, an El Paso dentist.

I never played the game,” Gaither said. “When I saw the rules were changed, that student-athletes could receive money, I was struck by the fact that smaller universities and individual players that weren’t nationally known weren’t getting the ability to capitalize on their NIL.”
On Minerhoops.com, a student-athlete and participating businesses and fans can register and create a page to interact with each other. It provides a NCAA-compliant way for them to financially support student-athletes. The site is currently working with six UTEP basketball players, according to Gaither.
He said Minerhoops.com has also expanded with a sister site called theNIL.app to include other colleges and sports. For example, he said, student-athletes on the UTEP rifle team have a niche but highly supportive fanbase that could mutually benefit from the web pages.

“The dollar amounts are meaningful but nominal,” Gaither said. “It’s a difference between a couple of really good meals a week, which is important to a lot of these young people. Many come from families who are not really able to give them a great college lifestyle.”
Haskins said it’s clear that there’s a need for business and community support of the Miner Collective if the community wants to attract strong players. He said the collective is eyeing whether charitable foundations can be an avenue of support.
“I think it’s a matter of people realizing they can be involved in this, and if El Paso doesn’t, it’s going to be a tough road for us to hoe,” Haskins said.
Rebecca Valdespino, marketing and communications manager at Winsupply of El Paso, said the company was brought into the NIL fold by Sinclair Broadcasting, which produced the company’s commercial featuring UTEP men’s basketball players, including UTEP forward Calvin Solomon.

“We’ve had great reception (to the ads),” Valdespino said. “They appreciate that we’ve included the Miners and recognized them.”
While UTEP can’t facilitate NIL deals, it does have a directory online that lists NIL student-athletes and their social media pages.

Rule changes, limitations
The NCAA first announced the NIL program in 2021. Each state makes its own NIL laws and policies for public universities, and the rules are very much still in flux.
Last week, an NCAA Division I council announced proposals intended to strengthen student-athlete protections related to NIL.
Proposals include a voluntary registry for NIL service providers; disclosure and aggregate reporting for certain parts or value amounts of agreements; a best practices guide for NIL contracts; and creating an education program for student-athletes and NIL service providers.

“As the association makes these changes to improve the environment for young people with NCAA rules, I look forward to partnering with members of Congress to build on these protections and create greater consistency and opportunities for all college athletes,” said Charlie Baker, NCAA president, in a news release.
There’s also a critical student population missing out on any NIL opportunities. International student-athletes on student visas cannot participate in NIL, and doing so can violate the terms of their visa.
Some analysts have said NIL rules could cement well-funded universities as sports powerhouses that make it harder for smaller schools and poorer communities to compete.
Student-athletes at UT Austin, long a powerhouse of college football and basketball, are cashing in on hefty NIL opportunities from a strong, loyal and well-funded fan base.

In a 2021 example, a group of UT Austin alums started the Pancake Factory NIL collective, which makes $800,000 available to the top 16 offensive and defensive linemen.
Haskins said while other schools may have a strong base, the NIL landscape ultimately does give UTEP a chance to compete if the community is willing to rally support.
“Everybody’s got a similar chance,” Haskins said. “Some schools have collectives that are stronger, or have a stronger base, and we’re just going to have to overcome that and see if our city can pull together and get people more educated and understanding of what this is, the small and big parts. "And winning always helps.”

Email El Paso Inc. staff writer Sara Sanchez at sesanchez@elpasoinc.comor call 915-534-4422.
I think they would get more participants if they lowered the $5000 threshold.

I think minerhoops takes any amount. I haven’t signed up yet, but likely will. The Collective is for businesses.

I wouldn't donate since Steve Yellen is involved. Yellen has a history of allegations of fraud and negligence.

I wouldn't donate since Steve Yellen is involved. Yellen has a history of allegations of fraud and negligence.

Wow so that's the correct Steve Yellen? With this history wonder why Haskins would have him involved, unless he was proven innocent and there's more to the story!? Very interesting though!

Reactions: kickballpro
Yes, that's him. Yellen got in trouble after Haskins passed away.

Well hopefully he's put that non sense behind him, but yeah that's not reassuring I'm sure! I was a little disappointed that we didn't bring in more Big name transfers this year, but hopefully this will start paying off soon. Looks like if I had to guess Powell probably got a nice NIL deal to come here and Utep's trying to make him the face of the program this year. He's gonna have some pressure this year, we'll see how he does!?

UTEP collectives could literally just buy a few great players. Too bad we don't have that kind of money or connections.

I can tell you've never met Steve personally. Those allegations have absolutely nothing to do with UTEP and you know it, so bringing this up is a sorry move to discredit a guy who paid the consequences for his actions yet has also done more for this school than I'm sure you ever have. Be better chief.

I can tell you've never met Steve personally. Those allegations have absolutely nothing to do with UTEP and you know it, so bringing this up is a sorry move to discredit a guy who paid the consequences for his actions yet has also done more for this school than I'm sure you ever have. Be better chief.

I have met Steve personally. He's a UTEP cheerleader. I can't stand him and I don't think Teicher likes him.

I brought it up because Steve is working with minerhoops.com

What has Steve done for UTEP? How much does he donate every year?

NoWeenies is everywhere on this board with many different names. He's easy to spot and doesn't have anything good to say.

NoWeenies is everywhere on this board with many different names. He's easy to spot and doesn't have anything good to say.

I have no clue who "NoWeenies" is and where he is on this board. Maybe it's a joke I missed?

So you would be comfortable with Steve Yellen handling your money?

I have met Steve personally. He's a UTEP cheerleader. I can't stand him and I don't think Teicher likes him.

I brought it up because Steve is working with minerhoops.com

You've never met Steve, and your Teicher comment just proves to me you have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously have some kind of an agenda, so quit embarrassing yourself and go post stuff you actually know something about.

• Haha
Reactions: EPUTEP
You've never met Steve, and your Teicher comment just proves to me you have no idea what you're talking about. You obviously have some kind of an agenda, so quit embarrassing yourself and go post stuff you actually know something about.

I have met Steve.

My opinion is Teicher doesn't like Steve.

What agenda do I have? What would I be embarrassed about?

Reactions: kickballpro

So you would be ok with Steve Yellen handling $1,000's? How much money did you donate?

The Internet is a funny place.

Post facts.

The peanut gallery:

"you obviously have some kind of an agenda"

"quit embarrassing yourself"

😂😂😂

I think we found Steve Yellen's burner account. 🧐😅

I have met Steve.

My opinion is Teicher doesn't like Steve.

What agenda do I have? What would I be embarrassed about?

I can tell you for a FACT, your opinion is wrong. What has Steve done for UTEP? You're either new to UTEP sports or not very bright, and yes, I'd be okay with him handling our money. As far as his donation amount, that's pretty easy to look up. As far as my donation amount, that's none of your business, but I'm sure it's more than what you give.

• Haha
I can tell you for a FACT, your opinion is wrong. What has Steve done for UTEP? You're either new to UTEP sports or not very bright, and yes, I'd be okay with him handling our money. As far as his donation amount, that's pretty easy to look up. As far as my donation amount, that's none of your business, but I'm sure it's more than what you give.

Since its a fact, then please prove it.

Since it's so easy to look up, then please provide the donation amount.

I've been following UTEP for a long time. Yellen add homer comments to the broadcasts. What has he done for UTEP? How much does he donate every year? How is UTEP better because of Yellen?

lol Oh, you're one of those people. You think you have have more money than others and act arrogant.

You're either a troll or you're a fool if you would let Steve Yellen handle your money.

Since its a fact, then please prove it.

Since it's so easy to look up, then please provide the donation amount.

I've been following UTEP for a long time. Yellen add homer comments to the broadcasts. What has he done for UTEP? How much does he donate every year? How is UTEP better because of Yellen?

lol Oh, you're one of those people. You think you have have more money than others and act arrogant.

You're either a troll or you're a fool if you would let Steve Yellen handle your money.
I don't have to prove shit, because anyone who has followed UTEP sports for a long time as you claim, is aware of what he's done for the university AND the community. I can't help that you haven't figured out Google or purchased a game program that lists individual donations. Now, if you don't like him as a broadcaster, that's another story and I respect your opinion.

As for me, I never said I have more money than others, so don't put words in my mouth. I make donations to the athletic program and my school because I love UTEP and the El Paso community, even though I didn't grow up there or reside there now. Calling me arrogant is projecting, as I'm doing nothing other than calling out your insecurities and inaccuracies to the board who apparently don't think very highly of you anyway.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I don't have to prove shit, because anyone who has followed UTEP sports for a long time as you claim, is aware of what he's done for the university AND the community. I can't help that you haven't figured out Google or purchased a game program that lists individual donations. Now, if you don't like him as a broadcaster, that's another story and I respect that your opinion.

As for me, I never said I have more money than others, so don't put words in my mouth. I make donations to the athletic program and my school because I love UTEP and the El Paso community, even though I didn't grow up there or reside there now. Calling me arrogant is projecting, as I'm doing nothing other than calling out your insecurities and inaccuracies to the board who apparently don't think very highly of you anyway.

So what has he done for UTEP and El Paso? You still haven't stated that.

Programs haven't been available for purchase for years.

Show me the link where it shows the donations.

This is what you said: "As far as my donation amount, that's none of your business, but I'm sure it's more than what you give."

My insecurities and insecurities? What the heck are you talking about? 😂😂😂

I don't care what people on the Internet think about me. Some people like my posts and I'm sure some disagree with my posts.

I don't have to prove shit, because anyone who has followed UTEP sports for a long time as you claim, is aware of what he's done for the university AND the community. I can't help that you haven't figured out Google or purchased a game program that lists individual donations. Now, if you don't like him as a broadcaster, that's another story and I respect that your opinion.

fwahbevo, you've been baited and bullied my friend.

Remember autographboy, dangomez1997, dementiajoe, denverutep, elplaso1, elpaso777, elpasochihuahuas, elpasoisgreat, eputep, fedupminer, honeyboy95, hotforkeitha, minerfan79, minermaniac2023, shovelman66, sportsopinion, etc? Ever notice how similar their posts are?
They start a new account and go from rookie to starter in a few days using the same tactics and posting constantly. Come on, how many new miner fans are really out there?

Why does Rivals allow it? Because their job is to generate content to make the site seem more active than it is. Why would Rivals allow 1 or 2 people to open new accounts at will when the rest of us can't?

The only way to defeat this is: Don't feed the flipping troll(s). Do we really want to be manipulated like this?
End of rant! Nope you made it this far.

• Haha
Reactions: fwahbevo and EPUTEP
So what has he done for UTEP and El Paso? You still haven't stated that.

Programs haven't been available for purchase for years.

Show me the link where it shows the donations.

This is what you said: "As far as my donation amount, that's none of your business, but I'm sure it's more than what you give."

My insecurities and insecurities? What the heck are you talking about? 😂😂😂

I don't care what people on the Internet think about me. Some people like my posts and I'm sure some disagree with my posts.
I'm sorry, you're literally too weak to debate, and I'm done being dragged down your rabbit hole of dumbassedness. Have a nice evening, and Go Miners!

I'm sorry, you're literally too weak to debate, and I'm done being dragged down your rabbit hole of dumbassedness. Have a nice evening, and Go Miners!

lol Now I'm "weak". 😂😂😂 You are the person that responded to me. You stated things, without posting proof. I, on the other hand, do the opposite.

Good luck to you!

Remember autographboy, dangomez1997, dementiajoe, denverutep, elplaso1, elpaso777, elpasochihuahuas, elpasoisgreat, eputep, fedupminer, honeyboy95, hotforkeitha, minerfan79, minermaniac2023, shovelman66, sportsopinion, etc? Ever notice how similar their posts are?
They start a new account and go from rookie to starter in a few days using the same tactics and posting constantly. Come on, how many new miner fans are really out there?

Why does Rivals allow it? Because their job is to generate content to make the site seem more active than it is. Why would Rivals allow 1 or 2 people to open new accounts at will when the rest of us can't?

The only way to defeat this is: Don't feed the flipping troll(s). Do we really want to be manipulated like this?

Wait, but @fwahbevo said I'm weak and insecure. I think I've been bullied. 😆😆😆

Thanks for the heads up. Just trying to give attention to a titty baby who obviously has mommy issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT