ADVERTISEMENT

More Portal News

Yes good for him, he’s enrolling at A&M tomorrow. He gets to play 3 hours from home for what should be a pretty good team (you never know with A&M), and can be a part of one of the best alumni networks in the world.
Where did you see that he's going to A&M?

Where did you see that he's going to A&M?
Billy Liucci from TexAgs saying there’s a pretty good chance he enrolls at a&m and is with the team by tomorrow which is the last day a spring semester student can enroll at the school.

With sooo many guys transferring and utilizing the portal, my understanding is a lot of high school guys are having to look going the juco route because there is just not enough scholarships available. So I guess my question is is Dimel just giving up on high school recruits even though there is more quality available than in the past? Or is he thinking if he gets high school and they are decent, he’ll eventually lose them to the portal? It just seems that he is really just building his team from primarily Juco.

With sooo many guys transferring and utilizing the portal, my understanding is a lot of high school guys are having to look going the juco route because there is just not enough scholarships available. So I guess my question is is Dimel just giving up on high school recruits even though there is more quality available than in the past? Or is he thinking if he gets high school and they are decent, he’ll eventually lose them to the portal? It just seems that he is really just building his team from primarily Juco.
I’m curious about that statement. Seems to me the amount of scholarships available to HS kids wouldn’t be affected. Sure there is more lateral movement among those who already have a full ride, but it’s basically an even trade, one scholarship for another, so it’s not really taking any away from somebody. As one transfers and takes up a scholarship at a new school, one vacates one at the same time.

Guys are gonna exhaust their eligibility at the same rate as before, opening up relatively the same amount of scholarships that have always been available. Those are essentially the schollies that HS kids receive.

Perhaps I’m missing something, though.

Last edited:
I’m curious about that statement. Seems to me the amount of scholarships available to HS kids wouldn’t be affected. Sure there is more lateral movement among those who already have a full ride, but it’s basically an even trade, one scholarship for another, so it’s not really taking any away from somebody. As one transfers and takes up a scholarship at a new school, one vacates one at the same time.

Guys are gonna exhaust their eligibility at the same rate as before, opening up relatively the same amount of scholarships that have always been available. Those are essentially the schollies that HS kids receive.

Perhaps I’m missing something, though.
You're logic makes sense Fanatico. Check out the following article regarding the transfer portal and high school players. See what you think about this guy's perspective:

Reactions: MineroFanatico
You're logic makes sense Fanatico. Check out the following article regarding the transfer portal and high school players. See what you think about this guy's perspective:

It’s roughly the same narrative I’ve read/heard about the situation. Still no clearer.

According to the writer of the article: “Now those five scholarships are going to transfer portal guys. Some schools are even giving their final eight to 10 scholarships to transfer portal guys instead of high school kids. And when you do the math, factoring in how many colleges are doing that, it’s crushing to high school kids.”

It still doesn’t quite fill in the gaps for me. If the “final eight to 10 scholarships” are going to transfer portal guys. Who are the vacated schollies of those 8 to 10 guys going to? Other transfer portal guys? If so who are their vacated scholarships going to?

Any lateral movement (a scholarship player moving and receiving another scholarship) opens up as many scholarships as it “takes” away.

I’m not saying that it’s not true, it just doesn’t make much sense to me as to how/why it would be true.

Reactions: Lil_Train
It’s roughly the same narrative I’ve read/heard about the situation. Still no clearer.

According to the writer of the article: “Now those five scholarships are going to transfer portal guys. Some schools are even giving their final eight to 10 scholarships to transfer portal guys instead of high school kids. And when you do the math, factoring in how many colleges are doing that, it’s crushing to high school kids.”

It still doesn’t quite fill in the gaps for me. If the “final eight to 10 scholarships” are going to transfer portal guys. Who are the vacated schollies of those 8 to 10 guys going to? Other transfer portal guys? If so who are their vacated scholarships going to?

Any lateral movement (a scholarship player moving and receiving another scholarship) opens up as many scholarships as it “takes” away.

I’m not saying that it’s not true, it just doesn’t make much sense to me as to how/why it would be true.
Yep. I think that the statistics over time will ultimately tell the truth. It does appear many mid major schools in particular are relying much more heavily on JUCOs, which in turn, contributes to fewer high school offers. Of course, this is indirect effect of the transfer portal itself, but the end result would be the same. It does seem that a "farm league" approach isn't too far away for college football, with good amount of players starting in "single A"/JUCO.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yep. I think that the statistics over time will ultimately tell the truth. It does appear many mid major schools in particular are relying much more heavily on JUCOs, which in turn, contributes to fewer high school offers. Of course, this is indirect effect of the transfer portal itself, but the end result would be the same. It does seem that a "farm league" approach isn't too far away for college football, with good amount of players starting in "single A"/JUCO.
Now that does make sense. Agree with the farm league statement, too.

Reactions: Lil_Train
One of the issues I have with Dimel is UTEP is not getting any players from the transfer portal. We’ve lost some great players to the TP, but it doesn’t appear that Dimel is even trying to get any players from the TP. I’ve seen other mid majors like nmsu and la tech pick up some pretty good players from the TP and UTEP is relying heavily on juco players. The other thing that concerns me is we seem to be competing with FCS schools for many of our recruits. We’re no longer competing with other mid majors for recruits and this can’t be a good thing.

Lil and Fanatic a thought here. Isn't it possible that because of the extra covid year, and kids staying longer, it locks up more scholarships that high school kids would get? It should balance itself out a bit in another year os so, no?

Lil and Fanatic a thought here. Isn't it possible that because of the extra covid year, and kids staying longer, it locks up more scholarships that high school kids would get? It should balance itself out a bit in another year os so, no?
Yeah, that is quite possible. The reasons you and lil_train bring up make logical sense. It’s just not what a lot of these writer’s are attributing the scholarship shortage to. Anyway…

I also think the Covid year is a factor. It may take a few years to see how things shake out. I tend to agree with SAMINERGIRL in terms of the current trends. With UTEP, Dimel has made his approach very clear in recruiting mostly JUCOs. In reality, JUCOs are just as likely to transfer away as high school guys (see Tyrin Smith). The upside is that you have a better idea if their play will translate to the D1 level. I too wish Dimel would use the transfer portal more. With the new, more stringent 2nd transfer rules, it may be a better way of "building" a program. Obviously, this applies to basketball as well

Reactions: topminer
One of the issues I have with Dimel is UTEP is not getting any players from the transfer portal. We’ve lost some great players to the TP, but it doesn’t appear that Dimel is even trying to get any players from the TP. I’ve seen other mid majors like nmsu and la tech pick up some pretty good players from the TP and UTEP is relying heavily on juco players. The other thing that concerns me is we seem to be competing with FCS schools for many of our recruits. We’re no longer competing with other mid majors for recruits and this can’t be a good thing.
Would be cool if someone in the TV media called out Dimel out for this and starts putting pressure on him, wishful thinking tho.....

All I see is Dimel recruiting D and O linemen... He needs some damn WRs! This only (fine, mostly) Juco crap, is going to be his down fall... That and play calling, oh and game management... lol

Would be cool if someone in the TV media called out Dimel out for this and starts putting pressure on him, wishful thinking tho.....
"He's a JUCO guy. That's how he and Snyder built KSU."

That's what they say and what you will hear. They are all in on Dimel except for Bloomquist surprisingly, who has voiced frustration for the on field performance of the team. His basic premise being Dimel can not put a complete game together and which has been a consistent pattern.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT