ADVERTISEMENT

Miner Football Scrimmage

I have 100% complete faith in Metz and would trust my children with Will in West Englewood in south Chicago on a Friday night at midnight. They will either win the games that need to be won (UNT, NMSU) and will give Marvel hero effort to those that UTEP should perhaps win.

I realize that some local sports media and fans are elated about the defense but I am holding out. Kug stated the D line is 290-300 lbs up front on the d line as compared to the 240-250 range of prior years but the talent is not battle field tested. Also, with the offensive philosophy of Kugler, the defense will be called upon to many times to make the big plays just like they had to do the last two years and that wears them down by middle of the third quarter.

Torrez belongs at the FBS level, and will get a chance to develop first-hand experience this season, compared to running the scout team last season.....From Miner Rush.......I actually find your post offensive. If you can play, you can play I don't care if your from El Paso. I do believe that the players recruited by Kugler have potential to help the team, whether it's now or the future. Ridiculous assessment on your part. I hope these players prove you wrong, just like the Jones brothers have done.

Yanno, I don't care if you find my post offensive. I'm offended that you are so blind that you want my team filled with local kids to make you feel better instead of wanting us to win....How bout that?

My assessment is ridiculous? How so Jo? What have the kids Kugler brought in done while here? Getting us some wins? yeah....

The fact is simply this....kids from El Paso aren't producing in large enough numbers to justify filling the roster with them. After we only win 4 or less games this year, you and the like will continue to hope for the best pointing out the schedule and all.

Yes Defense, we are playing more road games but every year at least one is a money game because Stull is trying to balance the budget getting paid instead of building a winning program and paying the bills with fan support.

And yes defense, Kugler has bigger bodies and depth but if they still get pushed around, what good is it?

I like Metz. I have cheered for him since Andress. I STILL think we could have gotten, and developed, a better D1 ready QB in all these years. If he is so good, why can't we open up the offense? Oh wait...no WRs....hey what about Senigal? Oh hey, he's local...Kugler doesn't want to open the offense? maybe because of the LACK OF TALENT?

We can go on and on.....

I LOVED the Kugler hire. I LOVE my Miners.....things should change

I want change. I love the NMSU domination. He takes the rivalry to heart. I totally trust his recruiting because UTEP has solid talent.

It his conservative play calling. He has to know when to go for the jugular but most times when a turnover comes miner way he keeps it on the ground and has to give it right back without even flipping the field either. It gets frustrating.

Really? Because the stats seem to support it. Reed had more total tackles than any other d-lineman over Price's final two years here. Reed also ranked in the top 2 for the entire team in Tackles For Losses during both of Mike Price's final two seasons here. In fact, Reed was only 1/2 TFL away from tying Horace Miller(who was essentially a LB) for the TFL team lead in both of those years. Reed then had more combined total tackles than Horace Miller had over those final two years, even though Miller started more games during that 2 year period. Oh and Reed accomplished all of this despite playing on the interior of the d-line, not as an outside blitzer. There is a very strong argument that he was the best defensive lineman that we had during that time period and these above stats do not even include the 3rd year(2011), which was Reed's Freshman year, when he both led the entire team in QB Pressures and led all defensive linemen in Tackles For Loss......and again, he did all this from an interior d-line position.

Check total tackles, tackles for losses, sacks, and games played by UTEP defensive linemen for '11, '12, and '13, see what you get...

BTW, Reed was a RS Soph in '11, not a freshman...

Well, I wouldn't....and I didn't.......count 2013 because that was Kugler's first year and I clearly said "for about 3 seasons under Price, Germard Reed was our best D-Lineman."

Reed led all UTEP defensive linemen in Tackles For Loss as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior! Those 3 years were also Mike Price's final 3 seasons. In addition to leading all d-linemen, Reed also ranked in the top 2 on our entire team(including the LB's and DB's) in Tackles For Loss as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior! He tied a LB for the team lead as a Freshman, he finished second behind a LB by only 1/2 TFL as a Soph, and again he finished second behind a LB by only 1/2 TFL as a Junior. And again, he did all of this as a Defensive Tackle. I stand behind my opinion that he was our top defensive lineman for about a 3 year period.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
Well, I wouldn't....and I didn't.......count 2013 because that was Kugler's first year and I clearly said "for about 3 seasons under Price, Germard Reed was our best D-Lineman."

Reed led all UTEP defensive linemen in Tackles For Loss as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior! Those 3 years were also Mike Price's final 3 seasons. In addition to leading all d-linemen, Reed also ranked in the top 2 on our entire team(including the LB's and DB's) in Tackles For Loss as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior! He tied a LB for the team lead as a Freshman, he finished second behind a LB by only 1/2 TFL as a Soph, and again he finished second behind a LB by only 1/2 TFL as a Junior. And again, he did all of this as a Defensive Tackle. I stand behind my opinion that he was our top defensive lineman for about a 3 year period.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but your selective use of stats to make your point (e.g. using freshman data but omitting senior data) is curious, doesn't fit your narrative that he was the "best" during that period. What difference does it make that '13 was Kugler's first season, you said Reed was the best UTEP dlineman of the period, presumably including Germard's senior class. Guess the senior season didn't count. Let's be clear - Germard was a good football player. However, he strongly reminded of Trevor Vittatoe's career - both were exceptional talents their first two seasons, but neither really ever took it to the next level after that. Which is why I suggested incorporating his senior stats to get a FULL picture, after all, he and all of the other '13 Dline starters were all Price recruits. If you did, you'd find that Reed was a complete non-factor his senior season. And of course Germard never came close to the next level, either. But those points wouldn't fit your point...

What I find truly funny is that you make much of Reed's stats but then argue that he wouldn't even start on this year's iteration of UTEP's defensive line. Really? Like UTEP's loaded or something this year? Remember, Reed and his Class of '13 played MUCH stronger competition, week in and week out. Weekly conference games against Houston, Tulsa, East Carolina, Central Florida, SMU, Marshall, non-conference games against, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Wisconsin, Colorado State, etc. But he couldn't start for a Dline that gave up 77 points last year to Army? Please...

What is truly remarkable (and sad) is Germard Reed and his class of '13 defensive team mates played four base defensive sets under four different defensive coordinators during their career at UTEP. Think about that!

Another point, Reed struggled with injuries, particularly in '13 because Kugler absolutely KILLED that football team, first in August and then during the season! Live hitting - ones against ones! - was standard on Wednesdays regular DURING THE SEASON! Many of those kids were recovering from the prior Saturday and Kugler is running first team offense and defense, full speed! Those kids would be forced to go full speed drills BEFORE practices, those kids were half exhausted BEFORE practice. Germard and many others on that team struggled to stay healthy because their new head coach was looking to make a name and a statement - at their expense.

Anyway, my last word on the subject...

You don't find it odd that you accused me of using "selective facts", but then you have to keep trying to force Reed's often injured 4th year Senior season into your equation, in order to contest my quote that he was our best d-lineman "for about 3 years". Of course I remember Reed's injuries and disapointment as a Senior, and that is why from the beginning I specifically said "for about 3 years". And for THREE CONSECUTIVE YEARS, as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior, Reed led all d-linemen in TFL. Those 3 consecutive years are facts, not selective facts.

Have a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: sportsfan5000
Yanno, I don't care if you find my post offensive. I'm offended that you are so blind that you want my team filled with local kids to make you feel better instead of wanting us to win....How bout that?

My assessment is ridiculous? How so Jo? What have the kids Kugler brought in done while here? Getting us some wins? yeah....

The fact is simply this....kids from El Paso aren't producing in large enough numbers to justify filling the roster with them. After we only win 4 or less games this year, you and the like will continue to hope for the best pointing out the schedule and all.

Yes Defense, we are playing more road games but every year at least one is a money game because Stull is trying to balance the budget getting paid instead of building a winning program and paying the bills with fan support.

And yes defense, Kugler has bigger bodies and depth but if they still get pushed around, what good is it?

I like Metz. I have cheered for him since Andress. I STILL think we could have gotten, and developed, a better D1 ready QB in all these years. If he is so good, why can't we open up the offense? Oh wait...no WRs....hey what about Senigal? Oh hey, he's local...Kugler doesn't want to open the offense? maybe because of the LACK OF TALENT?

We can go on and on.....

I LOVED the Kugler hire. I LOVE my Miners.....things should change

I ask you this....has anything changed in the last 100 or so years of UTEP football? Doesn't matter where we get a recruit. If they can play, recruit them. Sign them up, I don't care where they are from. So answer my question.

Yep...We've had a very few coaches that won here. We've gone to a few bowl games. We've improved our facilities. We've had numerous players play professionally. We've changed our logo. We changed the turf on the field. Yes, things have changed.

But we are losing once again. And I feel with Kugler at the helm, there is no end in sight. Yes, it matters where we get a recruit. You don't see Bama, Texas, Texas Tech, or even UNM coming to El Paso to get recruits. There just isn't enough talent here. Period. Naturally, there are a couple of kids worth taking a look at, but when you fill your roster with local kids, you are setting yourself up for failure.
You say "If they can play, recruit them. Sign them up, I don't care where they are from." But in reality, no one else is recruiting El Paso kids. So, can they really play D1 ball? And going with the last part of your silly comment, why not go find kids that can play no matter where they are from OUTSIDE OF EL PASO!.

Look man, I bleed UTEP orange, but your blinders are better than the ones used for the eclipse. They even border of dumb.

You don't see Bama, Texas, Texas Tech, or even UNM coming to El Paso to get recruits.
Aside from Alabama all those schools you mentioned have come into El Paso and picked up recruits.

Currently we also have a safety playing for Arizona. A WR going to UTAH. A QB starting for Colorado. A potential starting WR in Minnesota.

There are some solid recruits. UTEP hasn't been able to land some of the bigger names yet. If UTEP under Kugler does the unthinkable and produce a few winning seasons a lot of El Paso High School players will start getting noticed. El Dorado is turning into an FBS factory on the Far East side.

Reactions: MinerJo
Aside from Alabama all those schools you mentioned have come into El Paso and picked up recruits.

Currently we also have a safety playing for Arizona. A WR going to UTAH. A QB starting for Colorado. A potential starting WR in Minnesota.

There are some solid recruits. UTEP hasn't been able to land some of the bigger names yet. If UTEP under Kugler does the unthinkable and produce a few winning seasons a lot of El Paso High School players will start getting noticed. El Dorado is turning into an FBS factory on the Far East side.
Fair enough....BUT.....

Of the kids you listed, 1 is a freshman, 2 are sophomores, and 1 is a junior. So, ,if all 4 would have come here instead, would we be winning 8 games this year? And, based on your extensive list of star players coming out of El Paso, are there enough to fill a roster in D1 every year? (which Kugs is trying to do)
I agree, El Dorado has produced the best recent talent, but as a whole, how many kids in EL PASO are D1? When the big schools come recruiting in town, they are all usually looking at the same 1 or 2 kids, not the whole damn city.

of all the kids on football scholarship at UTEP, how many had any offers from elsewhere? (meaning big schools)
Look man, I do agree there are a FEW good D1 kids coming out of El Chuco. My point is there is not enough to fill 1/3 of your team and win. If Kugler was stealing ONE away a year, that would be cool. He isn't.
Everyone was all "oooohhhhh we got josh fields", but who really recruited him? And I haven't heard about him breaking into the first team at UTEP yet! His brother was recruited, and went to, Boise....how did that play out for him? (for the record, I don't mean to bash them. Awesome kids from an awesome family)

We can go back and forth all day (or weeks), but unless we start winning THIS year, getting mainly El Paso kids is the WRONG way to go. I don't care if we get a couple steals a year, if we don't win games and go to bowls, it doesn't matter and your point is moot. Look around the country at ANY school that has success. You will find the roster splattered with kids from everywhere.

Says Sinegal made the grade! It was reported that he had not passed his classes and would be unavailable this year. Good for him!

With regards to recruiting EP talent, why the hell not. We haven't had much success going nation wide. Unless this city starts to support with their dollars this will probably be what we need to settle for.

Reactions: MinerJo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT