ADVERTISEMENT

Miner basketball -- what's the solution

Bro, UTEP can’t even fix the damn heater, you think they can build a new arena!?
Maybe the administration and the athletic department should consider/ debate either structural renovation or rebuild the DHC. Texas, UHouston, TCU, SMU all have more updated structures. Baylor will be next.

Kappy was talking about the NIL Collective UTEP will have next year and it should help UTEP's recruiting. They lost a Player to UConn over the NIL this season.

How many Scholorships do we have? Givance is a Senior and McKinney has been dismissed. David Terrell and Trey Horton are in.

But the key to fixing basketball is an NIL deal.

Kappy was talking about the NIL Collective UTEP will have next year and it should help UTEP's recruiting. They lost a Player to UConn over the NIL this season.

How many Scholorships do we have? Givance is a Senior and McKinney has been dismissed. David Terrell and Trey Horton are in.

Yes, Golding brought in Joey Calcaterra on an official visit as a transfer from San Diego. Ultimately, Calcaterra ended up signing with UCONN. Like Dae Dae Grant, Calcaterra could have really helped this team as a shooter. Calcaterra is averaging about 14 minutes per game with UCONN after playing 30 minutes per game the year before.

In regards to the NIL collective, I agree it is a key. My question is why wasn't in place last year? Other similar schools were able to have NILs in place, but of course not UTEP. Again, this points to the lack of leadership by the school's administration. Instead of resisting and complaining about the NIL collective, they should have been working behind the scenes to have this in place. Instead, we are faced with another lost season at UTEP, with a team that is next to last in it's conference, just barely ahead of a school that allocates almost all of it's resources to football. Again, is there any accountability at UTEP?

Givance is hit or miss. Sometimes he does a good job managing the game and I wish we had him for another year. Other times he is so turnover prone and doesn't value possessions enough. Ultimately, I hope we upgrade for him but his 4 years of experience will be difficult to replace.

I'm glad to hear McKinney has been dismissed. Early on I thought he might bring something to the table. The potential appeared to be there, but ultimately it wasn't and his mindset and attitude are probably why he's gone from at least his 3rd school.

I bet we lose at least 3 more leaving some openings to fill in some keys spots. If Golding can't get it done next year, I'm all for looking elsewhere.

Givance is hit or miss. Sometimes he does a good job managing the game and I wish we had him for another year. Other times he is so turnover prone and doesn't value possessions enough. Ultimately, I hope we upgrade for him but his 4 years of experience will be difficult to replace.

I'm glad to hear McKinney has been dismissed. Early on I thought he might bring something to the table. The potential appeared to be there, but ultimately it wasn't and his mindset and attitude are probably why he's gone from at least his 3rd school.

I bet we lose at least 3 more leaving some openings to fill in some keys spots. If Golding can't get it done next year, I'm all for looking elsewhere.
Mckinney has as much talent as anyone, but it is obvious he has not worked on his game over the last 4 years and is still relying on his God given gifts. That only takes you so far. His 3 point shooting is awful. The reason guys like Souley Boum and Bryson Williams continued to get better, was that they were the hardest working guys on the team(In addition to their immense talent).

Hopefully some of the returning guys on the team can work on their shot in the off-season and become a threat from deep. It is possible as Bienmany, Boum, and Kennedy all improved their 3 point shooting from one-year to the next. In addition to any new players, we should hopefully expect Frazier, Hardy, Solomon, Onyema, Sibley(maybe) to all continue to develop.

Agree with you, I will miss Givance, great guy and a solid player.

There have been plenty of freshman guards come in to CUSA and do well. Maybe we can hit on one next year in addition to whatever the NIL might bring in.

Reactions: Lil_Train
In regards to the NIL collective, I agree it is a key. My question is why wasn't in place last year? Other similar schools were able to have NILs in place, but of course not UTEP. Again, this points to the lack of leadership by the school's administration. Instead of resisting and complaining about the NIL collective, they should have been working behind the scenes to have this in place. Instead, we are faced with another lost season at UTEP, with a team that is next to last in it's conference, just barely ahead of a school that allocates almost all of it's resources to football. Again, is there any accountability at UTEP?
NIL money comes from third parties, not UTEP. The organizing of NIL collectives needs to be driven by boosters.

NIL money comes from third parties, not UTEP. The organizing of NIL collectives needs to be driven by boosters.
While theoretically true, let’s not fool ourselves. Coaches do the recruiting. Coaches decide who they want. Collaboration has to happen at a deep level between coach and collective to acquire who they’re after recruiting wise.

This is true, but ADs and Presidents are critical in engaging the boosters. An AD shouldn't say the "inmates are running the prison" in any context related to NIL. Is this a time to alienate the few boosters left even more? The college landscape has changed, and UTEP was again flat footed leaving the few fans that are left having to deal with another lost season in basketball. We haven't even begun to talk about football.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT